Why? Help me make sense please.

Options
I like it, but I'm befuddled.

I don't understand the difference. You all are more objective. Point out what I'm overlooking or missing please. Why did I lose three pounds in 11 days, my goal and "ideal" was 0.6 lbs a week. (Not that I'm complaining, I'm delighted, but confused.)

I usually don't have to really do much to maintain my weight - just "watch it". But a 10 lbs weight gain that didn't go away for about a year spurred me back to doing something. I thought I was watching my foods and exercising more, but no change for two months. I found this site. Eleven days here and I've lost three lbs. I just started here in order to track what I've been doing to see what needs tweaking.

There has been no radical change in my lifestyle, exercise or eating. I didn't keep track before, but I'm eating the same meals so the calories have got to be somewhat similar (although admittedly probably slightly less ~100 - 200 day less.) I've got the same daily routine, although I do want to kick up my exercise during the week more, my weekends are very active and I bike commute each weekday. My calories happen to end up pretty near the suggested goal calories, although I follow my hunger rather than go by calories. Slightly over or under each day.

Since my childhood I have been mostly vegan in my eating patterns although I do eat meat we order from a rancher (no hormones or antibiotics.) For at least a dozen years I have not eaten dairy, eggs, wheat or gluten due to food intolerances.

What am I doing right and different from before so I can keep it up?

Starting weight 117
Starting BMI 23.6

Current weight 114
Current BMI 23

Goal weight 105 (the weight my body seems to like best)
Goal BMI 21

Thanks

Replies

• jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    I like it, but I'm befuddled.

I don't understand the difference. You all are more objective. Point out what I'm overlooking or missing please. Why did I lose three pounds in 11 days, my goal and "ideal" was 0.6 lbs a week. (Not that I'm complaining, I'm delighted, but confused.)

I usually don't have to really do much to maintain my weight - just "watch it". But a 10 lbs weight gain that didn't go away for about a year spurred me back to doing something. I thought I was watching my foods and exercising more, but no change for two months. I found this site. Eleven days here and I've lost three lbs. I just started here in order to track what I've been doing to see what needs tweaking.

There has been no radical change in my lifestyle, exercise or eating. I didn't keep track before, but I'm eating the same meals so the calories have got to be somewhat similar (although admittedly probably slightly less ~100 - 200 day less.) I've got the same daily routine, although I do want to kick up my exercise during the week more, my weekends are very active and I bike commute each weekday. My calories happen to end up pretty near the suggested goal calories, although I follow my hunger rather than go by calories. Slightly over or under each day.

Since my childhood I have been mostly vegan in my eating patterns although I do eat meat we order from a rancher (no hormones or antibiotics.) For at least a dozen years I have not eaten dairy, eggs, wheat or gluten due to food intolerances.

What am I doing right and different from before so I can keep it up?

Starting weight 117
    Starting BMI 23.6

Current weight 114
    Current BMI 23

Goal weight 105 (the weight my body seems to like best)
    Goal BMI 21

Thanks
  • vickyt
    vickyt Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what to answer you... The only thing I can see is that if you just started dieting ( within those 11 days) when you joined this site, it may be the reason why you lost 3 pounds in 11 days, your metabolism gets a kick start when you change your eating habits , then when your metabolism gets used to the lessened calorie intake, you're weight loss becomes more regulated ( like you said 0.6 pounds in 1 week) In the first three days here i lost 2 pounds, which was the goal i had set for myself, but since then( 3 weeks ago) I've only lost another 2 pounds (which is my goal per week)... Hope it explained some... I may be wrong but it seems like its the way its gone for many people close to me:flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    It's typical to lose a lot or to lose it faster at first. Most of it is probably water weight. Our weight, particularly women, can fluctuate anywhere from 5-10 pounds or more per day depending based solely on water weight.
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    Thanks, that does make sense. I didn't think I've changed much, but I bet I have since I'm recording it now.

I also just realized that my life got a LOT less stressful than it had been for the past two years and especially the last six months. I've been getting more sleep in the last few weeks.

I'll just keep on plugging along. Thanks again.

This site is so great with people of all sizes and places in their life working together to be healthier.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    you'll be amazed at the unexpected benefits you'll discover from changing to a healthy lifestyle--

--I have less stress
    --for the first time in 10 or more years, I actually go to sleep at a "normal" hour (10pm) and sleep about 7 hours. Contrasted to staying up until 1:00am or later and getting about 4 hour sleep before
    --stopped chewing my fingernails
    --less irritable
    --more patient

the list goes on!
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    Thanks Shorerider.
    I had a pretty good system going and then up and moved the whole family across the country for graduate school, a five year program. I still have not found the new balance yet, but I'm closer and working on it.

BTW, nice loss number there! Congrats!