What do you eat when you're on the go??

I am new to MFP and am still in the beginning stages of understanding what to eat, and so far it has been pretty decent. Problem is, I have always been home in order to make myself a meal. I will be out and about, I still need to eat a filling meal, but not sure what to do in this case. Any ideas?

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I premake a lot of my stuff so I can still eat right when I'm at work. I actually seem to eat better on work days than days when I'm home.

I snack on carrots daily. Bananas are a favorite.
    And I make a mix of 1 scoop of protein powder (chocolate or banana) 1/2 cup of oats and 1 TBS of peanut butter.
    Thats a filling snack with protein, good fats, and whole grains.
  • Akaratel
    Akaratel Posts: 137 Member
    almonds (most filling), yogurt, nutrigrain bar, baby carrots, fruit.....these are my most common, i like to mix it up though.
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Those are good snacks, I agree... I actually meant dinner though, on nights when I'm not home to cook. Those snacks are great, but they aren't going to fill me up in place of a full meal. Thanks though, you did give me some ideas for while I'm at work!
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    For snacks, I tend to use The special K cereal bars, the Special K mini breaks pouches or Tracker cereal bars. Although very occasionally I'll get a chocolate bar, if I feel I've enough calories to cover it.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    I pre-make chicken strips. I take a chicken breast, cut it up, season it with Mrs, Dash and cook. Bag them up in grab baggies and put them in the frig. When I'm about to leave I grab one of the baggies, nuke it for about 60 secs and I'm out the door. I also carry around nuts or low fat/skim cheese sticks.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Do you mean to eat dinner out or eat dinner at work if you have to?
  • BigBoneSista
    Those are good snacks, I agree... I actually meant dinner though, on nights when I'm not home to cook. Those snacks are great, but they aren't going to fill me up in place of a full meal. Thanks though, you did give me some ideas for while I'm at work!

Pre-cook meals for those days. Or invest in a crock pot.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    The toughest is when you have to eat out. I get this a lot, as we are between practices, games, rehearsals, etc. with my kids. Sometimes you just have to be a little hungrier than if you ate at home. It helps to check calories before you go to the restaurant. Most important is just make sure you know how many calories, etc are in what you are going to eat. Last week I did not check before eating, and I ended up with a small meal that added up to over 600 calories, left me hungry, and pretty much wiped out everything but leaves and twigs for the rest of the day. If I had checked and planned ahead I would not have done this.

Remember, information is power.

Good luck.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Most fast food places and restaurants offer healthy choices. I'm assuming out and about means you can't go home at all during certain days. I don't eat to get full. I eat within my caloric limits. Generally speaking if you feel full from eating you've most times over eaten. I like the phrase eat to live not live to eat.
  • BigBoneSista
    Most fast food places and restaurants offer healthy choices.

Well I beg to differ. Offering me a low calorie meal by their standards that has a block of salt in it is just a wolf in sheeps's clothing. You even have to watch the weight watchers meals at some of these sit down restaurants.
  • HealthiHannah

Both, in this case I am coming from work, no time to stop at home, and then off to babysitting. They usually offer to buy a pizza or something quick - and I would normally take them up on that offer. LOL, but not this time!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Definitely pack something. I have some great recipes I will forward you this weekend. Very filling homemade clean meals for around 400 calories per serving :)
  • Lost_it
    Lost_it Posts: 290 Member
    If you are going out to eat order fish or chicken with a green salad or soup & sandwich(real chicken,turkey, roast beef or egg)(try to get it on whole wheat or multi grain & stay away from proccessed meat)
    If you need to make a meal at home to take with you try a chicken wrap...cooked chicken breast, peppers, mushrooms, ranch dressing,whole wheat wrap. You can add what ever veggies& dressing you like. It is good hot or cold. I like mine with romaine lettuce & make it into a ceasar chicken wrap. If you like you can use pita bread as it is easier to stuff everything into the pita. Just try to find whole wheat or low calorie pitas & wraps
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    If I know I'm going to be busy that day and I normally am, I make sure to fuel my body enough so when I can't eat anything healthy, by body is full enough to get me through. I also pack food with me everywhere I go. I pack fruit and protein shakes at all times just in case i get hungry.
  • HealthiHannah
    I'm lookin forward to it! =0) I appreciate everyone's suggestions! Keep them coming if you can, unfortunately, its too late to pack something for today...
  • Akaratel
    Akaratel Posts: 137 Member

Both, in this case I am coming from work, no time to stop at home, and then off to babysitting. They usually offer to buy a pizza or something quick - and I would normally take them up on that offer. LOL, but not this time!

I alwasy make double meals and have some left overs from that healthy meal to eat when i need to. Grill up some chicken and make a quick chicken salad also for a meal. whole grain bread is filling - make a turkey sandwich, soups can be filling and easy.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    I don't see enough people, on this thread or others, mentioning leftovers. Every single time I make dinner, I make two or three times the amount I will eat that night. On work days when I don't get home until 8pm, I just pack up my leftovers and have a healthy, home-cooked meal ready to go. As long as you have access to a microwave at some point, you are good!

Also, I have found that almost everything reheats pretty well. Soups, casseroles, and pasta dishes are of course best but we eat a lot of fish-and-veggie dinners and these do well, too.
  • HealthiHannah
    Thats a great idea! I always think its hard cooking for 2 anyway, I grew up in a big family :)
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    I don't see enough people, on this thread or others, mentioning leftovers. Every single time I make dinner, I make two or three times the amount I will eat that night. On work days when I don't get home until 8pm, I just pack up my leftovers and have a healthy, home-cooked meal ready to go. As long as you have access to a microwave at some point, you are good!

Also, I have found that almost everything reheats pretty well. Soups, casseroles, and pasta dishes are of course best but we eat a lot of fish-and-veggie dinners and these do well, too.

Good call. I completely forgot about that. I always cook extra too. This way I have something to bring for lunch and or an extra dinner.