Weekend eater

Options
I tend to eat well during the weekdays, when I have to stick to a schedule more, pack my lunches for work, go to bed earlier, etc. Being at work throughout the day limits my eating and snacking to what I bring myself, which is all healthy and in moderation.

When the weekend hits, I have problems sticking to the good habits. I have access to all the food at my house, I have more opportunities to eat whatever I want, and have trouble getting out of the weekend = no schedules / free to do what I want mindset.

Anyone have some suggestions for how to keep that healthy mindset going through the weekend?

Replies

• fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I think that the weekends should be allowed for a little more spontanuity and wiggle room. You can certainly enjoy eating on the weekends, just make sure that you're not just grabbing food becuase you feel bored. Maybe take some extra time to prepare special meals for yourself, even if they're a little more indulgent. Then just work-out extra hard on Sunday if needed :wink:
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I changed my weigh-in day to Monday. Works wonders.
  • Twylyght
    Twylyght Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The best way to stay healthy through the weekends is to stock your house with healthy but delicious foods. That way, even if you do go overboard its not a total catastrophe on your calorie count.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I am the same way! I eat very good during the week, but when the weekend comes we are gone all weekend with my son playing travel baseball and we eat out alot or on the go! It makes it really hard to make good choices. I just do my best and forget the rest! It is actually nice to not be on a schedule on the weekends, it seems to work great for maintenance but not so great for losing!

Good Luck!
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I "Kitchen Cruise" on the weekends if I'm not occupied with something else. I think the best thing for me is to MAKE a schedule. Write it down. If structure is what helps you make good choices, find some structure for the weekends! Also, occupy yourself. Go on a hike. Chew some gum. I just usually try to get out the house as much as possible so that I'm not snacking all day. Hope that helps!
  • kmalex
    kmalex Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My mom and I have the same problem. I finally got into the habit of weighing myself on Saturday mornings. For me it's an easy way to remind myself of my goals and it helps me stay focused. My mom works with a trainer so she set her training sessions for Sundays. It helps her to have a mini "set" schedule with someone she is responsible to. Plus, if she is over her calories she knows she is still getting a good workout in. Maybe try setting a workout time with a friend for the weekend? Might help.

Good luck!
  • amarrvelous
    Options
    Hi,

I have the same issue. Recently, I have increased my physical activity on the weekends. I go for longer hikes, jogs or even take in two dance classes. By upping my exercise I have a little wiggle room to feel free during the weekend. Figure out some physical activity you like to do and make it a regular part of your weekend. That way, you get the feel of a "planned/scheduled weekday" with the fun of the weekend.

I've also started picking and choosing my "treats." If I know I have dinner plans, I will eat a lighter breakfast and lunch. The funny thing is because I'm thinking about the food I eat at those first two meals I end up making better choices at dinner.

Last thing, try and get out of your house on the weekend. You inevitably are going to snack if you are at home all day.

Hope this helps!! If you figure out any helpful tricks please post!!!
  • amarrvelous
    Options
    That is a great idea!!!!I'm changing my weigh-in day. I KNOW that will keep me inline.
  • sweetCJ
    sweetCJ Posts: 144
    Options
    What I found that help, was to not have the bad food in my house to begin with. I LOVE food and I eat when I'm bored, so the weekends are killers for me too. So if I only have fruits and veggies in my house to snack on, then that's all I can eat. If my daughter anbd husband want something else, the rule is, they have to go and get it from the store and eat it there too. Most of the time, they are not going to go out and they'll eat healthy too.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas...I like weighing in more on the weekends. With nicer weather it will be a little easier to get out and be more active. As much as I hate scheduling on the weekends, I think that's probably what I'll need to do.

Putting this to the test tomorrow!

And keep the suggestions coming!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem...some of it's boredom induced eating and some of it is lack of schedule. Some things that help me:

First, make sure there are only healthy snacks available. If you're living with other people who aren't working on losing weight (kids, spouse), ask them to hide their snacks or don't allow yourself to get into them. It's not alway easy but I just keep in mind that if I get into "his" cookies, I know I'll hear about it.

Try to schedule your day. Write down that you're going to go for a long walk or to the gym for an hour and plan your meals out like you would for a work day.

If it's boredom, stop yourself from picking through the cupboards and go for a walk or clean something or read a good book or knit/crochet/scrapbook...whatever works for you.

Play games with yourself - I can have a snack until I finish shredding these old files or dust the bedroom or do three loads of laundry

Exercise as much as you can to give yourself a buffer just in case these little tricks don't work. If you burn some calories it won't be such a big deal if you do have that extra snack - just make sure they're equal - ie don't just burn 200 calories then have a 600 calorie snack.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    My weekends are for me to indulge just a little. I have a list of "Snacks" on my fridge so if I am craving something, I look at my list and pick something from it and I can still feel good even if I indulged a little on a meal. My list has things like graham cracker with PB, mini rice cakes with hummus, almonds, bananas, string cheese, crackers and sliced sheese, etc. And I try not to keep any bad foods in the house to tempt me.
  • SonG7140
    SonG7140 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues. I try to keep the same foods at home that i do at work. I also pack snacks (fruit, nuts, and such) when I'm out running errands so I don't have to stop anywhere to get a bite.
  • SonG7140
    SonG7140 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like your ideas. I will try some of them when I am thinking of eating out of boredum.