Protein Shakes!

Ashbee1224
Ashbee1224 Posts: 65
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
I just recently bought Jillian Michaels Protein shake powder and would love some input on what you guys like to mix in your shakes! I just cant get it tasting very flavorful without adding TONS of calories...

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Bananas.

Blueberries.

Oats.

milk.

I usually do oats and PB but that adds a ton of calories.
  • davesfx
    davesfx Posts: 2
    I drink 2 to 3 protein shakes a day, complete as meal replacements. I like ISOPURE low carb dutch chocolate. As for taste, they are what they are. What I do is add 2 packets of sweet&low. Shake with Blender bottle and down the hatch. I dont think, I dont stop, I dont savor. After its done, I immediately rinse, wash and wait to repeat for lunch. :)

Find a protein shake you can hack, find a small sweetner and stay away from the cals.

I dont know if we can source drop so please excuse me if we cant. vitacost is where I get isopure, which is normally VERY expensive. It has 220 cals, 2 net carbs and 50g of protein. Its all chelated/isolated and gives you all your vitamins as well.

Happy Hunting and hope you find something you like soon!

Dave
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    A banana always does it for me...plus, since I mix mine with water, it adds "thickness" making the texture more creamy and milkshake-like. Frozen strawberries are a good choice too.
  • meh, I always take my shake, shower, then eat dinner. It isn't amazing tasting but i've eaten worse things. cough*broccoli*cough. Just think about what it'll do and chug it. It'll be gone before you know it.
  • I always add one packet of Quaker Instant Oatmeal, weight control, brown sugar and cinamon flavor to my shakes. Cals in that are relatively low, low sugar, high fiber...is a good addition for me and gives more texture and flavor. Good luck!
  • vanilla protein shake + 2 tbsp crushed pineapple (in juice) + dash of coconut extract = pina colada
    vanilla protein shake + 2 oz frozen limeade mix + dash of vanilla = key lime pie

otherwise try half cup of frozen berries (strawberry or mixed raspberry, blueberry, blackberry) + half banana,
    Helps get in some fruits and antioxidants!
  • tinovr
    tinovr Posts: 38 Member
    I use it as a supplement, not as meal replacement... within an hour after my workout.

1 scoop Body Fortress chocolate whey protein mix with 16 oz skim milk... about 320 calories, 26 g protein.

and a big can of it is only $15 at Wal-Mart...
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Slightly off topic- so please forgive me.
    What brands of shakes do you guys like? I've tried a few and disliked them all. What's the "tasties" or the best?
    ~maddymama
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    I use Jay Robb's protein powder because a) it comes from animals that haven't been jacked up on hormones and b) it's sweetened with Stevia.

To answer your question, I will sometimes throw in some shredded unsweetened coconut to add some healthy fat or if I'm using vanilla protein powder I will throw some ice, protein powder, coconut milk and WHOLE coffee beans (sometimes ground coffee) in the Magic Bullet and grind. Quite tasty and has a "kick."
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    I drink Myoplex 42 gram Double Fudge... I think it tastes like chocolate milk... I also drink Re-Build Mass from GNC... but it tastes like gasoline lol.

I also drink whey in scoop form with just enough water to dissolve... I like as little solid food in my system as possible... It keeps me limber.
  • nelliemagine
    nelliemagine Posts: 27 Member
    My favorite protein powder is the Myoplex Lite Vanilla Cream. Tastes good without any extras added too, which is a bonus!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    40 Calorie Almond milk
    Plain Old Fashioned Oats - Nice carbohydrate
    Half Banana - Fast acting carbohydrate
    1/4 Cup 100% Egg Whites - Additional protein that metabolizes at a different rate than Whey / ultra low calories
    Protein Powder - 20-40g, seldom will I put more in.
    If vanilla I like to mix in some cinnamon or pumpkin spice.
  • pdcarrell
    pdcarrell Posts: 101
    I like the JM Vanilla not so much the chocolate I like to add a banana milk 1tsp sugar & Ice I've added frozen blueberries That's good too... I tried adding yogurt I didn't like that to much? It's trial and error I never thought about oats? or that key lime or Pina colada I just migh have to try that and doing water instead to reduce the amount of calories! Thanks for posting this topic I am interested to find out more ways to make Shakes Healthier and Delicious!
  • lemanda
    lemanda Posts: 116 Member
    I add fresh fruit with ice cubes or a low-cal yogurt like Danone Silhoutte or Astro Zero.
  • I use it as a supplement, not as meal replacement... within an hour after my workout.

1 scoop Body Fortress chocolate whey protein mix with 16 oz skim milk... about 320 calories, 26 g protein.

and a big can of it is only $15 at Wal-Mart...

I use this same mix, but I use the chocolate peanut butter. I do use it for a meal replacement and I freeze 1/2 bananas and use 1 scoop mix, 1/2 frozen banana and 8oz non fat milk, comes out to just over 300 calories and it's really good, I look forward to having them in the mornings for breakfast.
  • Sooo dumb question...do you cook the oatmeal before you put it in the blender? lol
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    I too use as meal replacement
    2 frozen bananas + scoop protein + 400ml water = 300 cal meal
    Sometimes more than 2 bananas and sometime some strawberries as well
    V filling
  • evseqvar
    evseqvar Posts: 51 Member
    Does Walmar sell good one? I would like to drink it up!!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    I use vanilla falvored protein powder, fat free milk, 2 TBSP fat free vanilla yogurt, smoothie flavoring and ice. The serving size for the smoothie flavoring is 1/2 cup (230 calories) , but if you only use a couple of TBSP, it drops the calories down to just 58 and adds great flavor. My kids actually have this is the morning for breakfast as well and there are tons of smoothie flavorings out there to choose from. So far our favorite flavor has been a acai berry/pomegranate/blueberry blend.
  • danibee41989
    danibee41989 Posts: 222 Member
    bump
This discussion has been closed.