Cheap, and I mean CHEAP recipes

13»

Replies

• loro1971
    loro1971 Posts: 135
    maybe babysit for someone.. get paid.&eat snacks at their house (with the kids)?????...lol
    get paid to spring clean for someone???? (also helps your exercises)

also.. i know this is funny but during main hours especially weekends.. stores do promos and give tastes.. sometimes aLOT of food and they hand out coupons example.. sams clubs///// and allll delis will let you try before you buy.. so ask for a slice of meat or cheese.... and farmers markets are wayyyyy better prices for fruits and veggies and they want you to try their stuff while you walk around and look.... free lunches while you walk around and exercise!!!! lol....... i would definitely not waste my money on beverages.. pops / juices.... and i agree soups/chilis/sauces are the best bet with many meals for the money!
  • pumina
    pumina Posts: 13
    Do you have a specific recipe? I love it and make it all the time myself but wanted to see if there were other variations out there. :)
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Great ideas on brown rice and beans. You can but all generics. Avoid convenience packs, buy bigger and take time to portion it out for yourself.

Other ideas:

Get a loaf of whole wheat bread (or high fiber bread of your choice) and some natural peanut butter.
    A pound of whole wheat pasta and a jar of sauce.
    A dozen eggs
    some frozen bagged veggies
    canned or jarred fruit, packed in juice
    bananas (i love peanut butter and banana sandwiches)

if you eat fish, canned tuna is a great staple and you can often find it on sale for $1 per can or less.
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    You're going to have to stick with rice and beans, sounds like. Some great recipe ideas on http://www.brokeandhealthy.com

Another idea - do you have a blood plasma center nearby? You can always give plasma and they give you from $15-20 per hourlong visit. And you can go twice a week.

Sorry I found this a bit funny, sell plasma for food money! ha sorry but it is a good idea and a good thing to do for others so I'd seriously consider it no matter how funny i think it sounds upon first glance

You can get $50/visit the first 5 times by me :)
  • jagh09
    This is also a great website for healthier eating ideas!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/cheap_vegetarian_dinner_recipes
  • syates83
    syates83 Posts: 87
    The soup/chilli ideas sound great but if you are buying canned anything, try rinsing everything in water...they are full of sodium. Good luck and hope good fortune finds you soon. Oh and also I buy store brand everything, it really cuts down on your bill oh and coupons are your best friend when buying name brand. Good luck!
  • jagh09
    This topic hit close to home! So I'm looking for ideas from some of my favorite blog spots. I'm not vegetarian, but I sure do remember trying to squeaze every last penny! I hope these are helpful.

http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com/2004/02/master-recipe-list.html
  • liyahxoxo
    liyahxoxo Posts: 78
    i make a pot of veggie chilli- very cheap.. and it lasts for like a week. if you want the recipe ill give it to you :)

can you post it?? thanks!!

yes of course !
    This recipe is a little weird because it's really really spicy. I did it as indicated the first time and it was SOO SPICY for me and I love spicy food... so I cut down on the suggested amount of hot peppers. but here we go:

Ingredients:
    1 can Chilli beans, or just Chick Peas
    1 can Black Beans
    1 black beans can's worth of water
    1 small can Pasta Sauce
    1 can Diced Tomatoes
    1 large Onion, diced
    1/2 package vegan meat crumbles, or tofu, or real meat if you eat meat. I actually put a whole package of (firm) tofu though.
    Chili powder, 2 tbsp
    Ground Cumin, 1 tbsp
    Coriander ground, 1 tsp
    Garlic powder, 1 tsp (but I put 2 tbsp cus i really love garlic)
    1 large sweet green pepper, or red, or combination of both, chopped
    Hot chili green pepper, diced
    Bay Leaves- 2 leaves
    2 Habanero peppers, diced (again, unless you love insanely hot food, put only one. habaneros are soo spicy).

put all ingredients together in a large put and bring to a boil.
    reduce to a simmer, add the spices, stir, and let simmer for about 2 hours.
    remove bay leaves and enjoy!
    tastes better on the second, third, etc. days .. :P
  • nat102
    nat102 Posts: 118 Member
    Bump :)
  • labrennan
    labrennan Posts: 132 Member
    Bulgur which is cracked wheat is also very cheap and very good!!!! I buy that in bags for about $2.00
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    rice, beans, and lentils. change out different spice mixtures for different cuisines.

Cumin, garlic, and paprika can go a long way to spicing things up. Add a pinch of cayenne too if you dare.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    bump
This discussion has been closed.