Killing two birds with one stone?

Options
I have a question... if I do 30 minutes of aerobics while fist pumping with 4 lb. hand weights does that count towards my strength training as well? I mean, do I document that as 30 minutes of aerobics and 30 minutes of strength training?

Also, does anyone else feel deflated the morning after an awesome workout with no results on the scale? I know it won't come off like magic but even a fraction of a pound would put a smile on my face. I guess I need small victories to keep myself going.

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    No, you'd document that as 30 minutes of circuit training.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    absolutely not, don't count exercise twice.

Weight training is weight training, and cardio is cardio.

As for looking for results daily, that's not how the body works, patience and consistency, this takes time. You'll get there, but you have to be patient. If weighing yourself every day is causing you to feel bad, then perhaps you should stop weighing yourself daily.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    the only way to really combine the 2 are circuit training or what is called metabolic resistance training or mrt. MRT is the most effective training method for those pressed for time as the effects last up to 48 hours post workout, this is the program I am currently using to get max results with 3-4 workouts a week. But you can not double count them for cals burnt. True cal burn is best left to a hrm as that is the most accurate guess.
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    so would a bootcamp be considered circuit training then? I've just been logging it all under cardio, I mean, as long as I am working out that's really all that matters.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    it does not really matter so long as you know how many cals you burned.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Answer one no you can't count it twice. the weights though would add to the intensity a little and if you had a HRM it would already calculate those calories in.

answer 2 no I do not feel deflated. You don't want to weigh less after a workout because that only means you lost water weight. If you have a good workout and you replenish those fluids, you may hold on to them, so the morning after you should weigh a little more.

The reason they do that on the biggest loser is to sweat it out and they don't replace the water until after weigh in, so don't let tv weigh ins fool you.

be patient, it works.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    The body is stange in the way it responds to exercise. About a month and a half ago, I bumped up my exercise level, adding in near daily runs and two or three spin classes a week. Was feeling frusterated that the scale wasn't really going down. Maybe a pound here, a pound there.

Weigh-ins are on Friday - last week I was down 4, this week I am down 6. Know I didn't really loose 10 pounds in a week. But think my body finally decided it was ok to let go of whatever it was holiding on to.

This isn't an overnight process. Trust that things will change, and be open to the journey.