Always over in sugars--argh! Counting fruits / dairy?

Options
So I've been over on sugars every single freaking day. Every. Freaking. Day.

I usually do really well on carbs, protein & fiber. I do okay on fat, just occasionally going over. But sugar? Always. Freaking. Over. It's not even the sugar in my coffee that puts me over, it's usually something like Craisins, prunes, banana, yogurt, milk, V8, or OJ (or, I'll admit, an occasional ice cream). I love fruit and dairy, and I find it very filling and satisfying. Dried fruit is a definite convenience food for me (along with limited amounts of juice).

Would it be horrible to ignore the sugar counts for fruit & dairy? I've read in some places that it's really only necessary to track "added" sugars, not fructose or lactose found in fruits and dairy.

Replies

• Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar...doesn't matter what its in. Ignoring it would be a pretty horrible idea.
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't even look at sugar--I know there are too many things I would have to give-up (my daily banana for starters--absolutely not willing to!) to meet the goal. I will sometimes try to keep my "added" sugars under like you suggested, but I have no data to back that up--just how I feel when I do!

Those that keep it under (that I've seen) mostly have green veggies and lean meats in their diaries... I don't know about you, but I need a FEW carbs and definitely some ice cream every now and then!!! :happy:
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I never track my sugar and I would be over every day also as I eat 2 pieces of fruit a day. Unless you are diabetic or all the sugar is coming from junk food I don't think it's a big problem.
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I don't even track my sugar? Should I start to?! I can guarantee I would be over my limit with the amount of fruits I eat. lol
  • scubacat
    scubacat Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I would love to know the answer to this also. I go over sugars everyday. This morning I had a small bowl of plain Cheerios with no sugar added but 1 serving of skim milk has 14g of sugars and MFP allows me 24 per day. The sugar is coming from healthier sources like milk, greek yogurt, or fruit. I usually go over in protein but never fat.. MFP allows me 40 for fats and I'm lucky to make it to 20. That being said, I'm struggling to lose weight despite eating 1200 calories and P90X daily. I understand your frustration and would appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar...doesn't matter what its in. Ignoring it would be a pretty horrible idea.

Hmmm... I was going off of the information that the body processes glucose, fructose, & lactoe differently than sucrose ("table sugar" = high blood sugar spike). I'm looking for some good resources, so please feel free to pass them on if you have them!
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Sure, the body does process them differently but sucrose, no matter where you get it, is the worst kind of carb to ingest. So if you see you're getting a lot via fruit, you shouldn't ignore that. You should just try and limit it in other places. Just to clarify my statement. 8)