13 Miles??? are you CRAZY?? I guess I am..

Options
Have any of you guys ever trained for a marathon or half marathon??? And how many of you literally started from scratch with no athletic bone in your body??

I have registered to train for a Team in Training half marathon. It's my second attempt and my main concern is the fundraising although the training itself does mak me a bit nervous. Has anyone else ever done anything with TNT and what did you think? Also you should know I'm NOT a distance runner..... The most I've ever run consistently is 1 mile.... 13 just seems crazy!! But I've never committed to or accomplished anything I've started so it's important to me to try... Especially now that I seem to have plateaued with my weight loss and seen a great dip in my motivation.

Thoughts???

Replies

• cleigh86
    cleigh86 Posts: 25
    Options
    I did a half marathon last summer, a 10 mile race in the fall, and am currently training for another half marathon...not a ton of experience, but still...

I follow the training plans from Hal Higden (you can google his name and the plans will come up). I like them because in addition to running, they also include strength training and cross training. They do jump in at 3 miles, however, so maybe work up to the training plan before you start it?

The main thing is just to finish! Even if you have to walk, the feeling of success when you cross the finish line is amazing :)
  • JenWorthen3
    JenWorthen3 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    When's the race? If you can, try to get started on some 5ks first. I love the Couch to 5k program (just google it and you can find it). It's amazing for starting running. I'm currently doing the Couch to 10k program in preparation for a 10k on April 22 (talk about nerves on that one!). After that, I'm going to start prepping for a half in July. I feel like I'm really ready to start training for the half now since I've taken the time to really train for the others.

Good luck and be sure to give yourself the time you need to properly prepare for the race so you don't burn out too fast!
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    ive only done a 5k and am doing a 10k this yr, im doing a lot of walking to get my fitness levels up, also other days combining walking and running, and also doing some cycling, gd luck with ur 13 miles:smile:
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I trained by myself, but mimicing a local running club's training schedule. I looked at TNT but didn't want to get into the whole fundraising aspect of it.

I started walking about two years ago. A mile at first, then up to three. At some point that became too easy and I started walk/running.

Now I can run a half with some training and can easily run 8 miles without any.
  • countdowntotarget
    countdowntotarget Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you're crazy - then count me in too !!! - Ive signed up to do the Liverpool marathon in October - and I only started running in January - up to 4 miles so far - seemed like a good idea at the time !!

The only thing I would suggest is to do your research, but I wouldnt spend all day researching, there are no many plans out there, you will get yourself confused reading all the conflicting information - take it easy - dont push yourself too hard - listen to your body - but most of all HAVE FUN!!

Good Luck and keep us all posted on your sucess x x
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I did the Honolulu Marathon in 09 for Team Diabetes which is similar.

Its a great goal! I wasn't an athlete at the time and hadn't been since the late 80's early 90's so really I started from scratch.

You have a goal... now learn to run. How long have you got till your half?

If you have time do a Couch to 5K program followed by a Half Marathon training program. Should take about 6 months, but would be well worth it if for no other reason than keeping you ontrack with your goals.

CLeigh86 mentioned a couple of plans which could also help you prepare.

As a beginning runner, Finishing is your primary goal. The feeling is amazing and you'd be amazed at how much confidence it brings you.

If you want advice or coaching, please feel free to add me as a friend and fire me any questions you may have.

In the last two years I have finished 5 half marathons, several more 10K races, umpteen 5K's and a full marathon to boot.

I 'll try to help you if I can!
  • NBFIT
    NBFIT Posts: 79
    Options
    I signed up for a 1/2 marathon w/TNT, but didn't raise enough money. I still entered the race on my own. They had meetings you could attend that give good tips, things I was not aware of. Try to make those meetings. One thing I learned w/training for distance races is that it is not a diet plan. You have to make sure you're eating enough & the right foods in order to have the stamina for the duration. Stop at every drink station.

I only got up to 7-9miles during my training, & I still finished. I started out walking, but found that I had to jog some to release pressure off my feet & knees. Afterwards, I felt like if you exercise regularly & in shape, most people can do it. I was so proud of what I accomplished! It's worth it. The full marathon is a different story. That takes some hard core training.
  • heathershockley
    Options
    I used to run Cross Country 5K's comeptively... then... well. we all know the old story.
    A gradual build up is the best. I have looked into the Couch to 5K and it is a smooth program. Once you can run a steady one mile, my team and I would do this program:
    Week 1: Getting used to a 1-1.5 mile run/jog. By the end of the week try to jog the entire mile without stopping.
    Week 2:
    Mon: 1.5 miles
    Tuesday: Speed Day: interval sprints. Ex: on a track- sprint straight away, jog turns, sprint straight away, jog turns. We would do this for the total of a mile
    Wednesday: 1.5 mile run (faster than a jog- like a race)
    Thursday: Speed day
    Friday: fun day- jog

Then each week would tack on another .5 mile to our distance until we could jog three miles without stopping. Speed days would never exceed 2 miles. Thats when picking up our speed and endurance would kick in.
    Our weeks would then look like this:
    Mon: Distanc/ Endurance- 6 mile light jog- can still roughly carry on a conversation
    Tues: Speed day- interval sprints with longer straightaways
    Wed: Race day- we would run a 5K track and time ourselves using our teammates as opponents
    Thursday: Speed day
    Friday: Fun run (3 mile jog) or distance
    The only problem with this routine is that their is no variation/rest days where you do a workout that doesn't relate to running. If you don't "rest" you run the risk of getting shin splints or hurting yourself. That being said, I would combine this type of routine with the couch to 5k because that allows for variation workouts. My team and I only could practice on Mon-Fri which is why the routine looks like this... we tended to use the weekend for "rest" and alternate workouts.
    I hope this helps.
  • Kritter8682
    Options
    Thanks so much for the support and input everyone! I believe I start the training schedule in about a week and a half or two weeks. The kick off meeting is coming up and the actual Half Marathon isn't until November 5 in Savannah GA. I think the fundraising is going to be a huge mountain to climb but the training makes me nervous too. but it's just a little over 6 months away so i think if i can just stay motivated it will definitely be worth it! I would love it if any of you guys would like to support me, feel free to add me as a friend! I'll start posting progress once I start training.
  • ivy2009
    ivy2009 Posts: 75
    Options
    You CAN do this. I am a runner now. As a teenager and young adult, swam and did triathlons. Then having children got in the way, so from age 26 to age 46 I pretty much did nothing. That's a 20 year hiatus mind you. I am now 51 and about 5 years ago, I started exercising again. Guess what my first goal was -- a MARATHON, after 20 years of sitting around, I did it and you can too.

Here is a great way to get started, which I believe is a lot less intimidating. It;s called the run/walk tecnique. Here is great website to check out for training: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html Jeff Galloway is the guru of Run:Walk. It is a great way to start. Examples: Run 4 minutes then walk 1 minute. Repeat over and over. Or run 1/2 miile, walk 1/4 mile, etc. Lots of patterns you can pick. Lots of runners do run/walk in marathons, half marthons and other races. Just walk on the far right when you slow to a walk so you are not in runners way.

If you want to move to all running after a while, you can. Even if you do all run from the beginning, it is a matter of slow pace and slow build up. Do NOT increase your mileage more than 10% per week. So if you ran 10 miles last week, don't run more than 11 to 12 the next week. This will prevent injuries. Cross train too to prevent injuries. Don't run every day to prevent injuires.

Here is the great news. Running is the single best and most time efficient way to lose fat. But watch your calories. Don't just shovel the food in because you ran 7 miles. Its all about calories in, even if you are running.

Just start running today or this weekend. Once you have run once, you can call yourself a runner. Go runner go. You can do this. Start slow. Build slow. Stay on track. Good luck. Jennifer
  • adhillman01
    adhillman01 Posts: 206
    Options
    I'm doing that half marathon too! The only race I've run is a 10k. I run about 25 miles per week right now, and I'm slowly adding to that. I am also probably going to do a half in Macon, GA in July, but I haven't decided yet. It's just so hot! Anyways, most of the half marathon training programs require that you can start off running at least 3 miles, but if you're joining a club maybe they can tailor a schedule for you that would get you ready for the race. Good luck!
  • Kritter8682
    Options
    Just start running today or this weekend. Once you have run once, you can call yourself a runner. Go runner go. You can do this. Start slow. Build slow. Stay on track. Good luck. Jennifer

thank you so much for this!! i love hearing this! I love knowing that if i go out today and run/walk a mile I can call myself a runner! I'm truly motivated to train for this regardless of nerves... I definitely have the mindset now to know that it's all about FINISHING and not just running the whole thing. And i know it won't happen overnight so hearing all the supportive comments and stories of everyone's own experiences... i know it will just make it all the easier for me to keep going!!!
    I'm so excited to attempt this!
  • Kritter8682
    Options
    I'm doing that half marathon too! The only race I've run is a 10k. I run about 25 miles per week right now, and I'm slowly adding to that. I am also probably going to do a half in Macon, GA in July, but I haven't decided yet. It's just so hot! Anyways, most of the half marathon training programs require that you can start off running at least 3 miles, but if you're joining a club maybe they can tailor a schedule for you that would get you ready for the race. Good luck!

i'm guessing you are in GA? I'm in Louisville but since I'm training with a charity group, I have to fundraise to make it down and have my room accomodations paid for. But at this point, if the fundraising doesn't go well I am tempted to just continue training and drive down and run it anyway!!! I'm excited to attempt this and i'm trying to keep positive thoughts! :)