Sushi

Options
2»

Replies

• MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the soy sauce, lots of sodium in there. I usually get the California rolls, but I have to limit myself. I ♥ sushi!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    i know that when i was doing weight watchers, it told me salmon was the worst, bc its the fattiest. anything that isnt fried or heavy in sauce would be my best bet.
    so try going for some dragon rolls or spicy tuna or really any of the fresh fish/vegetable rolls :)

The fat in salmon are GOOD fat, EAT it!!!

Rolls are packed with rice and big calories in those. Usually easily over 200 for 4 rolls.

Sashimi, any sashimi, is your friend. Grilled fish, any fish, is awesome!

Yes, watch out soy sauce, most the sauce, go easy on those.

Ask for salad dress on the side (a rule you should use for all places), so you can control how much dressing you put in.

I was going to say the same thing about the salmon. There is such thing as GOOD fat and salmon definitely has it...as well as avocado. Of course, everything should be in moderation though.
    The one thing I see though is a lot of people recommending miso soup. I LOVE miso soup, but it has a lot of sodium....close to 1/2 of your daily allowance in just 1 cup. Yes, it is low calorie, but that sodium is killer! A lot of rices have upwards of 200 calories in 1 cooked cup, sometimes more. So watch your intake of that as well. Maybe you can ask them to make it with less rice?
    Some salmon rolls have cream cheese in them too so watch out for that along with the sauces like everyone else mentioned.
    I haven't had sushi in a long time and now I want some!! :) I hope your dinner is great! Remember to drink plenty of water and it'll help fill you up, especially with all that rice! :)
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Salmon nigiri is delicious, filling and low in calories :) Miso Soup, as well as containing sodium as already mentioned, contains a lot of sugars too, and whilst low calorie, should probably be avoided.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I have found http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm to be very helpful when trying to estimate calories in sushi. Just click on the name of the type (roll, sushi, sashimi), and many common options will be listed. I like that it shows protein, fat, and carbs as well as the calories.

As everyone has said, it's hard to go wrong with sashimi and a few pieces of nigri will fit in most calorie budgets.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Some places have brown rice as an option. I had some last night with salmon. Yummmm!