Heart rate monitor / calorie counter?

Options
I searched through other posts about heart rate monitors but I was wondering if anyone could recommend one. I'm looking for something $60 or less. I searched Amazon.com today and found a lot for less than $30. But this is something you get what you pay for? Do I NEED to spend over $100 for a great product.

Thanks!

Replies

• FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to spend $100 on an HRM. I purchased a MIO Classic Select Petite at a local sporting goods store for $30 and I love it. But I did look online first and read reviews before going to the store and purchasing it. It does everything I need/want it to do and more.

The only complaint I have about it is that the instructions weren't very clear on how to use certain functions. But youtube is great for those kind of things and I figured everything out pretty quickly after watching a few videos.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Proform-Ultimate-Heart-Rate-Monitor/15188953

This is the one I'm looking at getting... do you want it to keep track of your daily calories (which they call calorie counting) or do you want it to just give you the actual amount of calories you are burning working out?

For me, I don't need anything to keep track of calories throughout the day since I have MFP, but I do want it to count the amount of calories burned for me... I've found a lot say "calorie counting" and they don't necessarily count the amount of burned calories.
  • EmicaL
    EmicaL Posts: 31
    Options
    I purchased a MIO Classic Select Petite at a local sporting goods store for $30 and I love it.

I read a lot of negative reviews about that one. Mostly users issues. Does it let you know your calorie burn?
  • jene77
    jene77 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Target for about $50 it's a New Balance brand. No problems with it so far. Im glad to know how many calories I'm really burning!
  • EmicaL
    Options

This is the one I'm looking at getting... do you want it to keep track of your daily calories (which they call calorie counting) or do you want it to just give you the actual amount of calories you are burning working out?

Calories burned. I've been doing Wii EA Active 2 but I've noticed even if I stand still it tells me I'm burning and I can jump or sprint faster than the character allows. So I really don't believe the calorie burn is correct for me.
  • EmicaL
    Options
    I got mine at Target for about $50 it's a New Balance brand.

Is yours one of the ones with just the watch or does it have the chest strap?
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    You can get some pretty basic one cheap just make sure they have a chest strap.

Have a look at the polar website for good HRM's some of the older run out models are heavily discounted from time to time.
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    I have a polar one that I spent $80 on and loved it (now that it's going to cost $54 to replace all the batteries I don't love it so much anymore) and while that one was missing for a year I had a sportsline one that I got for $60 something. But, that watch got lost...so I'm SOL when it comes to HRM's because I don't want to spend anymore money on any just to lose them again lol.
  • mwcechman
    Options
    Hi there! I have a Polar HRM and it is awesome! I can even wear it when I am swimming. It was also very reasonably priced; well below the $60 you are budgeting for. It keeps track of your heart rate, calories, targeted heart rate, etc. It also has a file log of your daily/weekly excercises. I highly recommend Polar.
    Good luck!
  • kaveril422
    kaveril422 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

For me, I don't need anything to keep track of calories throughout the day since I have MFP, but I do want it to count the amount of calories burned for me... I've found a lot say "calorie counting" and they don't necessarily count the amount of burned calories.

I have been looking and looking and thanks cause this one looks like it may work for me.
  • sbear867
    sbear867 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i bought the New Balance Susan G Komen HRM last week and I'm in love. Its really easy to use and comfortable. All I needed was the basics and it is perfect for that. I paid just over 50 for it.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    You definitely do NOT need to spend over $100 to get a quality HRM that counts calories.

My only suggestion is to find one that takes your age, height, sex, and weight information. This helps give you a more accurate heart rate reading. Also, get an HRM with a chest strap as it takes your hear rate consistently.

Mine is a Bowflex Hybrid and it is much better and was cheaper than my old Polaris FT4.

Hope this helps
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance Fit and I got it from Target and it was $59.99. I love it!!
  • kaveril422
    kaveril422 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

I went on and got this one today and I love it. It took some reading to get it going, but I am so glad I got it.