Turning down office potluck invite?

Options
I have a small dilemma: I got invited to my team's potluck lunch that's next week. Three reasons I really don't want to go:

1. My dentist appt is at the same time, but will get over before the potluck will- So I could still make it to the potluck for like 1/2 hr? But read # 2 and #3 below-
2. Uhh...food? I wanna stay away from chips, salsa, desserts etc. I really don't want to be in a room filled with food :(
3. My team is not fun- Yeah, I am serious. It's like a punishment to eat with them.

I have accepted the invite as tentative. Is it OK to decline the invite? Or should I let it remain tentative and just not go? The other thing is, should I just cook something for them & excuse myself? Not sure if I'm thinking too much...

Oh, and the meeting room where the potluck is being held is right next to my desk... :ohwell:

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to go, don't go. You don't have to justify it to anyone. If you need an excuse, say your mouth is frozen from the dentist and you can't taste anything.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Don't go! Life is too short to spend socializing w/ people whose company you don't enjoy. Part of taking care of ourselves and getting healthy, is putting ourselves first.
  • bigc150
    bigc150 Posts: 13
    Options
    be strong, you don't have to go!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I think you should go. Think of the potluck as "work" if you must, but I think it goes a long way to maintaining good working relationships with your co-workers. True, they may not be people you enjoy being with, but if you don't attend, you may come across as unfriendly or standoffish. The food is a challenge, and certainly you'll want to watch your plate. Have just a little something. Better yet, bring a veggie plate or salad yourself & munch on that.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :flowerforyou:
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'd have my dentist appt extend a ltitle bit longer then anticipated. ;)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you feel you have to go take a healthy option that you can eat, it can be your contribution and just have that to avoid the often unhealthy options at these things (due to last minute grabs on the way in at the convenience store...)
  • ruhimaach
    ruhimaach Posts: 171
    Options
    I totally forgot about the fact that I will probably not be able to eat because of all the teeth work...lol. So even if I go, I'll probably just have to sit tight. So, do I need to make/buy a dish?

I am scared of putting anything on my plate that's not been measured! :( I am not good at estimating the calories, since I started this weight loss thing only 2-3 weeks back.

It's a HUGE team of some 35+ people. What I dislike about this place is that the entire atmosphere is very impersonal and awkward.
  • ruhimaach
    Options
    Love all the ideas! :smile: Thank you for all your comments! Okay, I guess I am not gonna go. They can't make me feel guilty for not coming to something I really don't want to attend. I attend tons of useless meetings at this place just to inflate egos.

And yes! I am going to extend my dentist appt ;) Love that!!
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    A few of the people in our department decided to boycott the potlucks. lol We were having like 1-2 a month. Expensive stuff, on top of the fact that no one ever brought anything healthy! I like the idea of "extending" your dental appt. lol
  • ruhimaach
    Options
    A few of the people in our department decided to boycott the potlucks. lol We were having like 1-2 a month. Expensive stuff, on top of the fact that no one ever brought anything healthy! I like the idea of "extending" your dental appt. lol

Oh that used to happen at my previous workplace so much! I used to love my ex-coworkers and never really minded those lunches. But I did put on tons of pounds because of everything we ate all the time!! Every week, it was someone's bday, anniversary, happy hour etc. LOL. And they would get mad if you refused to come...they were all such dolls!
  • michelegbowman
    Options
    Not go?

Are you kidding me?

Do you want a promotion and more money?

Managers routinely count these types of outings as part of their own appraisal. They are often literally appraised on those types of events and are often required to host or facilitate them.

WHen you don't go, you are marked as "not a team player...."

What to do ....absolutely go. Put stuff on your plate and just push it around and bring something healthy like celery to actually eat.

Compliment every item you can. Say something nice.

This is not about enjoying it -- it's about your career.

Schmooze. Don;t talk about work. Just talk to the boss and anyone else who has a stake in your career (everyone).

Same goes for holiday parties, company picnics and the rest.

If you don't like your colleagues -- good. Practice faking it.

This is your opportunity to move up the ladder.
  • ruhimaach
    Options
    Not go?

Are you kidding me?

Do you want a promotion and more money?

Managers routinely count these types of outings as part of their own appraisal. They are often literally appraised on those types of events and are often required to host or facilitate them.

WHen you don't go, you are marked as "not a team player...."

What to do ....absolutely go. Put stuff on your plate and just push it around and bring something healthy like celery to actually eat.

Compliment every item you can. Say something nice.

This is not about enjoying it -- it's about your career.

Schmooze. Don;t talk about work. Just talk to the boss and anyone else who has a stake in your career (everyone).

Same goes for holiday parties, company picnics and the rest.

If you don't like your colleagues -- good. Practice faking it.

This is your opportunity to move up the ladder.

Thanks for the comment :) Fortunately for me, I am working as an IT Consultant here and don't need to worry about any of this. Else, I am sure I would have never even dreamed of missing it! They are not looking at converting my position into a full time one (economic downturn blah blah)- so I think I have nothing to gain by *kitten* licking here.