"light activity"? Help from the vets much needed!

ElizabethRPh
ElizabethRPh Posts: 19 Member
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
Today I wore a pedometer to work. As crazy as it seems I walked over 6 miles just doing my job. I am a pharmacist and am on my feet for a solid 12+ hrs. I don't have a lot of weight to lose. I started out last year after foot surgery with 4 lbs to drop and gained 6 instead. With every pound I gained I tried harder and ate less. Finally, last month, I found all of you. Now I'm thinking... perhaps, (considering I was where I wanted to be before the surgery but didn't diet, just exercised regularly and worked full time) I have been my own worst enemy?
Question is: do stay with the "light activity" handle and if so, how many miles should I add as exercise? This means that at work, I exercise more than most days I have off that I run/strength train...really?
I'm 50 yrs old and I know I'm walking uphill but I am determined. Any input is encouraged at this point.

Replies

• ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Hi...and welcome to MFP! I am told by my trainer that the body adjusts to routine. Therefore, you have to continually mix it up. She recommends alternating strengh training and aerobic activity. She also recommends changing the strength training routine to work different muscles about once per month as the body gets accustomed to the routine and doesn't burn as many calories. Also, LOTS of water! Good luck! BTW...I think as we get older (yeah...I know...the ugly word) metabolism changes and it seems to get harder. Interesting...my son and daughter-in-law are both pharmacists in New Jersey. He is an Infectious Diseases Pharmacist who is a college professor and on staff at a local hospital and she is with CVS. Great profession but LONG hours!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    I think pedometers fudge a little on the high side because of when your standing you shift your weight which jars the little boomers upping your step count. Anyway, I'm on my feet a lot at work and have found that a nice brisk walk taking long strides really helps my po' feet after work. If I were in your shoes (ha! I made a pun!) I would add a bit more walking.
This discussion has been closed.