Hyperthyroidism....

Options
((I posted this in the General Help forum as well, just thought I'd get ideas/thoughts/comments from all angles....))

So I've just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. One of the top symptoms is weight loss. What are the chances of developing this at the same time I actually start trying to lose weight?! I really thought it was ME doing well. =(

I'm terrified that once they cure the hyperthyroidism....it will also inadvertently "cure" my weight loss and that I'll start gaining!!!

Has anyone dealt with this or have any advice??

Replies

• nanameem
    nanameem Posts: 1
    Options
    I have Graves Disease, and Hyperthyroidism. I have lost 27 lbs in the last three months. By the time I realized it I had lost 14 lbs. without doing anything. I started walking, fast, every day for 1 hour and lost the other 13 lbs. Start an exercise program now so if you condition gets out of hand and you have to go thru treatment to kill your thyroid you will already be exercising and it won't be hard to continue. I am addicted to walking now. I can't wait to get home and put on my Shape Ups and get going. I hae another 30 lbs to go and I can't wait. Don't worry about your thyroid, keep an eye on your symptoms and do your labs every 6 months. Weight loss is a symptom but that may not be why you're losing weight, you may just be doing great after all!
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was actually diagnosed with hyperthyroidism when I was 16 yo, but I was having opposite symptoms as the usual ones. It was pretty puzzling for the dr. I was having weight gain and severe lethargy along with some insomnia. I didn't keep up with the treatments once I started feeling better, I was a dumb kid who didn't know better and my Mom had passed away leaving my Dad in charge of such things and a new step-mom who were both pretty disconnected. My thyroid tests have all been normal since then except for once. I'm sure that doesn't help any, but that was my experience with it.
  • darconnor
    darconnor Posts: 49
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Graves disease (hyperthyroidism) a few years ago. I lost about 20 lbs before I was able to get a handle on it. My fat just loved me too much to leave. I was waiting for the moment when I would look like I was "hyper'; it never happened.

Anyway, it is really good that you are watching your calories. EVERYTHING that will be prescribed for you to fix your problem is going to make you gain weight. So you have to be very diligent.

On another note:Do your research and find an endocronologist that you feel comfortable with. I went through 3 before finding the one I was confident was interested in how I wanted to treat my disease. The doctors wanted to burn out my thyroid with radiocative iodine, or surgically remove it. I was NOT feeling either of those options. I learned how to manage my stress, cut out iodine, exercised (just walking really), got plenty of rest and worked along with Doc #3 with a regemine of high doses of anti-thyroid meds (I regularly had to do bloodwork to make sure my liver was not being compromised). Well after about 6 months I went into remission. I remain in remission till this day...6 years later. I feel wonderful now and my "numbers" are great.

I am now getting around to losing the weight I have had hanging around for many years. I am having a blast...I am sure I will feel even healthier soon.

Best wishes on your journey.
  • kmcoulon
    kmcoulon Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    @darconnor: I can't do the antithyroid meds b/c of other meds I'm on. Too much risk for my liver/kidneys. They're probably going to kill my poor thyroid all together. So depressing. =(
  • darconnor
    darconnor Posts: 49
    Options
    Don't be depressed. Once you get to the other side of your treatment - whatever it is, you will feel so much better. In addition to me not wanting to do the chemical burnout of my thyroid, my eyes became VERY involved (Graves Opthamopothy (sp))..I was walking around looking shocked, surprised and amazed at all times - lol - but it was painful, too, because of the pressure and I had a serious case of double vision. Once they became invovled I wasn't a candidate and only had the surgery option. I wasn't ready for that and I firmly believe you have to be in the right mental place for a surgery to be successful. I feel blessed that I was able to work it out another way. Another tough treatment was for my eyes; I had to do 1about 12 weeks of radiation to reduce the pressure behind my eyes. But again...I am on the other side and much better.

Do your homework...so you will know your real options. Be patient. And stick to the weight loss efforts; you will need to work at that. Don't forget to exercise; especially something that really relaxes you (mine was walking); I did about 3 miles a day probably 5 days a week during that time.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I have graves disease as well. I was diagnosed in 2003. I was 120lbs and gained about 10lbs when I went on the meds BUT I was skinny my whole life (probably due to my thyroid) so exercise and diet were never something I did.
    I was scheduled for the RAI but could not go through with it. I had my daughter is 2004 and went into remission in 2005. I just had my levels checked this week so the verdict is still out if I am back to hyper or not.

Once I started here though I was able to lose 32lbs! My weight gain comes from having children, I can't blame my thyroid although at times I would like to :wink: