1000 cal Diet is it safe

Options
Hello..........
well i was jus curious to know if 1000 cal diet is fine.. am not followin any particular format just that a 1000 cal programm where i restrict myself to 1000cal but eat ahemmmm yeah less but healthy.. feel lighter though.. but dono.. any advice

76841.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• watermelon
    Options
    Hello..........
    well i was jus curious to know if 1000 cal diet is fine.. am not followin any particular format just that a 1000 cal programm where i restrict myself to 1000cal but eat ahemmmm yeah less but healthy.. feel lighter though.. but dono.. any advice

76841.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Hi Watermelon! That pix is soooo cute! Banks says (along with MFP) that you should not eat under 1200 per day. That your body with go into starvation mode, stop losing and start gaining. When you exercise you should eat most or all of your exercise calories. It's hard to do trust me I know. It makes you feel like you won't lose if you eat that many calories, but the MFPers say it works.
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    i found that I dont lose weight if i go under 1380 a day but i am 5ft 7inchs and a heavy build so maybe thats just me
    but i think 1200 is the minimum advised on here
  • watermelon
    Options
    I'm 5'8 1/2 and weigh is almost 70... am medium built i think... and i just can figure out the appropriate way to know the right calorie intake for my body
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    To be clear, I don't have any preset low end. But if you're DEFICIT is more then 1000 calories, then that's probably bad. I.E. the difference between your maintenance calories and what you are actually eating (including exercise calories).

I'll bump the newbie post, you should read that. It talks about all this stuff.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Plug your numbers in and trust the process. At least give it a fair try!! This program is pretty good for most people - works. Anyhow - give it a real go with what MFP tells you and if you exercise, eat most if not all of your exercise calories. If you have been in starvation mode - sounds like a possibility - you may gain weight for a few weeks while your body gets used to having fuel. Then you will start functioning properly and lose weight again - better than before and more permanently. Just remember fast loss=fast regain slow loss=permanent loss.
  • watermelon
    Options
    alrite.... i eat less calories the days i dont work out.. 1000 calories the days am resting no workout jus work .. otherwise with workouts i eat 1200 calories
  • banks1850
    Options
    alrite.... i eat less calories the days i dont work out.. 1000 calories the days am resting no workout jus work .. otherwise with workouts i eat 1200 calories

I'm gonna go ahead and say that's probably too little for you. It's a guess, but an edjucated guess. Considering you are only lookoing to lose 31 lbs that is.

I'm assuming you would like to know if it is healthy for you to do this, am I right?

You said your 5'8" and almost 70, almost 70 what? Kilos?

also, would need your activity level. What ever you put in your goals section should work.
  • banks1850
    Options
    OK so I'm assuming 70 kilos (about 155 lbs)

with that and also assuming a lightly active activity level
    your maintenance calories should be somewhere around 2100.

Now here's the thing. If that is your weight, then you are right in the middle of
    a healthy BMI (23.5). You're not going to get very far with a 1000 calorie deficit
    if these assumptions are correct.

you should read this post, it may help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi?page=5#posts-186875
  • watermelon
    Options
    :smile: Ur so kind... Thanks a ton...
  • Xtracrispy69
    Options
    have to remember the best weight loss takes time....lifestyle adjustment. As humans we always look for the quick fix. Its rather easy to say I'll eat 1000 cals till I hit my weight...crunch time for a few weeks/months. If you change the way you eat and your activity level it'll fall off you!