Chicken Chow Mein

Options
chickadee2010
chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
Hey, everyone! I tried this recipe out for the first time today and it was amazing. I got it from Healthy Cooking. If you're a fan of Asian food (which I think this is. It could be Chinese. Correct me if I'm wrong, please), then I think you'll like this. It only makes 2 servings, but I doubled it so it'd make 4. I'll post it as it says in the recipe, which is 2.

prep/total time: 30 min. Yeild: 2 servings

1 Tbsp cornstarch
2/3 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
2/3 cup thinly sliced celery
1/4 cup sliced onion
1/4 cup thinly sliced green pepper
2 tbsp julienned carrot
1 tsp canola oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
1 cup cooked brown rice
2 tbsp chow mein noodles

In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth, soy sauce, salt, and ginger until smooth; set aside.

In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry the mushrooms, celery, onion, pepper, and carrot in oil for 5 minutes. Add garlic; stir-fry 1-2 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender.

Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken; heat through. Serve with rice; sprinkle with chow mein noodles.

Nutriton Facts:
1 cup chow mein with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice and 1 tbsp chow mein noodles
calories: 307
fat: 7
saturated fat: 1
cholestrol: 54
sodium: 984
carbs: 35
fiber: 4
protein: 27

Replies

• cherylwhite
    cherylwhite Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump ...looks good!
  • TaraLawrence11
    TaraLawrence11 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yum...
    This sounds amazing!!!!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Bump..
    This sounds delish. But it has reduced sodium broth and soy sauce yet it has 985mg sodium in a 300 calorie meal.?
    Lean cuisine/frozen meals look healthy compared to this.

I would suggest leave out the 1/2 tsp of salt for approx 1000mg less in total sodium. or down to 485 mg sodium per serving
    Perhaps dash on some salt at the dinner table. if needed.
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    Bump..
    This sounds delish. But it has reduced sodium broth and soy sauce yet it has 985mg sodium in a 300 calorie meal.?
    Lean cuisine/frozen meals look healthy compared to this.

I would suggest leave out the 1/2 tsp of salt for approx 1000mg less in total sodium. or down to 485 mg sodium per serving
    Perhaps dash on some salt at the dinner table. if needed.

I assumed you looked at my food diary for that. I didn't use exactly what the recipe called for, I used what I had on hand, which wasn't low-sodium things. I also cut out the salt.
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    You're welcome, everyone!

Note: These are the things I didn't use because I didn't have it on hand. If you look in my food diary, the nutrition count is off because I didn't put the exact brand I used, I just randomly put it what MFP had. I didn't have time to track exactly what brand I used, but my diary is an estimation of it. So these are the things I didn't use:

I only used 1 tbsp of cornstarch
    I used regular chicken broth, and it was high in sodium
    I used wochestshire sauce instead of soy (not sure how to spell it lol)
    I did not use salt.
    I used a few baby carrots instead of the julienned one
    I did not use canola oil, I used Pam spray
    I did not use a garlic clove
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    Sounds Delish! Will put the ingrediants in my shopping list this week! Thanks!