cardio vs weight training

Options
I have been doing both cardio and weight training for about 9 weeks now and I'm reading that weight training is so much better and burns more calories for days after your work out that I'm wondering if cardio is that important. sure it's good for your heart but weight training is a work out too.

Replies

• RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    BOTH are very important! I sometimes do both on the same day, or switch it up and do them opposite days. your right, weight training does burn more calories after and cardio will burn more calories at that specific moment. I would stick with doing both!!
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Cardio is more helpful for losing the weight. Weight training builds muscle and boost your metabolism but can be frustrating as it adds weight becuase muscle weighs more than fat.
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Cardio is more helpful for losing the weight. Weight training builds muscle and boost your metabolism but can be frustrating as it adds weight becuase muscle weighs more than fat.

it might add a little bit more weight, but the size is what matters not the number on the scale. Muscle burns more calories at rest, so when you are doing nothing, you are burning more calories. Thats why they are both equally important for weight loss.
  • peytjalmom
    Options
    There's nothing like cardio for a healthy heart and lungs, and nothing like weight training for increasing metabolism. So what's most important to you? To be healthy we need both.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I normally do weights for about 45 minutes (of course not straight, with rest between sets) and then 45-60 minutes cardio. You definitely will tone and lose at the same time if you do both.
  • N_BEAST_MODE_24_7
    N_BEAST_MODE_24_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Both are important! You can lift weights all day long but without the cardio your muscles won't show because they are covered with fat. Cardio trims the body of the fat so that your muscles can show. If you are lifting weights you are taking protein also, think about taking the protein everyday without doing cardio...you will gain weight but will you have the body you want? Cardio and weight lifting goes hand and hand, but to each its own...
  • giggles007
    giggles007 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump