problems with fatigue

Options
I have recently decided to buckle down and start eating better and exercising more to lose weight. But, there is one problem I have regarding the exercising part.

I have a big problem with fatigue due to my disability, and I have noticed that even though I can exercise for 30 minutes, I am exhausted afterwards. I imediately have to go and take a nap. I don't like doing this because it just seems like I am defeating the purpose of exercising. I have even tried eating or drinking something after exercising, but it hasn't helped much. My doctor told me that I am supposed to have energy after exercising, and I'm experiencing the opposite.
Does anyone know of some tricks to reduce fatigue after exercising? Does the fatigue go away after a while once your body gets used to exercising frequently?

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    it might help to have a recovery drink or snack immediately after exercising. Nothing too big, but something with carbs and protein in it. A small fat free yoghurt, or a glass of skimmed milk
  • Kallisti
    Kallisti Posts: 61
    Options
    I had the same problem at first with hour-long workouts, and I was told that I was probably working too hard. I continued working hard anyways, and it went away after 5 weeks (yes, it took 5 whole weeks!).
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i would get checked out by a doctor. this could very well be heart related issues. its not normal to feel that tired after working out. its usually a sign of something else going on in your body. please get checked by a doctor.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    i would get checked out by a doctor. this could very well be heart related issues. its not normal to feel that tired after working out. its usually a sign of something else going on in your body. please get checked by a doctor.

I have to agree, you should feel tired but energized at the same time. Make sure your body has energy (Carbs) to burn before you exercise. If it still feels like you need to sleep after, you need to seek a doctor.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have recently decided to buckle down and start eating better and exercising more to lose weight. But, there is one problem I have regarding the exercising part.

I have a big problem with fatigue due to my disability, and I have noticed that even though I can exercise for 30 minutes, I am exhausted afterwards. I imediately have to go and take a nap. I don't like doing this because it just seems like I am defeating the purpose of exercising. I have even tried eating or drinking something after exercising, but it hasn't helped much. My doctor told me that I am supposed to have energy after exercising, and I'm experiencing the opposite.
    Does anyone know of some tricks to reduce fatigue after exercising? Does the fatigue go away after a while once your body gets used to exercising frequently?

I have a disease which makes exercise very hard, I can't do much repetative motions or my muscles pack it in. I started only being able to do 20 mins on the treadmill (now up to 45 minutes on an incline of 8 and walking at 7kph) and I found lifting weights pretty easy compared to other exercises. I still have to have a nanna nap every day after working out but I am a lot fitter so it doesn't defeat the purpose you are still getting benefit from it. You will just have to find exercises that you can do without it being to taxing on your body.
  • Noz7
    Noz7 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    What is your disability?

You could try small intense bursts of intense exercise across your day. For example, just running the stairs once or twice. Peter Dingle writes about this and I've started doing this sometimes but never record it because it is so very brief. This is meant to give you more of the human growth hormone and should 'wake you up' and increase your metabolic rate somewhat.
  • diegelman
    diegelman Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I also have a condition that causes chronic fatigue and muscle pain. Push through it, don't work too hard and give yourself lots of rest periods. It's OK to nap! I wish I could get more in!
  • treadingpurple
    Options
    What is your disability?

You could try small intense bursts of intense exercise across your day. For example, just running the stairs once or twice. Peter Dingle writes about this and I've started doing this sometimes but never record it because it is so very brief. This is meant to give you more of the human growth hormone and should 'wake you up' and increase your metabolic rate somewhat.

I have a disorder called spastic paraparesis, where my body's upper motor neurons are degenerating progressively. It has damaged muscle and nerves in my lower body. Even though my upper body is not affected by the disorder, I still have to use a walker to get around. Physical therapy has helped a great deal with walking, but I just wish that the fatigue would go away.
    I have talked to my doctor about the fatigue, and she said it was from depression and upped my anti-depressant. I don't think its from depression at all! She also did some blood work and it came out normal for things that can cause fatigue.
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It's great that you checked with your doctor! Too many people don't do that. And don't be afraid to get a second opinion if you feel you need it.

When I first started running I always wanted to take a nap after - and I was relatively healthy and young (at the time!) but out of shape. I'm wondering if you might need to start off with perhaps 10 minutes of exercise, or lower the intensity, and see if you can gradually increase your time and effort. There's nothing wrong with building up.
  • antfefe6
    antfefe6 Posts: 32
    Options
    I had that problem too. My husband told me to listen to my body. I did and now I am over it.
  • Noz7
    Noz7 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Interesting.
    I don't think your doctor could have possibly checked for all the things that can cause fatigue.

eg:
    lack of water
    emotions/stress - different to depression
    sugar lows
    low levels of various minerals or B vitamins (not implying this is your fault, supermarket food just isn't that good or you might have high needs)
    food intolerances.
    jetlag (even if you haven't travelled. Is your body clock working well?)

you could try a nutritionist.

anyway, I do agree with the 'listen to your body', getting out of the house and looking at the sky and trees and interacting with the world is really important too. I'd forget about formal exercise and focus on resting and then playing or doing fun stuff. This should lift your spirits and when you feel like doing some exercise you can.
  • BaronessBlixen
    BaronessBlixen Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water while exercising? I had this problem too, and experienced a HUGE change for the better once I started downing cup after cup in between sets of exercises. Make sure you drink before and after, too.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with fatigue due to fibromyalgia and have found a few things that helped me.

1. Green smoothies. If you read my posts most of them mention these because they really turned things around for me. I'm a big green smoothie pusher! :D It's just a smoothie made with a base of leafy greens (spinach, kale, parsley, romaine, etc) and fruit. The first one I started making was a few handfuls of spinach, 1 whole orange (orange peel removed but not the white pith), a slice of pineapple, a wedge of lime and if you need sweetener a little bit of honey or a pitted date.

2. Slowly increase exercise. I had to build up my endurance and it took awhile. I made sure to rest when I needed it. I did take a lot of naps at first but over time as I built up my endurance they slowly went away. Then I was just battling afternoon fatigue and I think that's finally gone too.

3. I take a "greens" supplement now that I think is what finally kicked the late afternoon slump for me. It's just a blend of fruits/vegetables/sea vegetables that are high in antioxidants and vitamins/minerals that has been dried and ground into a powder. There are lots of versions out there and I'm not selling anything, I just started using one because I'd heard so many good reports and have found it's helping me. You can find them at supplements stores and even Costco is selling one now. Just try to find an organic one without fake sweeteners or artificial stuff.

4. Lots of water

5. No refined/processed stuff if I can help it. I don't do white flour or sugar and most of our food is made from scratch at home. I mill my own flour from whole wheat berries and bake our bread from that so I know I'm getting all the nutrition from a whole grain bread. There are bakeries that do this and sell the wholemeal bread if you don't have the time/ability to do it yourself. We have Great Harvest bakeries in our area that mill the flour they bake with.

Good luck and I hope you figure out what will help you!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    The fatigue will go away once you get use to it (give it a good couple of weeks) It also gets alot better the more weight you lose, its obviously easier to push around 150 lbs than 200 - soon you will find your stamina and energy levels increase dramatically.