Maintenance help??

Options
I joined MFP in January of 2011, Jan. 4th to be exact. In the last 3 months I have lost 22-25lbs (depending on the day I weigh). I'm pretty happy being in the "under 135 but over 130" range. I don't have any aspirations to be a bone-thin model or a muscly trainer. My main motivation for joining MFP was to lose weight per my cardiologist's recommendation and to also start an exercise regimen again, as recommended by my cardiologist. I want to set a good example about healthy eating, exercise, fun & moderation to my children. I am not one to go all organic or to poo-poo certain foods because they are "bad." I have learned to make better choices about what I put in my mouth. Fewer processed foods cross my lips these days. My senses are learning to be pleased by the smells, sounds, textures and tastes of food in their natural forms and also in well-prepared meals. God gave me a beautiful life and I need to take care of my life and part of that is enjoying the good things he has placed in my path--including foods.

So...

I've lost the weight. Now what. I still feel like I have flab to tone around my midsection. Of course, my mother, (I am 35, not a kid) last night told me that I was too skinny. She's always been a little on the over-protective side and I've learned to let that kind of stuff slide over the years. But of course, I don't want to cause her stress either. Maybe I just need to talk with her about the healthy way I'm accomplishing my goals.

But my question is still, Now What? How do I go from losing to staying. I still want to continue with my exercise regimen 6 days a week. I like the boost it gives me. But I want the goal of my exercise to switch from LOSING to STRENGTHENING & MAINTAINING.

And honestly, I'm afraid to start eating more calories. I have not been the person to set my calorie intake extremely low, I did things according to MFP guidelines. But I usually stayed within 100 calories under my goal, which I know some of you would argue with, but honestly it seemed to work for me. I treated myself to things like a slice of pizza or a piece of pie, once in a while, as part of family celebrations and such. I didn't go all extreme.

I truly never, ever thought I could lose the weight. I understand that I didn't have 100's of pounds to lose, but for years, even the 25 I did have to lose sounded insurmountable to me.

I still have goals. I want to run a 5K this fall, so I'm starting the C25K program in about 10 days. I want to go to my cardiologist's office next year and blow that stress/treadmill test out of the water. I want to shock her with my newfound and strong body, heart & mind.

So, are any of you maintaining successfully? How do you do it? Honestly, I don't want to log-in to MFP every day for the rest of my life. This has been a great tool, but I'm not sure I should be recording my food consumption forever. For a while, yes, until I learn, but not forever. Any help anyone has to offer would be wonderful! Thanks!

Replies

• traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Great Job! I don't have the answers as I am just 1/4 of the way through my weightloss. BUT< I am curious what to do once I do reach my goal weight.

THank you for asking the question..... I too would like to see what others say.
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am not there yet but what I intend to do is change to maintenance calories and see how it goes. I think I may not eat the maintenance calories every day but it gives me leeway for going out and have the odd treat with out worry.

The whole point is to learn to do everything in moderation.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten to my goal...but...in my opinion, MFP has an option in settings to maintan your current weight. I would use that for a bit until you think you "have the hang of it", then just continue eating similar and continue weighing in every week or so. If you see yourself getting off track, you can put an end to it just as quickly. Good Luck!!!
  • rizorw
    rizorw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am not there yet, But I think you can change your goal settings to Maintain. You may just have to watch your body carefully and see how it reacts to your change. If I were you I would start very slowly, as your body adjusts to the new calorie intake.
    I have worried about his too, but look forward to the day I say I am maintaining. Good job on your loss and good luck.:drinker:
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    anyone else have thoughts? experience?
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi Up2,

I joined MFP in January, precisely because I wanted an online place to record my foods and exercise. I had been a member of the Nebraska Get Healthy initiative last year, but their website changed, and I didn't like how it worked any longer. I still use a spreadsheet to track my miles (I'm aiming to walk 1800 this year -- that's my goal anyhow).

OK...back to your question. When I lost my weight (over the course of about 16 months four years ago), my doctor sent me to a nutritionist. She told me three things:
    1. Watch portion size (I did buy an inexpensive kitchen scale)
    2. Keep your total "carbs" to 15 or fewer per day (15 grams of carbohydrate = 1 "carb" in her world)
    3. Write down everything you eat.
    I thought she was a quack, but it worked for me -- that, and literally, walking my *kitten* off. I started losing weight, but no one really noticed until I had lost about 30 pounds, and people really started to notice after I bought a used treadmill from a friend and began walking on that (wintertime, obviously). I initially lost 72 pounds, gained back 22, have lost 9 of that again (or 10 or 8 depending on the day :wink: ) In all honesty, I was probably too light at 125, so gaining some back was OK.....just not that much.

Like you, I'm pretty much in maintenance.....and would be happy to bounce between 130-135, instead of 135-140 like I currently am. I think, though, that I'll have to record what I eat (at least on most days) the rest of my life in order to hold myself accountable. And, I am hooked on walking. If I don't walk, I feel terrible that day. I walk from 3-5 miles, 5-6 days a week.....and more in the summer (I am a teacher and have more time to walk then). That being said, if there is something special going on (wedding, shower, graduation, etc.), I enjoy myself (don't go hogwild, but don't deprive myself either), and get back at the recording food/exercising the next day.

Not really any advice about recording/not recording.....I just know what has worked for me.

Add me as a friend if you'd like, as we are in about the same situation--wanting to maintain and tone. I am 51, and know that toning will take a lot of work on my part. My daughter will be home from college this summer, and she is planning to work out with me. She's did very well avoiding the dreaded "Freshman 15" but knows she has gained some weight this year. She is working out with friends at college (a fairly recent development), and wants to continue this summer before she heads off to a second college quite a distance from home.

Take care. You've done a great job so far, and I know you can continue!
    Kaye