Please look at my food...

Options
Please look over my food and see if anyone can tell what is wrong. I have been between 179 & 182 since the almost end of June. I walked for 58 minutes and then did a 30 min. hike up and down hills in 95 degree weather yesterday. For the last 2 days, I have weighed 179 and guess what I weighed this morning? 179.5. Exercise plus staying within your calorie zone should not equal a +1/2 pound gain. Help!!! I need to get to 178 and soon or I'm going to lose all hope. It's been over a month at this weight and I'm just about ready to order a medium pizza and eat the whole thing!

Breakfast
Lenders - 100 % Whole Wheat Bagel, 1 bagel

Bananas - Raw, 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long)

Great Value - Orange Marmalade, 2 TBSP

N Joy - Coffee Creamer, 9 Teaspoon

Lunch
Progresso - Light Savory Vegetable Barley Soup, 1 container (2 cups ea.)

Wonder - Light Wheat Bread, 1 slices

Generic - Grapes - Red - Seedless, 23 Grape

Dinner
Wonder - Light Wheat Bread, 2 slices

Jennie O - Hickory Smoked Turkey, 3 ounces

Onions - Raw, 1 slice, medium (1/8" thick)

Snacks
Egg - Hard Boiled, 1 egg

Our Family - Fudge Bars, 1 Bar

Gala - Gala Apple, 1.25 medium apple

Peaches - Raw, 1 small (2" dia) (approx 5 per lb)

Nabisco - 100 Calorie Packs Ritz Snack Mix, 1 Package

Carrots - Raw Baby Carrots, 16 carrots

Tootsie Pop - Sucker, 1 sucker

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sodium
Total: 1,393 274 13 54 34 3,074
Your Daily Goal: 1,750 240 58 65 15 2,500
Remaining: 357 -34 45 11 -19 -574
*You've earned 460 extra calories from exercise today

Replies

• PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Please look over my food and see if anyone can tell what is wrong. I have been between 179 & 182 since the almost end of June. I walked for 58 minutes and then did a 30 min. hike up and down hills in 95 degree weather yesterday. For the last 2 days, I have weighed 179 and guess what I weighed this morning? 179.5. Exercise plus staying within your calorie zone should not equal a +1/2 pound gain. Help!!! I need to get to 178 and soon or I'm going to lose all hope. It's been over a month at this weight and I'm just about ready to order a medium pizza and eat the whole thing!

Breakfast
    Lenders - 100 % Whole Wheat Bagel, 1 bagel

Bananas - Raw, 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long)

Great Value - Orange Marmalade, 2 TBSP

N Joy - Coffee Creamer, 9 Teaspoon

Lunch
    Progresso - Light Savory Vegetable Barley Soup, 1 container (2 cups ea.)

Wonder - Light Wheat Bread, 1 slices

Generic - Grapes - Red - Seedless, 23 Grape

Dinner
    Wonder - Light Wheat Bread, 2 slices

Jennie O - Hickory Smoked Turkey, 3 ounces

Onions - Raw, 1 slice, medium (1/8" thick)

Snacks
    Egg - Hard Boiled, 1 egg

Our Family - Fudge Bars, 1 Bar

Gala - Gala Apple, 1.25 medium apple

Peaches - Raw, 1 small (2" dia) (approx 5 per lb)

Nabisco - 100 Calorie Packs Ritz Snack Mix, 1 Package

Carrots - Raw Baby Carrots, 16 carrots

Tootsie Pop - Sucker, 1 sucker

• Reesy
    Reesy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Just off the top. Your diet is very carb heavy which is not a bad thing but I would try to get veggie carbs in --instead of the bread carbs you are eating.

Also, do you have a healthy bathroom schedule? .5 pound could be a much needed bathroom break. :bigsmile:
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    Reesy: Do you mean carbs from the light bread or carbs from the fruits? And no, I've never had healthy bathroom schedules. Ever. But, since I went yesterday, I don't think that is the issue. :bigsmile:
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    You arent eating all of your carbs, your body is looking at itself in starvation mode.
  • littlespoon
    Options
    Some people really benefit from eating their exercise calories, and I dont think you did that today, as you are still 300 or so calories under.
    You might also still need a top up of water if you did such a lot of exercise in that heat?

Just suggestions.
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    PoN,

I agree with Reesy. Your meals are carb loaded. And you have very little protein (turkey and an egg). Remember, carbs are immediate energy but proteins are the slow burn... keeping you fuller longer. Carbs from veggies are the best, fruit are ok (but watch the natualr sugar) and grains can be a no-no in large quantities.

I would recommend adding non fat, low sugar yogurt (I like Fage, greek yogurt) with some fresh or frozen berries/other fruit in the morning. If you can't seem to get the protein in, try adding a protein drink (I get my whey protein in powder form from Cost Plus Nutrition) mid day.

Good luck!
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options

I hope the columns show up easier to read this time. These were my numbers yesterday.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

Ok, first--

WAYYYY high in sodium--that is the big thing I noticed. Recommended levels are no more than 2500 a day and you're getting over 3000. You've got to bring that down. It will cause you to retain water and keep your blood pressure elevated.

Second--maybe lower your carbs, up your protein a bit.

Third--you're not eating all your calories! You've got to eat to keep your body fueld or it WILL hang onto every drop it can get. Trust me on this one!

Fourth--good fats are needed and you're not getting a whole lot of fats. You might need to add in nuts, PB, etc. to get in some good fats.

Fifth--message banks and ask him for more in depth help on crunching numbers.
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    ******************Calories ***********Carbs ****Fat *****Protein *******Fiber *******Sodium
    Total: *************1,393 *************274 ******13 *********54 **********34 **********3,074
    Your Daily Goal: *1,750 **************240 ******58 *********65 **********15 **********2,500
    Remaining: ********357 *************-34 ********45 ********11 **********-19********** -574

Yes, I love that Progresso soup, but it throws me over on sodium. And, I did have more bread than usual. I usually go over everyday on carbs and protein. And I'm not even a big meat eater. I never realized that so many foods have protein in them before I joined MFP.
  • EllaBella
    EllaBella Posts: 140
    Options
    I agree with shore rider--your sodium is too high, which causes you to retain fluids--hence weight. Especially if it was so terribly hot when you worked out, then even more liquids were lost in sweat and trying to replenish the body. Here is a thought: try no exercise, eating only your allowed calories, fat, etc. and keep your sodium level below 1500 mg. Try for a day or two and see the results.:smile:
  • charles9029
    Options
    I think you should try eating more protien. I go over my limit everyday but I work for a trainer and he ensures me that is the right thing to do. Portien is fast energy and your body is able to burn it quickly. The carbs generally arent used to the next day. Lean protien like turkey, egg whites, and ham will make your metabolism work een harder to brun that extra pound you want.

78200.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Reesy
    Reesy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Reesy: Do you mean carbs from the light bread or carbs from the fruits? And no, I've never had healthy bathroom schedules. Ever. But, since I went yesterday, I don't think that is the issue. :bigsmile:

I was talking about the bread carbs--bagel at breakfast and then bread throughout the day. Even though you are not eating your recommended carbs, these numbers are all recommendations and you will need to find the right balance. Someone mentioned the high sodium--salt will kill you--not literally I don't think but certainly will kill your weight loss hopes and dreams. Are you drinking enough water to flush this out?

I wouldn't worry about half a pound but I know the game it can play on you mentally. Everyone has offered some great advice. Just find the right balance for you. The weight will move---promise. :happy:

By the way, remember to give me this advice when I start wigging out about my numbers. :bigsmile:
    (not to say you are wigging out though) :bigsmile:
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    ******************Calories ***********Carbs ****Fat *****Protein *******Fiber *******Sodium
    Total: *************1,393 *************274 ******13 *********54 **********34 **********3,074
    Your Daily Goal: *1,750 **************240 ******58 *********65 **********15 **********2,500
    Remaining: ********357 *************-34 ********45 ********11 **********-19********** -574

Thanks everyone! Shorerider: How do you message Banks???

I need to add back in my veggies (which I love) and decrease the carbs and sodium. I have a hard time decreasing sodium though, because my blood pressure runs so low already that I've had 3 cardiologists tell me to eat as much sodium as I want and not to let anyone take it away from me to keep my blood pressure up. But, I need to keep the water gain off too. I had started drinking the apple cidar vinegar and that seems to work, but didn't have time to drink it yesterday.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Photo,

Try to think of it this way. Leaving calories on the table is kind of like baking a cake and not using all of the ingredience; it MAY work, but it's not going to look like the picture, and it may not work at all. For the goals you set up to work, you have to follow them. You can be a few calories off, sure, but over 300, that's a lot, goals aren't going to work if you're that far off.
    Also, you're WAAAAAY light on fat. Contrary to popular belief, fat is NOT bad for you, saturated fat and hydrogenated fat are, but not all fat. Your brain uses fat extensively, and your cell membranes use fat as well, so make sure you aren't so light on the fat. 3rd thing is, as all others were saying, your carbs are way off, better to be lower then your goal with carbs and have extra good fat and protein, then to be high on carbs and low on everything else. Remember, carbs are essentially your fuel, when you don't use those carbs, they become body fat. So try to keep your carb intake at or below recommendations, also try to eat carbs in small doses, as your body can only process so many at once, even if you stay within your daily calorie goal, if you eat more carbs then your body can immediately use in one sitting, some of it will turn to fat.
    A side note, if you have too much protein, your body will eventually turn it to sugar if it doesn't need it, but the process takes a lot longer then with carbs, and it burns more energy to do so, so if you do need to go over in your calories, make it protein (or fiber is fine too), as long as you don't go signigicantly over in protein for a really long time, there aren't really any health risks (by a really long time I would mean being over by say 25% or more for over a month straight ... as an example)
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    Thanks Reesy! Actually I am wigging out today over this. Over a month is to long to gain and lose the same 2 pounds.
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    Banks:

"so if you do need to go over in your calories, make it protein (or fiber is fine too),"

you said to go over in fiber if I have too instead of carbs. How do you have fiber without the carbs. Fiber is in breads/cereals and fruits. Which are all high in carbs. How do I get fiber without carbs?:frown:
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    Banks:: Are you still with us???

"so if you do need to go over in your calories, make it protein (or fiber is fine too),"

you said to go over in fiber if I have too instead of carbs. How do you have fiber without the carbs. Fiber is in breads/cereals and fruits. Which are all high in carbs. How do I get fiber without carbs?
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Banks:: Are you still with us???

you said to go over in fiber if I have too instead of carbs. How do you have fiber without the carbs. Fiber is in breads/cereals and fruits. Which are all high in carbs. How do I get fiber without carbs?

TUNA.....high in fiber and 0 carbs. I mix mine with 30 grams of plain yogurt (about 2 TBSP) and eat it like that .... without the bread.
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    Thank you Katy009. Any other ideas though? I can't stand the smell of Tuna long enough to get it down. A funny story. That is how I knew I was pregnant with my son. My husband liked Tuna sandwiches so I would fix them for him, but I started throwing up and passing out when I opened the can of Tuna. :bigsmile:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Well, you can still have carbs, just stay under, there is a lot of food out there with lots of fiber but little carbs. For example. Almonds have 8 grams of carbs, and 5 grams of fiber, and consequently they have 9 grams of protein too and 14 grams of unsaturated fat. That's a power food right there!