what's your favorite bread?

Options
It's grocery-shopping day for me and I need bread. Specifically, I need bread for breakfast toast and lunch sandwiches. What breads do you use that don't throw your calories sky-high? Preferably, options that are available in regular grocery stores (Safeway, etc.), as I rarely get to Whole Foods / Trader Joe's.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• TabiNS
    TabiNS Posts: 15
    Options
    Nature's Pride 100% Whole Wheat (or any Nature's Pride bread). I'm pretty sure it's widely available.
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    any brand potato bread is yummy
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,426 Member
    Options
    Nature's Own double fiber wheat bread. 50 cal. per slice.
  • metajess
    metajess Posts: 29
    Options
    Sara lee 45 calorie. Its at walmart, albertsons, and QFC (probably more, but those are the stores I've found it at so far)
  • tellybelle
    tellybelle Posts: 144
    Options

same here!
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Sara lee 45 calorie. Its at walmart, albertsons, and QFC (probably more, but those are the stores I've found it at so far)

This one is good!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I get Arnold Oat Nut or Wegman's store brand Rye for my husband's lunch.

I'm recently into Thomas' Bagel Thins. I feel like I'm eating a bagel, but it's just little and skinny and 110 calories. Plus, I have jaw problems, so it's easier on me than nomming into a full sized bagel.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee 45cal whole wheat bread. It is the only bread I allow myself to have in the VERY rare occassion that I eat a slice of bread.
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    sara lee 45 calorie bread or pepperidge farms or nature's own deli flats (100 calories for the bun).
  • brooke_g0501
    brooke_g0501 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    We just found a new one we are using! It is Pepperidge Farms light style with fiber, and only 40 calories a slice! They have a couple different kinds!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit indulgent when it comes to bread, but I'm in it for the fiber content. I like Thomas' light multi-grain English muffins. They're 100 calories per muffin but packed with 8g of fiber. I put a bit of almond butter on it and delicious happens.

Same with Thomas' bagel thins, especially cinnamon raisin when I can find it.
  • melon_e
    melon_e Posts: 58
    Options
    We use the Sara Lee 45 calorie per slice bread. It is perfect for toast and sandwiches. Our kids will even eat it!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options

When I saw your post I was so happy. Then I looked up Nature's Own Double fiber bread and it has 100 cal. and 22 carbs per slice ( from there web site). Do I have the wrong bread? Let me know because I would love to find a 50 cal a slice of bread.
    I know weight watchers bread is 100 cal's for 2 slices but they are so small and have no flavor.
  • FitToFab
    FitToFab Posts: 47
    Options
    love the english muffins..light version 100 cal and smart bagels 100 cal...only find them in winn dixie here.
  • ckkh
    ckkh Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Safeway Low - Fat Mountain Grain Bread is my favorite! 140cal for 2 slices and it is so yummy (lots of seeds and grains in it).
  • liyahxoxo
    liyahxoxo Posts: 78
    Options
    i like any brand that makes rye bread. rye bread is my favourite bread in the world !!!!!!!!!! its soooo good. i also love multi grain and that bread thats multi grain and full of the yummy seeds !!! :)
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Oroweat Nutty Grain has 5 gr of fiber and it tastes good.
    My favorite is the bread I make myself. It is 45 calories per ounce and whole grain, but does not have added fiber (it could be added in the form of flax seed or meal, ect.). I would be happy to share the recipe. It takes 5 minutes to mix, 12 - 30 hours to rise, and 50 minutes to bake. It makes delicious toast and nice chewy sandwiches.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all, for the ideas! Off to the store I go :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It's grocery-shopping day for me and I need bread. Specifically, I need bread for breakfast toast and lunch sandwiches. What breads do you use that don't throw your calories sky-high? Preferably, options that are available in regular grocery stores (Safeway, etc.), as I rarely get to Whole Foods / Trader Joe's.
    Thanks in advance!
    Weight Watcher bread is the only one I found. 90-100 cal for 2 slices. There a little smaller but at least you can have a sandwich.
  • shannontrevino
    shannontrevino Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like Joseph's Flax Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Pita Bread. Low fat and high protein.
    60 calories, 20 cal from fat, 2g Fat, 6g Protein, 0 sugar, 0 cholesterol. Excellent source of ALA Omega-3.