not eating after a certain time of night

Options
i was thinking of introducing a no eating after 8pm rule (i usually eat dinner about 7.30pm), does anyone else so this? do you think it helps weightloss/late night snacking?

Replies

• ehedges31
    ehedges31 Posts: 72
    Options
    I read an article from Self magazine that stated it doesn't matter what time you eat, your body treats it the same no matter what time of day. Hope that helps!
  • butterfly_lvr
    Options
    I always have a cut off point for eating at night; 7p is the very latest I will go and anything after that is just water. I may get the munchies later in the night before I fall asleep but I just block it out of my mind and eat a good breakfast when I get up. 7p is usually our slow down time around the house and I don't like to eat anything as I will just be sitting watching TV or in bed watching TV so those extra calories aren't going to get burned off anytime soon.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    Loads of research has been conducted into whether this is a good or bad thing. Some say yes others say no. It's very difficult for me not to eat after a certain time as my fiances shifts are all over the place and I like us to eat together.

Maybe you could try it and see whether it works for you? I think every individual is affected differently by exercise, eating e.t.c. due to a tonne of different factors, so it could be successful for you.

Hopefully someone will reply with personal experience.

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Honestly there is no need for it. At no poibt does your body stop burning calories. I eat before bed every night, just not carbs. Cottage cheese is great before bed. Helps slow catabolism
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    not after 8pm 4 me
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    I eat an evening snack at 9:30-10pm every day (I eat 6 small meals a day - you can look at my diary if you want) and I've been steadily losing weight since August. My weight loss has definitely slowed since I started, but I think that has more to do with the fact that I'm close to goal weight and need to increase the number of calories I'm eating. I don't think it has anything to do with the time at which I eat.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Why create unnecessary handicaps? I regularly eat minutes before bedtime. Just hit a new low weight today. The don't eat at night rule is rubbish.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't believe it makes one bit of difference when you eat as long as you aren't taking the majority of your calories in at once.
  • Missjenn98
    Options
    I used to not eat after 7pm every night and that worked with my schedule. However, now I sometimes won't get home until almost 8pm from the gym and I need to eat after a workout so I'll have some peanut butter with a banana or some grapes or an apple. And I go to bed around 9pm. Play around with it. Some people's bodies cannot eat after a certain amount of time before bed others can. I've always heard not to eat anything too heavy and it won't matter. Maybe don't eat lasagne or something right before bed but a light snack would be fine.
  • asif10
    asif10 Posts: 7
    Options
    I was always under the impression that eating towards the end of the day is a big no no, for people losing weight. (Based on articles I have read online, and tips given to me by personal trainers).

Personally I get to the gym after work (doing interval training) and I would have some dinner before 8pm and that would be the last thing i eat and just drinking water afterwards.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat. I always eat a snack around 10 - 10:30 before I go to bed.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Such a rule wouldn't work for me, because my schedule is different every day. I'm often not home from work until 7 or 7:30 p.m., so by the time I get settled, walk the dog, etc., it's 8:30 and I'm just thinking about what to make for dinner. Other nights, if both hubby & I are home, we might eat together around 7. Or, if I have a night class to go to, I might grab an early dinner at 4:45 or 5 p.m.

I am more concerned with the pacing of my meals (try not to go more than 3-4 hours in between) than what time the clock reads.
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I almost always eat a snack before I go to bed because if I don't I wake up ravenous in the morning and eat too much for breakfast. I try to keep the snack healthy though: fruit, veggies, cottage cheese. Usually I do 2 sticks of celery with some peanut butter and I'm set.
  • suelaura9
    Options
    I've been wondering about this myself. Not necessarily for the reason that it's worse for my body depending on the time of day, more for the reason that I tend to eat less healthy stuff at night and just more. My husband and I tend to watch some TV after our baby girl goes to bed at 8 and I tend to want to eat sweet stuff (and lots of it) while watching TV. However, a rule is hard sometimes because there are nights when we don't eat dinner until after LO goes to bed. That can put dinner as late as 8 or 8:30. Sorry, no help. Just thinking this through for myself as well.
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    I have read that eating just before bed is a good thing as long as it is some protein ... keeps you digestive system working ..
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Eating at night is actually the best thing you can do for weight loss, especially when it comes to carb consumption. Insulin sensitivity is lowest in the evening....this is the time to eat your carbs. It is harder at this time for excess energy to enter the fat cells.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It not when you eat, it's what you eat.

Try to have a healthy snack two hours before bedtime. Protein bar, fruit etc. It will keep you full throughout the night so you don't binge at midnight. Also I always drink one cup of water right before bed. I have read articles that say when we think we are hungry alot of times it is dehydration especially at night.