Eat the Boring Stuff First

Options
As a life long "fluffy" person, I've built up a taste for foods that are decidedly bad for you. They add little in the way of nutritional value and have been transferred from the "dinner staples" section of my eating life to the "nice to haves". I find that most of my struggles with weight loss revolve around my cravings for the nasty stuff. Here's a tip I've been using that seems to work well.

Since weight loss is predominantly calories in calories out, I've learned I can eat the nasty stuff as long as I

1. Don't do it regularly
2. Enjoy human size portions instead of the heaping mounds of cardiac arrest i'm accustomed to.

One thing I love is Panda Express, a chain Chinese food restaurant nearby. Their orange chicken is to die for. If I order it a la carte I can get a modest serving size for 400 calories. If I grab some mixed veggies with that, I've got a meal for 470 from my favorite fast food place.

If I man up and choke down those disgusting bits of broccoli, cabbage, green beans etc, by the time I'm done I'm already starting to feel satisfied. But then I've got the mental reward of my Orange chicken left! By finishing the meal with my favorite part, not only am I full, but I'm full with the delicious taste of orange chicken lingering in my mouth. I've already forgotten about the horrors I had to go through to get to the Orange chicken. Then at the end of the day when I look at my food log, I'm pretty impressed with the nutritional value I've added, that otherwise wouldn't have existed.

Tonight I plan on using this same approach at dinner. We're going out for a friend's birthday. Once I choke down those God awful brussel sprouts, it's on to the Filet Mignon.

Dieting doesn't have to be painful, we just have to find what works. :-)

Replies

• Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Lol funny post, I like the way you look at things
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS eat my veggies first! That way I can look forward to the rest of my meal, and the veggies do quite the good job at filling me up, so if I do end up full before my plate is empty, I'm not skipping out on the veggies but eating less of the "bad for you" food instead.

Also, LOVE the orange chicken at Panda Express. It is the best!
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Too funny! Thanks for the laugh....and GO CUBBIES!!!!!
  • msproducer
    msproducer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right. Great post!

Sharon
  • Queenie000
    Queenie000 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    As a life long "fluffy" person, I've built up a taste for foods that are decidedly bad for you. They add little in the way of nutritional value and have been transferred from the "dinner staples" section of my eating life to the "nice to haves". I find that most of my struggles with weight loss revolve around my cravings for the nasty stuff. Here's a tip I've been using that seems to work well.

Since weight loss is predominantly calories in calories out, I've learned I can eat the nasty stuff as long as I

1. Don't do it regularly
    2. Enjoy human size portions instead of the heaping mounds of cardiac arrest i'm accustomed to.

One thing I love is Panda Express, a chain Chinese food restaurant nearby. Their orange chicken is to die for. If I order it a la carte I can get a modest serving size for 400 calories. If I grab some mixed veggies with that, I've got a meal for 470 from my favorite fast food place.

If I man up and choke down those disgusting bits of broccoli, cabbage, green beans etc, by the time I'm done I'm already starting to feel satisfied. But then I've got the mental reward of my Orange chicken left! By finishing the meal with my favorite part, not only am I full, but I'm full with the delicious taste of orange chicken lingering in my mouth. I've already forgotten about the horrors I had to go through to get to the Orange chicken. Then at the end of the day when I look at my food log, I'm pretty impressed with the nutritional value I've added, that otherwise wouldn't have existed.

Tonight I plan on using this same approach at dinner. We're going out for a friend's birthday. Once I choke down those God awful brussel sprouts, it's on to the Filet Mignon.

Dieting doesn't have to be painful, we just have to find what works. :-)

haha! I always do that. I save the best for last, and eat what I like least first!
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Funny and right on. Gotta find what works for you and hang on to it!
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha! :laugh: Love this! And great tip - I'll definitely recommend it - Thanks! :laugh:
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Wow, and I thought it was just me (silly me)! Nice to know someone else doesn't just LOVE veggies. I eat them, but they are not my favorite. So I am trying to eat my meals exactly the way you described so that I get full and still feel satisfied. I have only been with MFP about 11 days now and its working as I am down 5 lbs. I just loved your sense of humor describing your food loves and intake strategy. Thanks for making me smile. I wish you the best of luck.
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hehe love the post!! I do the same thing! It's a mental bribe and sooner or later you wont think so much about it it'll just happen.