High self esteem makes this harder!

Options
I have really high self esteem. I know I'm over weight, but I like myself. I'm not conceded or stuck up... I'm just down to earth and I keep it real. I know I need to lose weight that's why I'm here and I'm excited to do it.

Here's the thing, I think I'm pretty... I'm no 10 or anything, but I like the way I look. I feel good about myself inside and out (other than I wish I was healthier and thinner). I have a hard time looking in the mirror and saying "You are so fat you need to keep at this and lose all this weight." I know that's what I NEED to do in order to keep myself motivated and keep at this. I'm afraid I'm going to get happy with just 10 or 15 pounds lost and not keep pushing myself for the rest.

My husband loves me how I am, my family and friends don't think of me as over weight or even unattractive. The only thing I have going for me is I don't feel "sexy" like I used to. The hopes of feeling stunning again getting compliments is about the only thing that will keep me going I think. I have such a good self image and high self esteem I'm afraid I'll get too happy too quickly and think "I'm fine, I don't need to keep losing weight."

Call me crazy but its just how I feel. I'm glad I have this site to keep me focused and going!

Replies

• MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I feel a lot like you. In fact, I think the reason why I gained weight to begin with was because I have such a healthy self-image that I still felt hot, even with the extra pounds. I just keep myself motivated by celebrating little successes, like my jeans being too big, or being able to hop quickly down the stairs, or noticing my collarbone again. Oh, and looking at skinny pictures of myeslf helps, too.

ETA: Oh, yeah, and looking at the BMI charts makes me motivated, too!
  • andipandi
    andipandi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    now this is an interesting post.....i take sports psyche and it's an interesting obsevation regarding self image and self efficacy...interesting!
  • disneyval
    disneyval Posts: 18
    Options
    Wow - I think that's great. My husband is always complimenting me as well and I think I could weigh 300 pounds and he'd still think I was beautiful! My husband's family is the same way and have actually told me I should stop losing weight! (They don't see me in my underwear!) Anyway, I'm losing weight as much to stay healthy as I get older as to look better. I'm at the age where I'm starting to lose family members and older friends to diseases that could be at least partially prevented with better habits. I don't want to go there. And I'd like to stay healthy for my kids and one day my grandkids. (although that's several years off - I hope!)