Tofu anyone?

Options
alf1163
alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
I love to eat tofu when I go to a chinese or korean restaurant. The problem is I don't know how to prepare it!!!! I've had it in my hands at the grocery store but I put it back because I have no idea what kind to buy and what to do with it. :laugh: Any ideas????? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• alf1163
    Options
    I love to eat tofu when I go to a chinese or korean restaurant. The problem is I don't know how to prepare it!!!! I've had it in my hands at the grocery store but I put it back because I have no idea what kind to buy and what to do with it. :laugh: Any ideas????? :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I think the thing about tofu is it pretty much ends up tasting like what you put on it! So, maybe bake or grill or broil it and add some seasonings or sauce? Maybe marinate it and then grill?? Something like that would be good. I like SOME of it but often the ones in the store are SOO greasy!!! :grumble: :grumble:
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    The way I use tofu is...I ALWAYS freeze it and then thaw it out. I have no idea why, but it gives it a completely different texture than if I just use it right when I get back from the grocery store. I also always drain and pat it dry with a towel, because Tam is right, it is usually really greasy. I make lasagna with it, cube it and put it in spaghetti sauce, use it in ravioli filling (hmm...I guess I use it with pasta a lot. I've never noticed that. :laugh: ) I always buy extra firm, unless I'm making a dip or something, then I use the silken tofu. My husband doesn't even know when I put it in things until I tell him.

One thing we do is put it in homemade macaroni and cheese that we bake. Yummmm....Throw some veggies in there, and it is heaven in a bowl.
  • sdjurek
    sdjurek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oh I wish I has seen this sooner!
    I love tofu and here is my preferred way to prepare it:
    drain firm tofu and squeeze the excess water out. Cut it into slices and put in a plastic baggie with a marinade for 15 minutes to 2 days.
    Marinade:
    equal parts olive oil and balsalmic vinegar (about 1/4 c each)
    chopped garlic (one clove or 5, depending on what you like)
    salt and pepper
    any additional herbs- basil, parsley, etc.

Turn oven to broil and put oven rack on 2nd to top level. Put tofu on broiling pan (i put water in bottom part to make clean up easier) and broil tofu on one side for about 6 minutes. Turn tofu slices over and broil for about another 6 minutes. Tofu should be slightly browned and a little crispy.
    Serve on:
    salads, sandwiches, in hot dog buns with ketchup, in pasta, etc.

And I've never found tofu to be greasy. I don't know how that's possible!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Oh I wish I has seen this sooner!
    I love tofu and here is my preferred way to prepare it:
    drain firm tofu and squeeze the excess water out. Cut it into slices and put in a plastic baggie with a marinade for 15 minutes to 2 days.
    Marinade:
    equal parts olive oil and balsalmic vinegar (about 1/4 c each)
    chopped garlic (one clove or 5, depending on what you like)
    salt and pepper
    any additional herbs- basil, parsley, etc.

Turn oven to broil and put oven rack on 2nd to top level. Put tofu on broiling pan (i put water in bottom part to make clean up easier) and broil tofu on one side for about 6 minutes. Turn tofu slices over and broil for about another 6 minutes. Tofu should be slightly browned and a little crispy.
    Serve on:
    salads, sandwiches, in hot dog buns with ketchup, in pasta, etc.

And I've never found tofu to be greasy. I don't know how that's possible!

Thanks!!! I still have not gotten the guts to buy it and try to prepare it. Any particular brand? I really want to try because as I said I love to eat when I go to korean restaurants. And I've heard it is very healthy... :flowerforyou:
  • shahrazad990
    Options
    tofu is only as good as what its prepared in. its like a sponge so if you have it with fried foods, it will suck up alot of the oil which completely nixes any health benefits it may have had.
  • sdjurek
    sdjurek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I usually buy Panda Brand but it's made in Michigan so it's always available and our ailing economy needs support! I think any brand is fine but make sure it's Firm and don't buy silken (I find silken tofu more appropriate for dips and other things pureed)- it will be labeled clearly as silken so you can't really buy it by mistake.

Take the plunge!
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I was thinking about buying some myself, but have never really given it a try at home. Will definitely put this on my shopping list for next week (just went shopping yesterday).
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Oh boy...Tofu...where to begin! lol WELL I thought I was a granola person so I bought some tofu, soaked it in veggie broth with some sage and chili pepper flakes and some other spices. Then breaded it in flour and fried it in 1tbls olive oil. The first piece tasted excellant and I got excited and started planning ways to trick my husband with it and blah blah blah. Well then I ate another piece and for some reason it hit my gag reflex HARD and all of a sudden I was ill...lol the taste, the texture everything about it went from being mildly pleasing to horribly disgusting. I guess I am NOT a granola person after-all :cry: such a shame!