Any Roller Skater/Bladers Out There?

Options
My 8 y.o. daughter loves to roller skate and I woud love to be able to join her - I used to love it when I was a teenager. Unfortunately, now that I'm 40-ish, my balance is not what it was. I can run or do the elliptical with no trouble whatsoever, so I thought I could handle rolling around on wheels, but nope, I can't. the las time I went I had to hug the wall the entire time, and the few times I attempted to let go I fell on my hind end (once on my back, knocking my head on the floor). I refuse to accept that I'm just not capable of doing this! Plus, my boss, who's in her 60's, has an annual skating party and as I drop weight I would love to able to go to her party and actually join in.

Is there anybody out there who skates or blades with some tips or advice? I've googled and youtubed the question, but haven't found much that helped.

Replies

• arw3b3
    arw3b3 Posts: 52
    Options
    It strange that you posted this because I went rollerskating with my 7 year old today. I hadn't been in quite some time and was surprised at how quickly I got the hang of it again. My best advice is to hug the wall as much as you need to but only grab it if you are going to fall. The fastest way to get back into it is to regain your balance. As hard as it is, it will be easier if you can relax your body and just go with it.

I have faith that you can do it:) It is also a great workout. I skated for 90 min and burned over 1000 calories.

good luck!
  • liveinbliss
    liveinbliss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I'm 40 and tried out for and MADE our local roller derby team last year! Unfortunetly I came to my senses and realized if i broke my leg I wouldn't be able to work so I only ended up skating with them for 6 weeks. It was really hard the first couple times I was back on skates but it did get much easier really quick after that. Bend your knees and lean forward a little bit and that will save you from falling backwards. I hate rollerblades however...old school quads are bomb!
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have been roller skating since it began snowing here! (I have access to an empty building that I can do it at). Anyway, I got the roller skates two years ago during one of my, then, attempts to exercise and get healthy!

I had a very hard time the first couple of times but I am all over the place in them now! I LOVE IT and it's great exercise. You will just have to keep trying and you will get it. Believe it or not, though, I can NOT roller blade. I have tried and tried and can't.
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    have a leg injury now, but I love to skate. I haven't been in a few months, but it's AWESOME exercise. My kids love that I can do it with them now. When I was severely obese, I tried and my feet would hurt really bad... Now I just skate and skate and skate.
  • TwilaG
    TwilaG Posts: 134
    Options
    I went roller skating for the first time in 25 years last January. I hung to the walls the first hour; the second hour in a half I was doing pretty well - kind of like I had never been away from skating. But, then a little girl fell, I tried to help her up and went down. It has been 15 months and my tailbone is still sore. My advice, keep trying but don't get so sure of yourself that you forget that it has been a while since you had been skating. lol
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I started roller skating with my friend. We are 38. It took a few times before I got the hang of it again. However it is fun, and you don't feel like you are exercising. I lost 30 pounds doing this two times a week for an hour and a half each session. Great fun, and great results. :)
  • misssparta
    Options
    I don't know what it would be like in your area but see if your local rink has learner sessions, if it's your kind of thing find out about your local roller derby. Lots of mums do it and it should be all ages. I just started with a local team and I'm so bad but they are all so nice. I'm so excited every Thursday to get to training! =)

You mentioned you hit your head, where you wearing a helmet? Always wear safety gear! Knee pads, elbow pads, writs guards, helmet and mouth guard. Or a helmet and knee pads at the very least. If your scared of falling backwards bend your knees, keep your back straight, shoulders up and forwards, almost like a sitting possition. It keeps your centre of gravity forwards and balanced and your less likely to go down backwards. Also if you have knee padds and wrist guards, and your in this position (they call it derby stance) then you have less distance to fall and will more than likely fall easily onto your knee pads.

Hope this helps.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I've tried the bending knees and leaning forward, but my feet just come out from under me. If I need safety equipment to be able to do it safely, I think I'll have to give this exercise a pass! I love to run, and the last time I fell at the roller rink I felt the bruise on my tailbone for more than two months. I agree it's great exercise and it looks like a lot of fun, but I don't want to do anything that prevents me from running at my best.