Eating exercise calories. Yes or No?

Options
I have been googling my *kitten* off to find out if I should eat my exercise calories or not. I've been steadily losing 1.5 lbs/week for the past 2 months with 1200 calories/day with 1-3x a week cardio, 2x a week weight training. Sometimes, I eat it back sometimes, I dont. But I just want a real solid answer. I can't search this forum cuz there's no search button so I apologize if this was already asked before.

To eat or not to eat that is the question :)

Replies

• rjohnson3452
    Options
    Found this on a similar post.

www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Found this on a similar post.

www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

Hey! I was about to post that. :( Beat me to it, darnit!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Ok, the way MFP works is that the calorie goal that the site gives you already includes a deficit based upon the goals you entered that you want.. So if you selected to lose 1 pound a week, MFP deducted 500 calories from your daily calorie burn (go to goals-right hand side-to see breakdown). The idea here is to maintain that deficit, not increase it to potentially unsafe and unsustainable levels. If you eat too little, you may very well have trouble maintaining the diet and probably put on weight when you've reached your goal and stopped dieting. So the system here adds the calories you burn during exercise to your daily goal, so as to maintain that deficit exactly, in a healthy manner.

So yes, you eat your exercise calories, on MFP.
  • Kissxx
    Kissxx Posts: 99
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I actually found the search button lol.

And from what I read, You also have to subtract your exercise burn to what you normally burn in an hour of just sitting around. That is too obsessive for my lifestyle so I'm just gonna eat just half my exercise calories since those ellipticals in the gym arent that accurate anyway.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan!