High Protein Vegetarian?

Options
SavBrookeS
SavBrookeS Posts: 44 Member
Do any of you have any easy high protein no meat recipes? Especially dinner recipes? I've been trying to eat more protein but I don't like eating meat all the time or spending the money on it.

Replies

• travelgirl09
    travelgirl09 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of tostadas. Lots of protein and good carbs.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    feel free to friend me and look at my diary. i am vegan. good luck.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Do you eat eggs? Eggs are always a good way to go to up the protein, and they can be cooked in many different ways.
  • iheartralphie
    iheartralphie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of soy "veggie" products, LightLife makes some good high protein low fat products. :)
    I also drink a protein shake for breakfast, one from Body Fortress has 52g of protein and low carbs/sugar/fat. But you have to use it as a meal substitute unless you are a body builer, since its 280 cal per serving....lol. I usually have that and a piece of fresh fruit, it actually keeps me full awhile. Hope this helps!! :)
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Anything with lentils, chickpeas, and other legumes would be a good option. I also like Kashi GoLean cereal--it has lots of fiber and protein.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i am a vegetarian..and its more expensive to eat non meat protein. but i am concerned about ethics not cost. there are veggie brauts and links that have tons of protein in them..they are all soy products. there are beans, lentils and black beans are higher in protein. also there are pastas that are pretty good too. try greek yogurt its high, and cottage cheese. of course dairy/cheeses are high. if you eat a good combo of all these throughout the day or week you'll get all your essential aminos.

most meat eaters get too much protein anyways..you should only be intaking 40-60 grams a day. that is the healthy recommended dose. look it up on the american heart association.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I get most of my protein from Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans/legumes, and tofu. I don't consume many meat substitute type products. But beans or tofu are really easy to integrate into lots of dishes. Check out vegweb.com, they might have some recipes that look interesting :)
  • SavBrookeS
    Options
    Do you eat eggs? Eggs are always a good way to go to up the protein, and they can be cooked in many different ways.

Yeah I eat eggs, I just don't usually care for them, I guess I should hard boil them, that's how I like them best.
  • SavBrookeS
    Options
    i am a vegetarian..and its more expensive to eat non meat protein. but i am concerned about ethics not cost. there are veggie brauts and links that have tons of protein in them..they are all soy products. there are beans, lentils and black beans are higher in protein. also there are pastas that are pretty good too. try greek yogurt its high, and cottage cheese. of course dairy/cheeses are high. if you eat a good combo of all these throughout the day or week you'll get all your essential aminos.

most meat eaters get too much protein anyways..you should only be intaking 40-60 grams a day. that is the healthy recommended dose. look it up on the american heart association.

I too am more concerned about ethics which is why I spend more $$ on better quality meats, and why I want to stay away from eating actual meat products but still incorporate a good amount of protein each day. Thank you, do like greek yogurt and cheese.
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    anything with beans (tacos, burritos, taco salad, chili, bean soup, beans and wheat pasta, add beans to salads, bean burgers, hummus) I try to use a variety of beans and keep different kinds on hand all the time

Tofu - (stir fry with veggies, tofu, and brown rice, fried tofu sandwiches, scrambled tofu, in spaghetti sauce, in chili, even in breads and desserts)

Quinoa - (as a side dish, asparagus quinoa casserole, use instead of rice)

cottage cheese is awesome in and with many things (with a baked potato, with spaghetti, piled on a veggie burger, with fruit...)

Many pastas and rice have lots of protein, try differnent types and brands, usually the darker the more protein. Black rice is awesome!!

avacodo has protein and can be made with lots of things

Add a little handful of almonds or other nuts to your dinner plate

Cheese- I use string cheese so that its a small amount and melts ok, there is also soy cheese but it doesnt melt well

Peanut, cashew, or almond butter can be added to some recipes and always goes good for a snack!!

I eat fish so I get it that way and eat it often

of course there is the fake meat products, but that is probably not helpful with the cheapness, protein powder can be added to many things

there are lots more as well, remember that small things add up

Good luck and enjoy!!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    A serving of quinoa has 14g of protein, and it's good for all three meals!