Bathroom scales

Options
Need some help here. I know my scale isn't completely accurate and would like to get a new one. Went to Bed,Bath and Beyond today and every scale I tried told me a different weight. Anyone have a brand that is accurate and reliable?

Replies

• crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I have a weight watchers one and it's pretty good
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    we bought a digital scale from amazon.com that works really well and is accurate, and it also measures your body fat percentage and b.m.i.
  • bsbrulez92704
    Options
    thats the problem with my scale...it isnt reliable...
    it sucks...i need a good brand thats reliable...
    it seems to be hard to tell what scale is reliable or not
  • Idahoheartmom
    Options
    I have wondered this as well...though I think as long as you use the same scale each time it should be pretty accurate. My son gets weighed at his pediatrician, cardiologist and gastroenterologist. We have weighed him wearing the same clothes on the same day within a few hours and gotten 3 different numbers before, so we always compare according to the last weigh in at that location
  • evseqvar
    evseqvar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    They're all different, so you need yo weight yourself on the same one every time and don't believe what the other ones says...Unless is less pounds!! lol
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Remember also to weigh on solid ground instead of carpet as it gives a different reading, I also have a digital scale and find it more accurate
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Even though each scale maybe different, I think if you buy a good scale and just weigh on that one it will be consistant. Mine is so old it works for weight but the bmi is off the charts and varies so much I don't use that or even pay attention to it
  • ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    We recently bought one that is associated with "The Biggest Loser" and it is from Bed, Bath and Beyond. At first, we thought it was a little "off" and then we just realized that a pound is a pound no matter the beginning point. It is a digital and is fairly consistent. Be sure to weigh the same time each day! Good luck!
  • RobinS78
    RobinS78 Posts: 20
    Options
    I think this is common. I'd say...as long as your scale is giving the same...or almost the same reading every time just stick with that and from week to week you'll see the difference. Weight lost is weight lost.

I've had my frustrations with my own scales.

I had a WW scale and it read within 2-3 lbs each time I stepped on at one weigh in. So I had a general "idea". I don't want to dis WW scales, I think my scale was effected by the moisture changes in the bathroom.

Same thing happens with my Wii Fit Scale...I used this scale for a LONG time. I've tested it a few times to see if I'd get a different reading if I redid a weigh in and sure enough I got a different number but it was only slightly different. So I would go with the first weigh in.

Right now I have a more expensive scale from a HomeSense type of place. It was well over $100 (gift card from work). For the most part I get the same reading, or a reading within a pound. Most of the time I take the first reading.

I always weigh in first thing in the morning.

I do a weigh in with a local womens group and I am always a few lbs heavier on that scale (both digital). It's a common complaint that everyones home scale is different even when people weigh in at home then come straight to weigh in Some have said their scale is as much as 5lbs different!

I've googled this issue when I was so frustrated. Change in scale readings can depend on a few things. What flooring, temperature in your house, moisture in your bathroom, temperature outside. From this mini research, I've come to NOT keep my scale in my bathroom because of moisture and temperate changes of the bathroom.

I know my post was probably NO HELP.

I'd say...just pick a scale, stick with it, and weight lost is weight lost.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    They're all different, so you need yo weight yourself on the same one every time and don't believe what the other ones says...Unless is less pounds!! lol
    i agree.. as long as u go by one scale only it's all good!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I would have picked the one with the lowest weight! LOL

They are all going to be different, and I agree with the previous posters. As long as you are using the same scale and weighing on the same time of day, you should be able to tell when you're losing and when you're not.

I have one that also does body fat% -- I just relearned how to use that feature. I wished I had started recording this earlier -- I have a feeling that my weight is holding steady since I'm gaining muscle.

Ths probabl didn't help, either! :blushing:
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Some are only accurate up to a certain weight. I bit the bullet and spent a little more on one that was accurate up to 350 pounds. That way I knew my husband was getting an accurate reading too.
  • sutterbay
    Options
    I agree with all, pick one and go with it. We teach our cardiac patients to weigh at the same time daily and to keep a log to show their docs, as their weights are always different at the MD office scale.
  • sutterbay
    Options
    Oops....double posting.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I would have picked the one with the lowest weight! LOL

LOL me too!
  • treadingpurple
    Options
    I too need to get a new scale. I have one of those old-fashioned "balance beam" scales that you used to see in doctor's offices before they switched to digital scales. Its pretty old and keeps telling me that I am the same weight every week, no matter how much I exercise or diet.
    I agree that you need to use only one scales weight result. My mom told me this after I kept going to the doctor and coming back all upset because their scale weight me at least 5 pounds heavier than any other scales.

Jessie
  • rondakaylindsey
    Options
    All scales vary, even the post office scales vary from scale to scale! I will believe the one that shows my goal weight! LOL
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Bought a Taylor digital scale from Wal-mart last year and its pretty much dead on. I have steel weights at home that are 25lbs. When i put on the scale it shows exactly 25 so its accurate.
  • KPstartingover
    KPstartingover Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Funny that I ran across this topic this morning. I just switched out scales - bought a Taylor digital (the stainless steel one) yesterday because my old scale would go up .5 lb every time I stepped on it (reweighing). Unfortunately for me, when I compared the 2, my old scale had me losing 3 lbs this week, but the new one said only 1. Oh well, that means I'll have a great number next week! This one measures in increments of .2 lbs, while my old one was .5. I like the suggestion not to keep it in the bathroom, but I have no other hard surface to put it (especially if I want to weigh in first thing without a substantial number of clothes on!)