pedometer vs. treadmill reading on calroies burned???

Options
I have been using the readings from my treadmill for the calories burned as long as I have been doing MFP but today I used my pedometer when I walked outside and then again when I walked on my treadmill and the reading is much lower. Treadmill reads 269 calroies burned and the pedometer said 153 calories burned. Which one do I use? Or is there something better I should be using?

Replies

• Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Does either take your current weight into account?
  • AMBrody
    AMBrody Posts: 25
    Options
    With a treadmill you have to take in account that it is going at the same speed the whole time (example: 3.5 mph for 30 minutes). While using a pedometer you are not going at the same speed for the same amount of time (example: 2.5-4.0 mph for 30 minutes). I would say they are both fairly accurate for the conditions, but I would go with the pedometer. I hope this helps.
  • traceyrbb
    traceyrbb Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    the pedometer-it asks for my current weight and my goal weight
  • shelimac
    shelimac Posts: 12
    Options
    I have the same issue with my pedometer reading less than the treadmill. I use the treadmill because it takes my weight and age into account versus the pedometer. I am actually saving up for a HRM because i think it will be more accurate.
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would average them. My HRM has been sky-high for my burns, saying nearly 500 cals in 30 minutes. I go with 300 as my livestrong app suggests for my personal stats and my treadmill settings. Now I stopped wearing the HRM, strapped it to the treadmill and put my thumb on it to get my stats and the number has gone to about 280 in 30 minutes.

I do wish we could afford body buggs.