GlutenFree Dieters out there?

Options
2»

Replies

• bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    oh wow, i can't imagine how much harder to find a allergy free meal for youit must be! thankfully my body can handl corns or i'd really be SOL having been diagnoised Celiac. it's the only grain i've found that closely resembles wheat products. I i could friend you, i'd love to get advice from you and your diet on how you stay balanced and deal with your allergies. :D good luck dear!
  • bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thankfully i've been living with my diagnosis for over 2 years now, so i don't feel like i CANT have anything i def don't feel limited in tha sense, i just know i need more fiber in my diet than i'm getting now. I thankfully have no problems with my thyroid, and it's not that i'm overweight in any sense, in fact i'm in the best range for my height and weight, it's more just feeling a lil more comfy in my boy, but thanks for sharing..
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

You may find, after swiching to GF, when you get incidental / accidental gluten, you have a much more noticable reaction than when you were eating it all the time. Being without it may increase your sensitivity.

I will respectfully disagree. If it is an allergy, you would have less of a reaction over time, there are allergist that have several theories (I worked for one and we discussed this, so I'm not just speaking from personal experience) One is once allergic, always allergic, another theory is you can stop eating for a year, then reintroduce and may no longer have an allergic reaction and that the third theory is eat it only occasionally and you will minimal if any reaction so long as you avoid it most of the time. We took the approach of removing allergy trigger foods for an entire year from my son and reintroduced them with no problem.

I'm not talking about Celiac's, I'm talking about people (like me) who are non -celiac but gluten-reactive. When I am not on a GF diet, I can eat a slice of bread without having a particular 'reaction'. When I have been strict about being GF, and I get some accidental gluten, at a restaurant for example, I really notice it.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Any idea how much or how long one would need to be eating gluten before having a blood test? My doctor wanted to test me, but I had other medical stuff that needed taken care of and with no insurance I have to wait to have more money for it. But am eating gluten free in the mean time.

And do you know anything about a possible intestinal yeast infection causing gluten intolerance symptoms? Someone I know says this is what was causing her symptoms. I had realized I had been going months with a yeast infection, just thinking the symptoms were just perimenopause stuff. But my doctor said most doctors do not believe that yeast infections occur in the intestines.

If you are Celiac, you probably don't need to eat much or for very long. When I have been tested (on more than one occasion), they wanted me on a relatively high level of gluten for 2-3 weeks before testing.

As for the yeast infection, I would suppose that any chronic intestinal inflammation / infection could mimic symptoms of Celiac's, just by interfering with your intestinal function.
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options

@ Cassisa - I'd worry about them telling you an allergy to having any white rice - rice is still rice, it's the gain which would have an allergy reaction, just like white corn - corn is corn, it's the same protein that your body is reacting to with a histamine reaction. You may not have as severe of a reaction, but you body will still see it as a rice protein.

Gluten free is actually a great lifestyle IMO, we do it well and it's easy. Lots of nuts, meats, fruits, veggies. You can take Flax Seed or eat apples for protein.

If it's celiac disease - have your thyroid tested - this could be part of the weight problem. They are often closely connected. Most celiac patients have a milk allergy/intolerance as well. But my kids found that once we got the celiac treated and intestines in better shape, the milk allergy diminished.

Best of luck.
    Thanks for the awesome advice!
    I'm a little confused by your statement though. Are you saying ALL rice/corn would be a trigger for me? or i shouldn't have a reaction to white rice/corn?
    As i said - I'm new at this! :)
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I had spaghetti squash tonight instead of pasta under my sauce! It was pretty good, I think I actually prefer it to the gluten free pastas I've tried. I love the calorie count on it too! :)
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    yum! I love eating squash for my noodles <3
    My mom and I just eat yellow summer squash or zucchini with our sauce, don't even worry about using "spaghetti" squash
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I think I'm experiencing the same type of thing. I made those frozen homemade pb cups, and ate a few, I think there may be a trace of wheat in the pb as I felt some mild symptoms then the next day at group they had strawberry shortcake with angel food cake. Angel food and strawberry shortcake are one of my very faves and low cals so I had a small piece of angel food, I thought the next day I would feel something but didn't, though I did briefly when I first ate it. Then last night my son came home with Great Harvest Apple Cinnamon bread. And I had to have a bite of that. I know just a bite of bread can give me quite a bit of pain, but I got NOTHING. But I know if I kept piling it on, I would get very sluggish, and tired and there would be a great amount of pain and then I would have to back off from all of it. It seems this sort of cycle has gone on before, I guess that maybe why I keep thinking it's all in my head. lol

You may find, after swiching to GF, when you get incidental / accidental gluten, you have a much more noticable reaction than when you were eating it all the time. Being without it may increase your sensitivity.

I will respectfully disagree. If it is an allergy, you would have less of a reaction over time, there are allergist that have several theories (I worked for one and we discussed this, so I'm not just speaking from personal experience) One is once allergic, always allergic, another theory is you can stop eating for a year, then reintroduce and may no longer have an allergic reaction and that the third theory is eat it only occasionally and you will minimal if any reaction so long as you avoid it most of the time. We took the approach of removing allergy trigger foods for an entire year from my son and reintroduced them with no problem.

I'm not talking about Celiac's, I'm talking about people (like me) who are non -celiac but gluten-reactive. When I am not on a GF diet, I can eat a slice of bread without having a particular 'reaction'. When I have been strict about being GF, and I get some accidental gluten, at a restaurant for example, I really notice it.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome advice!
    I'm a little confused by your statement though. Are you saying ALL rice/corn would be a trigger for me? or i shouldn't have a reaction to white rice/corn?
    As i said - I'm new at this! :)

Yes, your body wouldn't be able to identify HEY WHITE RICE protein here... it would see Rice Protein, White may be a little different or a higher response, because it's a modified or bleached version, but rice protein is rice protein. Just like Chicken Egg or Ostrich Egg - still an egg. If that makes sense. What type of testing did you have, blood, RAST, Scratch?? That can make a big difference in your allergy testing results, some are more accurate - you also can test positive if you have ate the day before testing.. and may not really be allergic at all. Food allergy testing isn't a strong science, it's a guessing game. Are you working with an allergist?

Also, people can test positive for allergies, when it's really a parasite cleanse that needs to be done AND.... the severity of the allergy needs to be tested for as well. You may be "allergic" to something, but with such a low trigger that you can get away with it occassionally. Allergy testing also can be super expensive, and sometimes the best solution is simply self elimination - IE Give up Rice for 3 Months, then have, it, see if you react, if it's a mild allergy, you may be OK.
  • sferrini
    sferrini Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I have both celiac disease and am allergic to cows milk, or the casien protein that is found in cows milk. There are many items that say they are dairy free but if you read the ingredients will list casien protein. If you have an allergy to corn please do your research as corn does NOT need to be listed as an allergy on foods because it is not one of the 7 most common allergies.

I will have to be honest I have the opposite problem as not being able to have gluten, dairy or most nuts I am finding it hard to put weight on, I have also had problems with not getting enough fiber but am finding ways to change that around.