• bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Peeled ,sliced and in a bowl full of apple cider vinegar.... my favorite
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I second the vinegar ideas.

I also like them with balsamic vinegrette dressing - just a few spritzes will do it. If you want a complete meal make couscous and add craisins, cucumber (diced), and feta cheese. Spritz with balsamic vinegrette dressing - enough to darken the couscous a shade or two (taste as you go).

Or just put a bit of feta and vinegar on them.

Also milk dressing (weird sounding I know, but I swear this is fantastic. My grandmother used to make it for salads.) 1 T milk or low fat sour cream, dash salt, 1 T white vinegar, 1 tsp sugar (or splenda), dill (1-3 tsp depending on your taste.) This makes enough dressing to cover 1. 5 large cucumbers worth of slices.

Let cucumber sit in the dressing for 15 minutes for full flavor. Will keep over night in the fridge. (You might want to drain the cucumber for a minute first to keep the juice from thinning out the dressing too much.)
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Use them in veggie sandwhiches
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    I like them as is, but sometimes will slice them and add a bit of vinegar and some salt a pepper. Simple, but yummy.

Ditto! I also like to put slices in my water... yum yum!
  • lmk224
    lmk224 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My favourite way to eat them is in tahini salad mmm mmm! http://www.cookthink.com/recipe/16844/Cucumber_And_Tomato_Salad_With_Tahini_Dressing
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I love cuces as a dipping instrument for garlic hummus. Soooo good
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    -Definitely with just salt or salt/pepper/vinegar.
    -I also like to dip them in hummus or other dip.
    -Chopped up in pasta or green salad.
    -Hollowed out and filled with tuna.
    -Sandwich with a little whipped cream cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, red onion, sprouts and a sprinkle of sunflower seeds
    -Tzatziki sauce-shred 1/2 a cuke and let it drain in a strainer for a bit and squeeze out extra water. Add to 2 cups of greek yogurt
    with some dill, a clove of garlic that has been pressed, and some black pepper.
    -I love to juice them too, for a nummy "green" juice I use: one green apple, 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 peeled lemon, 1 heart romaine lettuce. Spinach or celery or carrots are optional, a pear is really good added too but watch the calories when you do more fruit, I try to just use one piece of fruit and the veggies.
    -I think I want to try to find a gazpacho recipe this summer if I can get my hands on some nice tomatoes!
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I *love* cucumbers. They are a huge staple of what I eat. Here are a few things I like to do with them.

For breakfast, I make a greek omelet. Wilt a little bit of spinach in a pan, add scrambled egg, and then for the inside of the omelet, I use feta cheese, chopped cucumbers and black and/or kalamata olives (also chopped) mixed together and seasoned (I like to use some of or a combination of: garlic salt, celery salt, garlic powder, salt-free garlic and herb seasoning, italian seasoning mix, oregano). Sooooo good.

Sometimes, I'll just chopped up the cucumbers and mix it with a combination of those seasonings (maybe a little bit of vinegar, maybe not) and have just a bowl full of that for a snack.

I make all my own dressings when I make salad, and usually, cucumber is the main ingredient. I use either red wine or balsamic vinegar as the base, and then I'll use some of the water/oil from the olives (again, black and/or kalamata), plus a little bit of mustard (yellow or dijon) to thicken it up, seasonings (see above), and a raw clove or two of garlic, minced- whisked together. Sometimes, I like to use fresh herbs (rosemary, basil), and let it sit in the dressing to infuse it a little bit. I typically use the olives, tons of cucumber, and then some combination of tomatoes, celery, carrots, a slice or two of bacon (real if I'm being indulgent, Trader Joe's turkey bacon otherwise, lol- which I typically add hot to the dressing before the rest, again, to infuse it with the flavor), feta cheese, and then chopped up spinach and/or romaine. Sometimes, I add tuna. My salads take forever to make, between all the chopping of the ingredients, the making of the dressing, and the fact that I add things at different steps (olives + olive water + fresh herbs or non-salted seasonings + garlic first, then bacon, then mustard, whisked, the salt to the chopped cucumber on a separate plate, if I'm using balsamic, that gets added to the chopped tomatoes first and then the cucumbers and tomatoes get added, then the rest of the veggies, lettuce/spinach, then the feta, then tuna if I add it) and mixed at every point to distribute the dressing and the flavor, but it always comes out different (which is fun) and pretty amazing.

I also slice them thin and put them on sandwiches- and only one piece of bread for the sandwich.

Cucumber is awesome. I feel like I can't get through my day without it, lol. :wink:
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am boring. I just eat them salted or in my salad. My 6 year old eats them by the chunk. I break her off a peice and she eats them plain.

I only buy english cucumbers so I don't have to peel them.
  • denise007
    denise007 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Cut in half length ways, remove seeds, then slice into 8ths - then marinate in terayki sauce - yummy sprinkled on salmon!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I'm a lover of cucumbers too!

I like mine on top of extra light philadelphia on a pagan krisproll, topped off with a pinch of salt!...
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I'm not super creative but I love them with hummus and I also enjoy them on my wraps, they add a little something extra to a traditional turkey sandwich.