LBS vs Muscle???? 30DS HELP!

Options
Ok so I need help before I totally give up - I've done 2 days of the shred and I am gaining weight :( I wanted to throw the DVD across the room last night....I know muscle weighs more then fat and although I don't like it I understand it....but someone PLEASE tel me that altough I may gain some weight at first it will just suddenly drop off???? I thought with the 30DS you are supposed to lose weight but get leaner???? I already feel abs LOL - didn't think I had those and everything on me hurts like hell :( but to gain weight???? I wanted to cry this morning.
To me and correct me if I am wrong - but your supposed to lose the weight and then exercise??? Am I doing this wrong? I want to lose the pounds first not turn my already fat into muscle?!?!?!?!?!?! what am I missing here

Replies

• MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Calm down. First off, you're already pretty lean and in the long run, gaining that muscle will help you slim down even more. Secondly, it's only been 2 days. When was the last time you saw something work in 2 days? There's a reason it's call the 30 Day Shred and not the 2 Day Shred. Keep doing it if you want to see results.
  • shug458
    shug458 Posts: 99
    Options
    LMAO - thank you - I guess I need to hear this from people on here - My husband thinks Im nuts and have this ungodly obsession. I just want to make sure I am not doing this for 30 days bc I have ALL intenstions of sticking with it - but I don't want to gain like 10 lbs - I'm 4'11 and 127lbs and although that is not alot and I truely am aware of it - for ME thats too much (which again is why my husband thinks Im insane) LOL -
    Again I love her work out and I plan to get through the whole thing - I really just want to make sure it's worth it and going to work.

thanks again :happy:
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    No problem. I know how you feel. At 5'4" and 135, I felt "too big". Stick with the program and really push yourself - get your HR way up and sweat it out. Also, I might recommend incorporating more whole foods into your diet. Your body has to work a little bit harder to break them down, and they're just better for you. :)
  • shug458
    Options
    thanks :) Gonna stay focused b/c that has always been my problem (which I will admit out loud this time) LMAO When I don't see results that I want quickly I completely give up. Had it not been for MFP honestly I would have thrown the DVD out already - yes after 2 days - weight gain and me DO NOT play nicely :laugh:
    thanks again - I am sticking to it - I am so sore and my husband told me don't work out tonight - I said "ummm it's only been 2 day and you want me to stop, what are you nuts" - not giving up for me this time.
  • ftoddw
    ftoddw Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Stick with it - and don't freak over daily weigh-ins. Our bodies loose and hold onto weight from day to day and react differently to stress and hard work - the 30DS is pretty intense so after a hard workout the body is busy repairing muscle tissue and often holds onto fluids to do so, not to mention the muscle weigh more than fat deal. Check your weight everyday but only compare week to week weights and tell tale measurements like how your clothes fit, etc. I'm in a 90 day fitness challenge at my gym and I was bummed that the scale said I only had only dropped two pounds from my last weigh in two weeks ago - but I had been working out like a mad man and eating really clean, not only that I was down a pant size and looked and felt thinner and stronger. The fat caliper measurements showed I had actually lost 14 lbs of fat since my last weigh in and gained 12 lbs of muscle. I'll take that any day.
  • TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other responses...in addition...when you change your workouts (as you have by starting something new) your muscles will hold water for up to two weeks from the change, so ur weight gain could most likely be water retention, this will go down once ur body adjusts....stick with it..don't give up..
  • TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Also contrary to what u read and hear, muscle doesn't weight more than fat...it just takes up less space..
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that as you add muscle, you will also be boosting your metabolism to burn more calories while you are resting. Keep at it. Best wishes. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like.:smile:
  • carrie_lebel
    Options
    I would really try to drink more water. You are not drinking enough.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    muscle dosent weigh more than fat,just sayn
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Also contrary to what u read and hear, muscle doesn't weight more than fat...it just takes up less space..

Thank you for clearing this up, 5 lbs is 5 lbs, it is the mass that will change. 5lbs of cotton balls is going to look huge compared to a 5 pound rock, but they both weigh the same. Muscle looks leaner and has less mass than fat. I am posting a link that will help you understand and visualize the difference between muscle and fat.

http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    Don't panic. You're just starting on this journey and your body is adjusting.

Even after losing a good amont of weight, I hit a slight stall in weight loss when I started heavy circuit training. Think of it as the pause between gears when you're driving a stick shift-- press on and you will take off, take your foot off the gas and you;ll stall out and go nowhere. Just stay ccnsistent. Burn more calories than you take in and build lean, toned muscle, and consume good quality fuel for your body and you will see the change you're looking for.

Don't worry about "fat turning into muscle,' either. Those are two separate biochemical processes. Your body is burning fat stores for fuel and converting that energy into muscle....and they aren't necessarily in the same place. So, aching abs today will not translate into musculed-up muffin top tomorrow.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Maybe try not to weigh yourself so often - once a week in more than enough.

Also, seeing as you're already very light in the first place you may want to re-think your focus. Do you really want to lose weight OR is it that you want to lose inches???? Maybe you could measure your success in this way??? Just an idea - the scales are really not the best measure of success given your starting point :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    weigh at the end of the week instead of each day, im on day 6 30d shred and i,ve maintained since last weigh in which was just before starting shred:smile:
  • vanfox23
    vanfox23 Posts: 110
    Options
    I just wanted to add...please make sure you are eating enough to help your weight loss/muscle gain. I didn't realize i wasn't eating enough doing P90X. I was working out hard and only eating around 12-1400 total, not eating back any calories. Now that I am eating more, (right around 1800) I feel better. I have been losing some weight and I'm cautiously optimistic since I've been plateaued for over 6 months. Keep doing what you are doing! You are doing a great job!
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    when I did the 30ds I didn't lose much (maybe a pound or 2 the whole time) but I made a commitment to keep doing it and what I lost was inches. take your measurements right now and then check at the end of the 30days. You will totally see a difference. then, since your body will be more fit and you will have built more lean muscle you will cont' to burn cals more when you switch to another workout. that's when i saw more weight loss....after the 30days. I started doing some of her other w/o's like Banish Fat Boost Metabolism...which is killer cardio, and alternating it with No More Trouble Zones...which is intense cardio and strength. Now I'm doing the new one "ripped in 30"..... which is awesome as well.

and to reinforce what others have said....make sure you are eating enough. your body won't let go of extra weight if it doesn't think you are going to feed it properly! I had to increase my minimum cals to 1400 to start losing. and hydration is key to letting go of water retention and keeping your body functioning properly!

good luck!
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, and how about tossing that scale out the window? LOL jk. Seriously though, I would definitely wait at least a week before you weigh yourself. And, did you take your measurements, because you may see significant change in shape that the scale doesn't reflect. Oh, and you are not turning fat into muscle - you are shedding fat and increasing muscle :wink:

Stick with it!!!!
  • shug458
    Options
    thanks so much everyone :) this really helped :) Yes I took my measurements Friday morning b/c I tracked my DVD in the mail and knew it was coming Friday night (which is when I started). I will take my measurements after level 1 is done (10 days) - Im doing day 3 tonight after my boys go to bed tonight but I am soooooooooooo sore - Im having a hard time even picking up my 3 year old and geez walking down steps LMAO - yeah that takes forever! The plus side is my belly and abs are really sore which is my main target spot that I need to shred - 2 c-sections later :)