Should I take an exercise vacation?

Hi Everyone,

I tend to do and hour of cardio (usually spin 3 days) six days a week. Every other day I also do another hour of strength training. I also tend to take the dog hiking a couple of times a week too. I have noticed the last few weeks that my body is generally really tired and my muscles aren't recovering as quickly as they once did.

Does anyone have any info on the benifits of taking a break? And if so, how long should it be?

Replies

• Hi Everyone,

I tend to do and hour of cardio (usually spin 3 days) six days a week. Every other day I also do another hour of strength training. I also tend to take the dog hiking a couple of times a week too. I have noticed the last few weeks that my body is generally really tired and my muscles aren't recovering as quickly as they once did.

Does anyone have any info on the benifits of taking a break? And if so, how long should it be?
  • After 2months of training, take a 1 week break.

This gives the body a full chance to completely recover.

Then go back to training.

You are kind of over doing it a bit. You may want to back off to 1/2 hr of spinning/ cardio per day.
    Try the interval cardio training. (HIIT)

Just some suggestions.
    :smile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    I ride a lot and take a week off about every 3-4 weeks-- I wasn't doing that but then just got so exhausted I couldn't hardly make 5 miles on the bike much less the distances I had been riding.

So I say take a break--keep to your calorie limit during that time though!

Also, changing up your schedule will keep your body guessing and your metabolism from settling into a pattern.

Also--make sure you're eating your exercise calories!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Here's a website my trainer directed me to. See if you recognize yourself (I certainly did!)

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/overtraining/a/aa062499a.htm

Yes, my trainer wants me to not exercise. I'm going out of town next week, and I'm taking five days off. (Oh, the decadence!) I've been going at it for seven days a week (varying intensity) and my body is protesting.

:flowerforyou: