Weight gain during mentsruation?

Options
Do you women out there also gain weight before/during your monthlies? :)
If so, how much do you usually gain ? I I gain around 1 to 3 pounds before and feel really bloated and heavy...
Is it mostly water weight?
Thanks and good luck with everyone's journey!!!

Replies

• karenmiller81
    karenmiller81 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes for sure. I literally can't wear certain pairs of jeans during that time of the month which normally fit fine. Also, it might be mostly in my head, but I feel the absolute thinnest and lightest immediately after my period is done. It's definitely mostly water weight.
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    I usually have a decent drop in weight AFTER my TOM.... like 1 or 2 pounds. My jeans can feel really tight just before it comes.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Yep. It's perfectly normal. It's water retention - not fat. It goes away in a few days. I've found it helps to drink lots of water and limit salt, but even that won't entirely eliminate the issue because it's mainly the hormones doing their thing ;-)
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Most definately do!! At least 3 lbs for me.....I feel like someone stuck an air hose in me.....avoiding the scale like the plague this week. Happens every single month, no matter what I do. At least it goes away, I guess...Lol
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    about 3 pounds for me as well...
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Usually about 4 days before I start slowing gaining. It lasts till about 4 days after my TOM is done. It is anywhere from 4-6 lbs.

Sometimes it is not fun being a girl.:yawn:
  • sk8erx_d12
    Options
    I always gain weight during my period, about 4 pounds , I think it's because of the vasopressin wich makes you to retain the water and the menstruation with its blood and liquids wich should be eliminated. I also have a bigger apetite a week before my period.
  • rushmirmir
    Options
    The doctors told me that you can gain up to 5 pounds. I usually do 4. I hate to weigh myself in that time too because it gets me stress and depressed.
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I gain up to 4 pounds and it takes a few days after for it to drop off.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Also need to add it isnt in my head....I'm STARVING (the day before)....Lol
  • jadebugs
    jadebugs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Your lucky it just the day before...i am the whole WEEK before!!
  • Kissxx
    Kissxx Posts: 99
    Options
    Yes this happens to me all the time. Ive monitored it for the past 2 months. I skip weighing in during these dreadful times lol
  • kittykat232
    Options
    I have to say, I was glad to see this post this morning, I have been on MFP for 20 days and I thought I was doing well (down 4 lbs) then Hello TOM and Im suddenly right back where I started! It was very discouraging, I allways knew a woman retained a little water, I just didn't realize it could be 4-5 lbs. So thank you ladies, I will skip my weigh-in this week and hope for a surprise on the scale once things are back to normal :)
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    yes, that's me! i try not to weigh myself a few days before and during because my weight can go up 1-2 lbs. i also feel bloated and fat! then after my period, i usually go back to my normal weight or lose some! :)
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I gain 3-5 lbs 24 hours before and stay heavy with bloat for up to 5 days! Its ridiculous!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    yea of course, its the insides that get thick so we weigh more even if we dont look it...for me its like 2-5 lbs...
  • KristaPFT
    KristaPFT Posts: 63
    Options
    I gain about 2-3 lbs the week before and the week of. It is normal though and don't let it discourage you. You will also be twice as hungry because of our hormonal changes. That is why we crave the worst foods lol. Good news it that your metabolism speeds up the week before you start so the little extra calories that you do eat will be burned off easier. I also find it harder to work out as intensely because I feel weak sometimes. Just make sure that you are getting enough iron and water during your period because we tend to have a deficiency of iron at this time. :grumble: Periods suck lol
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    I have to say, I was glad to see this post this morning, I have been on MFP for 20 days and I thought I was doing well (down 4 lbs) then Hello TOM and Im suddenly right back where I started! It was very discouraging, I allways knew a woman retained a little water, I just didn't realize it could be 4-5 lbs. So thank you ladies, I will skip my weigh-in this week and hope for a surprise on the scale once things are back to normal :)

DITTO! Except I had only been on MFP for a week, lost 4 pounds, then I woke up one morning and they were back!!!! I kept checking all week long, and they just stared back at me on the scale. Today I woke up KNOWING why! Since I never followed my weight actively before, I will be checking every morning to see how long this extra takes to say goodby. (yes, I have been doing everything right this past week, gym, calories, water, etc.)

So I am assuming we don't add this "weight gain" into our weigh ins? Or do we????
  • Baileymqt
    Baileymqt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I refuse to weight myself before my TOM. And if I'm good for the week of it, by the time it's over I can surprise myself with an even nicer weight loss.... If I'm good during it of course but that's when I crave more foods.
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    Options
    Yup, usually 3-4 lbs a few days before. It lasts a few days after, too. So, I just don't weigh in for around 1.5 weeks during that time. No point in getting myself down. It's just water weight.