Anybody finished the C25K Challenge? I need advice!

Options
I just got a new treadmill and did the first day today... I'm 28 and new to running so I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is normal. During the joggin portions (1 minute at a time) I could only do 4 mph and even that made my shins and feet hurt. I more than willing to work through the pain, but only if I'm not doing damage to my body. Anybody else experience this? Does it resolve itself?

Replies

• e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    make sure you have good shoes on and also sometimes it helps to raise the incline on the treadmill to at least .5 or 1%....you'll burn more calories and it's actually LESS of an impact than 0% incline.
    I'm on the last day of week 5...it gets harder, yet easier if you know what i mean. I barely made it through day 1 week 1, but now i could do it no problem! My run today has to be 20 minutes of straight running...which is probably easy for some people but i'm terrified!
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    Make sure to do lots of stretching. Before and after running.
    Proper shoes are essential :bigsmile:

... and don't forget to give yourself a proper recovery time between runs. It takes some time to condition your body to run.

Good luck :heart:
  • Brandy3827
    Brandy3827 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll try increasing the incline. I have great shoes. I had my arch measured at the shoe store and bought a pair of Brooks. I love them.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I just started C25K yesterday. I would just recommend running/jogging at the pace you are comfortable with when you start out. And like everyone has said make sure you have good shoes, that really does make a huge difference when it comes to running. I am actually thinking of doing week 1 twice and maybe even doing week 2 twice before I do the higher levels with more running just to give myself more time to work up to it.
  • losethechalupa
    losethechalupa Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey girl,

I have the same problem with shin splints. You should google it and check our the stretching and warming up exercises recommended. Shin splints are a B@$%& and cause me to be sore for days. Unfortunately I have trouble powering thru. I do 3 (1 minute) jogs and I have to walk to the rest of the program. Its so annoying. I have now taken a step back and I am working out on my ellipitcal and doing step dvd's at home to work on calf and shin strength and then I am going to try again in a month or so. Goodluck!
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    i totally did week 3 twice, because i couldn't make myself do the whole portion of week 4 day 1...after i repeated week 3 i made myself do week 4...it was hard, but worth the push!
  • EllyK09
    EllyK09 Posts: 75
    Options
    I'm in week 6 but love hearing from people who are doing c25k. Stretch! Also I've found that walking for 10-20 minutes before starting the actual c25k really helps me warm up for the running portions. Stick with it, take your time, repeat weeks if you don't feel you are ready to move on. Customize it so it works for you and good luck!
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I started C25K on October 13th 2010. I weighed 215 lbs.

Yesterday I ran a solid 11km. I weigh 175 lbs.

6 months from total fatty to wheeeee look at me running.

I :heart: C25K
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I started C25K on October 13th 2010. I weighed 215 lbs.

Yesterday I ran a solid 11km. I weigh 175 lbs.

6 months from total fatty to wheeeee look at me running.

I :heart: C25K

That is great!!! I just started yesterday and I weigh about 215, your story was very encouraging :smile:
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    here's a thread with a whole bunch of us doing the program at different levels and speeds. you might find some help and encouragement there.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/204915-couch-to-5k-start-4-4-11
  • Brandy3827
    Options
    Yay! That's what I needed to hear, LOL! Congratulations :) Thanks for the encouragement.
  • Brandy3827
    Options
    Thank-you!