What "tricks" do you play on yourself to keep on track?

Options
Okay, so over the past few weeks of diet and exercise, I am finding myself playing a bunch of tricks and mind games with myself to keep myself focused and on target. Do you guys have any?

Here are some of mine:

When I am getting tired during my work out, I always ask myself, "If getting to my goal weight depended on finishing this workout strong (or cycling one more mile or walking around the block one more time, etc.) would you do it?" The answer is always yes, and it makes me push forward to finish my workout without wimping out.

I portion out my meals, and I break them into two equal servings. That way, I can go back for "seconds" without sabotaging my calories for the day. Plus, it makes my meal last longer, which gives my body a chance to tell me that I am full.

I bought a box of Godiva Milk Chocolate Pearls and keep it with me so that when I have a chocolate craving, I can have one or two chocolates (the whole tin is only 220 calories), satisfying my craving without racking up extra calories.

When I know I am going to a restaurant sometime in the near future, I look at the menu beforehand and choose the healthiest meal. That way, I won't be tempted once I get there. I also put half of my meal in a take out box as soon as the food comes..."out of sight, out of mind."

Those are just a few of mine...I know ChubbyBunny freezes her chocolates so she has to wait for it to defrost if she really wants it...what do the rest of you do? Do you have little tricks that help you to achieve your diet and exercise goals?

Replies

• BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Okay, so over the past few weeks of diet and exercise, I am finding myself playing a bunch of tricks and mind games with myself to keep myself focused and on target. Do you guys have any?

Here are some of mine:

When I am getting tired during my work out, I always ask myself, "If getting to my goal weight depended on finishing this workout strong (or cycling one more mile or walking around the block one more time, etc.) would you do it?" The answer is always yes, and it makes me push forward to finish my workout without wimping out.

I portion out my meals, and I break them into two equal servings. That way, I can go back for "seconds" without sabotaging my calories for the day. Plus, it makes my meal last longer, which gives my body a chance to tell me that I am full.

I bought a box of Godiva Milk Chocolate Pearls and keep it with me so that when I have a chocolate craving, I can have one or two chocolates (the whole tin is only 220 calories), satisfying my craving without racking up extra calories.

When I know I am going to a restaurant sometime in the near future, I look at the menu beforehand and choose the healthiest meal. That way, I won't be tempted once I get there. I also put half of my meal in a take out box as soon as the food comes..."out of sight, out of mind."

Those are just a few of mine...I know ChubbyBunny freezes her chocolates so she has to wait for it to defrost if she really wants it...what do the rest of you do? Do you have little tricks that help you to achieve your diet and exercise goals?
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options

I couldn't buy a box of chocolates without eating the whole box. I'd be so upset with myself after the fact. Kudos on that! lol

The togo box thing I do already. I learned it form my grandma. Also when I go out for lunch or dinner, I get some lettuce, it helps feel me up. So I'll take a bite of food and then lettuce, then food. So on and so on. It works for me.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    When I want chocolate, I buy a bar, and break off what is in my 'budget' and give the rest to my boys. I only buy one at a time, and only have chocolate once every ten days.

If I feel like a sweet drink like the kids' koolaid or a juice, I water it down by half.

I like sweet light coffee, so I use one scant teaspoon of sugar, and one half a packet of sweet 'n low.

I eat my veggies first -- all of them.

I walk 20 minutes out, so that I have to walk 20 minutes back, making sure I get a full 40 minute walk.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I set my calories back to read 200 less than what I should eat. I still eat them but after I log everything in I have a negative number at the bottom and for whatever reason, that negative number just ticks me off and keeps me from eating stuff at night ( my hardest time). It is completely a mental game with myself, but I am finding that works very well for me.
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options

I couldn't buy a box of chocolates without eating the whole box. I'd be so upset with myself after the fact. Kudos on that! lol

Well the great thing about the tin that I buy is that the whole container is only 220 calories...so it's not like splurging on the whole container would ruin your whole day calorie wise lol.
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    Ack Princess Laundry, where did your post go? :sad: I always love your posts!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Ya I went on and on and on and on...then realized, I wasn't even answering the question or on topic anymore... :laugh: What a surprise! :tongue:
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    Ya I went on and on and on and on...then realized, I wasn't even answering the question or on topic anymore... :laugh: What a surprise! :tongue:

Oh, okay then lol...

I just thought of another trick that I play on myself...I typed up a Dieter's Plege...sort of a contract with myself of the changes I will be making in my life...I then had it notarized (I only had it notarized because I work at a financial institution and my manager has notorial authority...I wouldn't have done that extra step if I had had to take my document to a stranger and pay to have it done). It just feels official now...like there's no backing out...
  • shahrazad990
    Options
    i eat as slowly so i can make sure that i'm not the last person eating. otherwise, if i see other people eating, it makes me want to go back for more.

btw, where do you get the godiva chocolate tins?
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    btw, where do you get the godiva chocolate tins?

I got it at Boscov's department store...but you could probably find them anywhere that sells Godiva...maybe even online?
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I once heard someone say that "Obese people obsess about food all the time except when they are eating". I know that is true for me. I think about food almost constantly, but when it's time to eat I almost black out and suddenly the food is gone. It's very strange now that I am aware of it.

I am trying hard to concentrate on what I am eating, savor and enjoy every bite. One of the distinct benefits of eating slowly and concentrating is that fresher food tastes better. When you're really not paying attention you need the food to be salty & greasy so the flavor comes through. If you're paying attention it just tastes salty and greasy.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    My trick, I log my calories on MFP, and I log them in a journal.

I can say it works for me.

Lets just say that I logged from Jan 2-June 3 on here and in my journal and lost 42.6 lbs.

From June 4- July 25 only on MFP and lost 3.4 lbs

Total 46 lbs.

I went back to logging in both and have lost an additional 2 lbs since July 26th..maybe it was just a plateau or something I don't know, but I will be logging in both. Keeps me double accountable for what I put in my mouth