Strength Training Routine

Options
What are your suggestions on a strength training routine. I want a full body workout currently I am doing
Bench presses 4 sets of 10
shoulder presses 4 sets of 10
cable row 4 sets of 10
lats cable pulldown 4 sets of 10
triceps cable pulldown 4 sets of 10
dumbell bicep cursl 4 sets of 10
leg press 4 sets of ten
hip abductions 4 sets of ten
leg curls 4 sets of ten
crunches 50
hip raises on balance ball 50
back extensions 4 sets of ten

any suggestions to additions or changes would be greatly appreciated or if im doing well enough as is.

Replies

• chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i would suggest breaking it into two days worth - an upper body day and a lower body day and adding some cardio to each day.

M: upper body/cardio
    T: lower body/cardio
    W: all cardio or rest day
    Th: upper body/cardio
    F: lower body/cardio
    Weekend: one cardio day, one rest day

that will give your body adequate rest time during your strength training. also, since you have a stabiltiy ball, i would try some plank holds: put your forearms on ball and hold a plank position until you can hold it for a minute. good stuff.

looks good! good luck!
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    It looks good! Looks something similar to what my brother and I used to do. I did it last summer and ran it through with no stopping in-between each exercise. I got good results.
    Good luck!
  • Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    More weight, less reps is the formula for more strength. I would increase the weight and knock the reps down to six- three sets. Also make sure you are getting enough protein. I thinks it's one gram of protein per on kilogram of body weight. (I'm 380 so mine is like 175 grams for ex.)
  • lanerichardson
    Options
    i only work out three days a week. i forgot to mention i do at least thirty minutes of cardio each day as well. I usually do other cardio exercises between those three workout like tennis or walking pulling a wagon with a thirty pound kid in it. Thanks for the comments
  • lanerichardson
    Options
    walt im doing more reps less weight just trying to cut the fat out of the muscles and get a better shape. i have the strength just not the defenition like i want. also im drinking two protein shakes a day. one with breakfast and one after my workouts.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Looks like you've got almost everything covered. I would add some dumbbell shrugs, but that's about it. You might want to vary your rep ranges every other workout (high reps/lower weight one day, lower reps/higher weight the next) to change things up a bit. I would also try to include squats and deadlifts instead of leg presses and hip raises, simply because they work more muscles (and burn more calories), but that's just my preference. If you like to strength train on consecuetive days, I would go for an upper body/ lower body split. Other than that, keep doing cardio to burn fat so you can show off those new muscles! Good luck!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    walt im doing more reps less weight just trying to cut the fat out of the muscles and get a better shape. i have the strength just not the defenition like i want. also im drinking two protein shakes a day. one with breakfast and one after my workouts.

More reps and less weight tend to work towards more endurance/tone. It does burn fat don't get me wrong its just at a slower pace but if you lift heavier and max out at 8 reps your will burn the fat faster and get the definition you seek.
  • neyes67
    neyes67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    What are your suggestions on a strength training routine. I want a full body workout currently I am doing
    Bench presses 4 sets of 10
    shoulder presses 4 sets of 10
    cable row 4 sets of 10
    lats cable pulldown 4 sets of 10
    triceps cable pulldown 4 sets of 10
    dumbell bicep cursl 4 sets of 10
    leg press 4 sets of ten
    hip abductions 4 sets of ten
    leg curls 4 sets of ten
    crunches 50
    hip raises on balance ball 50
    back extensions 4 sets of ten

any suggestions to additions or changes would be greatly appreciated or if im doing well enough as is.

I commend you because I dont even do this much, thanks for the knowledge I will start to incorprate some of these things. But like some of the others said, I would increase the weight and lower the weps but only by 3-4. Is it possible for you to go to the gym more that 3 times a week?
  • lanerichardson
    Options
    i usually only get three days to do strength training. if i go more than that i am usually just doing cardio to give my muscles some time to rest.