What will you do when the thrill is gone?

Options
It's an interesting question - one that was posed to me recently by someone who had noticed my recent weight loss. He had asked how I had managed to lose 95 lbs in a short 5 months. I gave a lot of credit to finding MFP, their easy tools and access, and the great network of friends who cheer you on when you are doing well, or give you support when you stumble. You feel accountable to this community of people you have never met, because you know your success helps spur others on. It becomes more than just about you.

"But", he asked, "what will happen once you reach your goal, and you no longer need to lose the weight? Will you continue to use MFP? And if not, how will you keep it off?

I had to think. I'm more than 50% to my goal right now, and the truth is, I've become addicted to this. I can't go more than 10 minutes without immediately logging my food or exercise. And as much as I have enjoyed the progress, I'm not sure I can spend the rest of my life doing this. My goal, I think, is to get to my target weight over the next 9 to 10 months, and then try to control my weight in a more "normal" fashion. The key will be to give myself a 5 lb "range", and keep within it.

But will I fall back? Is it only the rush of reaching a new low that's keeping me on track? What will happen if I don't have the daily support of the MFP community? Hopefully, by then, the scale will be my friend, and not my enemy. I can see myself weighing myself daily or weekly, and if I see the weight swing past my range, I know I have learned enough by then to get it back in check. When I reflect, it was my fear of the scale that got me here. Seeing 200 lbs the first time, made me not look again until I was 250. When I became 300, I stopped looking until I actually outgrew my scale at 330 lbs. My biggest mistake was not buying a bigger scale until I was 375 lbs. I just need to know that the day will come where I can casually keep an eye on my weight, and enjoy in the accomplishment of achieving my goal.....SSG

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight and I STILL used MFP. Tracking my food helps me to maintain my weight and keeps me in line moreso than making a 'guess' so I don't mind keepin on!!! I'm actually now 7 months pregnant and I'm still logging my food. It's helped to keep me accountable and I've gained less weight with this baby than I have with my 3 prior pregnancies. So I say - be addicted!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congrats on your results . . . you are amazing!
    The beauty of MFP is that is is teaching you how to eat every day. When I started I couldn't eat anything without rushing to log in to see how it would effect my daily totals. Im now much more confident in building my weekly meal plans, and being able to eat knowing that Im doing the right thing . . . cause I've been practicing for a long time.
    I made a promise to myself recently . . . once I get to my goal, in about 25 pounds from now . . . I will weight myself once per week and should I ever gain more than about 5 to 7 pounds I will immediately revert back to "weight loss" mode for a few weeks to bring it back down. NEVER again will I slip into denial about my health and allow myself to become unhealthy again.

I don't know about you . . . but I am not on a diet . . . it has actually taken me quite a while to lose my weight because Im changing my life, not my food but more like my attitude toward food.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal too and still keep logging in to check on friends and give advice if asked...now i focus on weight training theres never a time to stop weight training, thats what keeps us young and strong. Im not trying to lose weight like before but as we age we need to keep our muscles challenged..so I suggest you think about that after losing the weight you want:wink:
  • maryritt529
    Options
    I think keeping on MFP during maintenance would be a good idea. Keeps you accountable and also you can Pay It Forward to all the newbies ...give them encouragement , root them on etc. Great work so far SSG!! I am inspired by you and so many others on here :)
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success! I've read your posts before and you are a great inspiration to many including myself. I have asked myself about what I will do after I've reached my goals and I tend to stick with staying on to maintain for awhile, but mainly because of the wonderful ppl that have become friends and because I too am hooked on MFP. It's just loads of fun and the site is basically a part of my everyday life now. I guess we just have to wait and see how it goes, but I'm enjoying every minute of it!:wink:
  • terrijean04
    terrijean04 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    First off Congrats on your progress!!!!

I am exactly where you are talking about.... I've hit my goal been here for 4 months or so...been maintaining pretty well good days and bad days....I've had the same thoughts...how long do I really need to log everyday and my answer is and will probably be for me forever .... I have found that when I log faithfully and truthfully I am more likely to stay within my calories and am 100% more likely to exercise. I like the feeling of not only being accountable to myself but my MFP family. They help keep me in line. I'm always sooo good in the begining but somwhere along the way I always seem to lose track...This site has changed my whole outlook on food...exercise and life in general. I see people who have struggles much larger then my own and can and have succeeded.. I cannot let them down... :)
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    I think keeping on MFP during maintenance would be a good idea. Keeps you accountable and also you can Pay It Forward to all the newbies ...give them encouragement , root them on etc. Great work so far SSG!! I am inspired by you and so many others on here :)

I just think Pay it Forward is such a wonderful idea. There have been so many people who have inspired me, answered my questions, and kept me on track - people who have been on MFP for a long time even though they've reached their goals. I'll never be able to thank them all, but I CAN pass what I've learned on to the next newbies looking for support.