What about when you are sick?

Options
Do you just force those calories down the best you can?

I'm not talking stomach flu or food poisoning sick where vomiting is an issue, but other blah (colds, sore throats, or whatever random) sick day illnesses.

I feel yucky but I finally got within 100 calories of my daily guidelines. I made sure I more than passed my BMR, but it was a challenge. It took my getting up out of bed from naps and small meals.

(whiny voice) did I have to?? Are there special sick day exceptions?

Replies

• jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    Do you just force those calories down the best you can?

I'm not talking stomach flu or food poisoning sick where vomiting is an issue, but other blah (colds, sore throats, or whatever random) sick day illnesses.

I feel yucky but I finally got within 100 calories of my daily guidelines. I made sure I more than passed my BMR, but it was a challenge. It took my getting up out of bed from naps and small meals.

(whiny voice) did I have to?? Are there special sick day exceptions?
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, when I have been sick, I just ate what my stomach could tolerate. Which was Lite and Fit soup, low in fat and sodium. Maybe a peice of toast, or crackers. I didn't worry about calories, was to sick to deal with it. Drink plenty of fluids, I think there are some smoothie recipes on here that could add some extra calories without all the food you can't eat with a sore throat. Hope you feel better soon. Best wishes......Karen
  • natalie1
    natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If I am sick- I never eat ! I drink lots and lots of water and some chicken broth. I've read it years ago, that you need water to flash toxins out of your body but you should not be eating anything for at least 24 hrs. When you sick- those ill cells are the first ones to be destroyed by your immune system as long as your immune system is not buisy cleaning something else (like pesticides from your fruits or antibioticks from your meats).
    I have 2 little kids (4 and 5 y old)and when they sick I don't offer them any food unless THEY ask for it. But I always make sure they have plenty of fluids (and NOT dairy)
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    That's what I should have done. I felt worse after I ate. But I wanted to stick with the program.

Thanks for the replies.
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I really don't eat when I am sick. I just try to stay hydrated (water, diet soda, juice, iced tea). I only eat if I really want something and can tolerate it.