self sabotaging newby

Options
:grumble: In the past year I have lost 24 lbs. but have done horrible lately. I have recently discovered peertrainer and PoNR and have learned alot. I will lose 6-10 lbs. and then blow it and gain back all of it. I figured I need to be accountable and that is how I ended up here! Between the two hopefully I can quit the yo-yo! Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    We're here for ya :)
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Welcome! It sounds motivation what it sounds like you need! That's the hardest part of it all. Don't be afraid to add myself and others for support!
  • jorymom
    jorymom Posts: 2
    Options
    I dont have any great nuggets of advice but I know how you feel. Every summer since having my kids I have lost weight (from 15-30 lbs) and every winter i gain some back. So here I am again. trying to lose the 15 last I put on this year. :huh: I need to find balance between my healthy summer life and unhealthy winter life so I dont have to do this every year.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Well, the good thing is that you're aware that you alone are accountable for your actions. Is there any particular trigger or reason behind why you feel that you "blow it and gain back all of it"? I ask because there are some who are afraid that losing so much weight might change who they are, as a person, as they've grown accustomed to being a certain size and associate it with their personalities. Others feel that they knew they can do it and so feel that there's no problem with going right back to where they were before because they feel they can do it again. So, assessing exactly what makes you reverse engineer the work put into weight loss may help you commit to self-perseverance rather than self-sabotage.
  • TCrawford70
    TCrawford70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Never really looked at it that way! I guess it's something to think about! Thanks.
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    try not to label yourself......its a life style chaange, its for a better healthier you. We are blessed to get a new day everyday. You have a choice how to start your day....unhappy, unhealthy or happy and healthy. some days are tuff but you gotta push on through it and perserver to get it. You can do it... I ve lost 60 lbs in 1 year and I am plauteuing (mis -spelled sorry) still got to get 50 more this year. Glad its spring to get out and play, exercise, smell the flowers.
  • TCrawford70
    TCrawford70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Winter is really hard for me also. I feel like hybernating because I hate the cold. (NO excuse I know.:bigsmile: )
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Winter is really hard for me also. I feel like hybernating because I hate the cold. (NO excuse I know.:bigsmile: )

It's natural for the body to not want to perform activity in extreme weather conditions. As a consolation, the best way to counter the cold is to produce body heat by doing cardio :happy: It just begins to suck when you get cold right after working out, but a warm shower shortly after working out can relieve the muscles, relax you, and warm you up simultaneously.
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    winter has been tuff for me also.....BUT its spring now so get out and enjoy!
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    do a non food reward....new outfit or pedicure, summer is coming after all
    or take one food you love and find a way to keep loving it but a healthier version of it
    sometimes we reward ourselves with food especially when we have denied it for so long and then we over indulge and then keep going.

The spin instructor at the gym says if like crunch like I do...do it healthy with a few Fritos with my lunch since it has simple pronouncable ingredients.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Ugh I hate working out in the winter! -20 (with windchill, but still cold) just makes me not want to do anything ever. I have the same problem as you it seems, I keep losing/gaining the same few lbs over and over again. Personally I know its the processed crap that gets me and looking at my food diary sometimes its hard to realize (if you just eat without noting) how many calories are really wasted on crap food with no nutritional value. Anyway, I'm new here myself but welcome and I hope this site works well for you like it seems to have for so many others.