Can someone look at my food diary?

Options
I want a snack. I want a granola bar but it has 7g of sugar and I already went over sugar, but I don't know about the whole natural sugar vs added sugar thing. Does it look safe to have the granola bar? Or what else could I snack on without sugar?

Replies

• MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Do you have some popcorn? That's what I would probably choose.
  • Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You had a slice of cheese for a snack?? Erm... how was it?
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I would try to stay away from honey. Its basically all sugar. Also, try choosing a cereal that doesn't have so much sugar. I wouldn't really go for the granola bar unless you know that its going to fill you. I think that if you don't have it, you may end up eating other non sugary things with higher calories
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    fresh veggies have almost no sugar in them. Most fruits have natural sugar in them...if you're hungry and you're below 1200 calories then you need to eat and better to eat a healthy snack than junk food. Just pick something that is healthy and I wouldn't worry about the sugar in it for today. Tomorrow is a new day to try and stay below in your sugar.
  • Julesfame
    Julesfame Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Eat some almonds.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Honestly, after looking back at just a few of the past days in your diary, I don't think you're eating enough.
  • LadyT02182011
    Options
    Try snacking on protein to keep you satisfied longer.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    If it were me, i'd have the granola bar. Your sugar souces appear to be mostly natural, so a little processed sugar won't hurt.

I think that number is too low anyways.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Sure you have room!

You have eaten "16" unnatural sugars technically today, and your daily allotment of 35-16=19 grams of sugar left. Enjoy your granola bar! :smile:
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Honestly, after looking back at just a few of the past days in your diary, I don't think you're eating enough.
    I'd have to agree with you.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I find that a few carrot sticks and a few toasted unsalted almonds (about four each) and a big ol glass of water really hits the spot! Give it a try!
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree with you.

Ditto :/
  • maureenB7
    maureenB7 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was told that natural sugar in fruit or milk doesn't "count" the way added sugar does. I have started "snacking" on greek yogurt, it is sweet and has lots of protein. My favorite is Chobani cherry. Good Luck!
  • LadyT02182011
    Options
    It doesn't appear that you're eating enough calories either. You're putting your body into starvation mode and you're only craving sweets. Try to aim for at least 1200 calories per day and add more veggies and protein to your diet. If you like chocolate, the Emerald Cocoa Roasted Almonds are an excellent source of protein, fiber and also takes care of your sweet tooth without all the extra sugar.
  • misslyssx
    misslyssx Posts: 87
    Options
    Unfortunately I can't have nuts :( Yeah I guess I'm not eating enough, now I feel a little embarassed. I just don't know what to add that would be healthy.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Overall you seem to eat reasonably healthy and well except you don't always eat enough calories to sustain basic bodily functions like breathing, digestion, elimination, circulation, heart beat, etc. Try to aim for 1,200 calories every day.

That said, in looking over a weeks worth of eating I see the following improvements you could make for future:

* of all the cereals you eat, Cheerios have the least amount of sugar so I'd stick with them. You could eat 3/4 cup of Cheerios and add 2 tablespoons of your favorite Kashi if you like.

* I'd replace your 1% milk with 2% milk as 2% has less sugar and more fat which will sustain you longer between meals.

* instead of honey, why not try unsweetened fresh fruit sauce on your waffles and pancakes? again, less sugar over all.

* maybe add boiled eggs to your breakfast or snacks. eggs have no sugar, are high in protein, and if you only eat egg whites have no fat.

* raw nuts and seeds are rich in the good fats, are loaded with copper, zinc, calcium and B vitamins as well as fiber (sorry, just noticed you note about not being able to eat these - please ignore this part).

For now I'd eat a cup of egg whites and try to get a little more exercise in to bring your over all sugar levels down.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    oh my...

go have a cheeseburger or something. 9g of fat? Fat is not the enemy. Seriously, go have a 4oz patty with some cheese on it! Go eat some meat and cheese or something, dear goodness.

Don't be afraid to eat @ 1,200 or a little over. You look fine as you are now, and I see ZERO reason you are trying to starve yourself into losing more!

Go enjoy some non-cereal food. Secret: fats don't make you fat

EDIT: eat the ENTIRE can of tuna, not half. Better yet, go get canned salmon and eat 2 cans of that.
  • misslyssx
    Options
    Honestly I'm not trying to starve myself or even lose weight primarily. I really just want to eat healthy because I used to eat huge bowls of ice cream with chocolate syrup and milk pured on it every day, and then I would eat cereal for snacks. This is all new to me so I guess I'm just having a little trouble. Thanks for all the tips everyone.
  • misslyssx
    Options
    I don't try to restrict fats, in fact, I barely paid attention to fat at all. I only ate half the can of tuna because I put it on a sandwich and the whole thing wouldnt fit I'm having the other have for lunch tomorrow as well. I'm really not trying to starve myself. This is just difficult and new to me.
  • NobodyKnows
    NobodyKnows Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I really don't have anything to add except that I have a spare bedroom you are welcome to. You could put a mural on the wall and help me write my autobiography.

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: