which calorie count is correct

trisha_moore32
trisha_moore32 Posts: 3
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello Everyone!

I have a burning question is regards to the calories you burn when you workout. I typically do interval training for about an hour 5-6 times a week. Everytime I work out the calorie counts are different between what the machine that I am working out on and the calorie count that is logged in on this website. Because my body is getting used to the interval training very quickly I have to constantly make it harder (for example usually less than 3 days I have to up the resistance to make my body feel uncomfortable). I have been trying to find the correct one to go by...should I be going by what the machine says or what the website says? Which one is more accurate?

In case you need more info about my workouts to answer the question I do 35 min of walk/run on a level 5 incline on the treadmill. I do every other minute walk for 3.0 and then run @ 4.5 mph (both on the level 5 incline) Level 5 is the half way point that the machine will incline to (up t0 10 is max)..Then after that I do an interval training program on the eliptcal for 25 minutes that is on the highest setting (level 10). I was told you don't need to work out longer than an hour with interval training to boost your metabolism and loose weight.

Ave. calorie burned on treadmill is 450 and for the eliptical is about 325 a totall of 775 But the calories for the training on the website says I am buring 919 an hour.

Replies

• TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    I tend to go by what the machine says, especially if you've programmed your weight into it. It will have far more information about the variables of your individual workout than a broad figure on a website.
  • Thanks for your help I am going to start tracking it that way now
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Go with the machine over the website. However, the BEST way is to get a heart rate monitor. They don't have to be expensive (sometimes you can find them second hand, too!). For $50 (low end model) you can get a monitor that'll tell you EXACTLY how many calories you've burnt! Look into it! Try walmart, ebay, craigslist, etc! :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.