How to count calories with a HRM

Options
So I just got home from work. On Sundays my work involved being on my feet all day and walking around a bit - I'm an event manager or sorts...anyway, I bought a HRM (timex - which I like a lot). So my question is, how do I count the calories burned during this non-traditional exercise acitivity? Here are the stats:

7.5 hours
Ave HR: 96
Peak HR: 139
Min HR: 66
Total Cal: 2684

this HRM takes into account my wieght and I have my maximum HR programed in to determine various workout zones.

Specifically, do I need to subtract what my "normal" cals would be? Some experience and explination of why would be very helpful. I don't feel I need to account for every single calorie burned but want to keep in close proximity so I can be sure I'm staying within a healthy amount consumed and expended.

Replies

• kalia87
    kalia87 Posts: 30
    Options
    I have the same monitor and I always think it tells me that it burns was more than what I actually burn. soooo bump
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This is a question that has plagued me at various times - though I have yet to take the time to actually look into what the manufacturers of the HRM's say about that...and to add to that, does MFP take into account one's 'baseline' calorie burn when computing calories burned?

Also, fmktjod - I love the disclaimer! ^_^
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I had a Timex and always ended up with a count about three times higher than I actually burned. It didn't take into account my height, gender or age so it didn't give me an accurate count. I bought a Polar ft60 and haven't looked back. :) As for how many calories you should consume to offset the calories burned I would just add 200 calories into your daily allotment and call it good. That's what I used to do on busy days where I was on my feet all day but not getting a consistent increase in heart rate. If you are set to eat 1500-1600 calories you'll probably be fine adding 100 calories but it you are set at a allotment of only 1200 or 1300 then I would eat an extra 200.
  • fmktjod
    fmktjod Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts and feedback husker_gal - glad you like the Polar :0). I find the timex I have (with chest strap) to be right on with the heart rate measurment when cross referenced with my work on the eliptical but has higher calorie counts than the machine. Just got it Friday so I'm still figuring out if I like it or not.

How did you figure out yours was off?
  • fmktjod
    Options
    ;) thanks mangorabbit! Just like to be clear - there seems to be so much advice giving rather than experience sharing. I prefer to stick with sharing.

Cheers,

Jodi
  • fmktjod
    Options
    I'm bumping this post I wrote over the weekend in hopes someone will have additional experience or information...