Drug Dealers & Donut Pushers!

Options
Today my husband and I went into the supermarket to grab a few things. As we went strolling through the bakery I was careful to keep my focus on quickly making it to the back of the store without being distracted by all the yummy cakes, cookies, and confections. I was extra careful not to get within 6 feet of the display counter. If I don't look at the goodies then I won't be tempted to buy them, right? Wrong!

Out of no where calls a far off voice to me. "Hey, I just marked these donuts down to $1.25" calls a portly little woman from behind the counter. "You get a half dozen and I just pulled them out of the case so they're still fresh. The filled ones have raspberry and lemon in them." I looked over my shoulder to see if she was talking to someone else. After all I never even glanced at the counter, much less look her way prior to her call for action. Ok, I realize she talking to me. "They look really good," I say, "but I'm sort of on a diet." Then I quickly think how proud of myself I am for resisting. "It's OK," she tells me. "Tomorrow's Monday, you can start over then." WTF? This is Sabatoge!

After we escaped and made it to safety in the dairy section, I couldn't help but look at my husband and ask him if that oddly felt like a drug deal gone bad. How did that woman get into my head? She could read my thoughts screaming out for a chocolate fix. Maybe she could smell my fear as I struggled to stay on track with my calories today. The world is scary place for us recovering food addicts. I've never met up with a real drug dealer before but today I met up with my first "food pusher". Apparently you're not safe anywhere. Especially the supermarket!

Replies

• believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    LOL! That's funny - but good for you! I'm not sure if I could've held my ground. I'm a sucker for anything baked. When I go to the grocery store, I have to make a HUGE detour around that section or else I get tempted and my willpower sucks. :frown: (I wish I could buy some of THAT!)
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Lol it seems like that demon saw you coming. I work in a call center and they are doing a raffle $1 buys a ticket and a plastic eater egg filled with candy. I'm so fortunate I forgot to bring cash to work Friday, tomorrow managers will be wandering again, plastic eggs filled with sugary evil, I want the grill they're raffling, I'll give the candy to the girls that work near me and I'll become the pusher.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    hahahah!!--so funny and sad at the same time! You're so right about her sounding like a drug dealer--I mean if she were selling wine and you said you were a recovering alcoholic would she have given you the same line???
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    I've had so many diets sabotaged by friends telling me that I "look great and deserve a donut/slice of cake/pie". I tell them I can't and they try to convince me. I've never really understood it. This time around I'm just not telling people. Next time you should just tell the woman you're diabetic. (Although the diabetic I know tells me people try to push candy on him too).
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    I've never met up with a real drug dealer before but today I met up with my first "food pusher".

Good story to share! :laugh:

I have had the same experience at the grocery store as you, except in my experience, it's always someone SKINNY selling the donuts! I can't be resentful though, I love food and I am my own worst 'food pusher' unfortunately. :embarassed: