Lentil - Pecan - Sunflower Veggie Burger

Options
broadsword7
broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
With my newly acquired desire to try to eat better and prepare as much of my own food as I can, I went out last week and bought a food processor. Today I made my first item with it, a veggie burger. Well, not totally veggie, since I used three eggs. They actually came out pretty good though. I searched around the internet for different veggie burger recipes and didn't really find one in particular I wanted to try, but what I did see gave me some ideas so I sort of went with it. Here is what I used:

1 cup dry lentils (before they were cooked)
1 medium onion chopped
1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup toasted unsalted sunflower seeds, chopped
1/4 cup chopped carrots
1/4 cup long grain brown rice, cooked
1 tablespoonful of minced garlic
1 teaspoonful of basil
1/2 teaspoonful of thyme
3 whole brown eggs
3 tablespoonfuls of olive oil

To prepare, I did the following steps:

1. Soak lentils overnight, drain soak water, then cook them in five cups of water.
2. Drain any leftover water from cooked lentils.
3. Chop onion, pecans, sunflower seeds, carrots, brown rice and minced garlic in food processor. (I did each individually and tossed in large mixing bowl after chopping.)
4. Chop lentils in food processor with thyme and basil.
5. In large mixing bowl, add bread crumbs, eggs and olive oil to all chopped items and mix by hand.
6. Form into patties by hand and place on wax paper sheet. (I made ten nice sized patties.)
7. In skillet with canola oil spray and a little bit of olive oil, over low to medium heat, braise patties. (I did about seven minutes on each side.)
8. When done, pile on a plate to serve and enjoy. (I placed a few in a freezer container to re-heat later.)

I don't have any idea yet on how to figure all the nutritional info, but for myself, I added up individual counts on everything I put in, then divided by ten since I made ten patties, at least for the calories. I enjoyed the flavor and texture though and hope some of you find this recipe helpful.

Replies

• ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You can do this in the recipes section here on MFP. Thanks for the great recipe - I am definitely going to try it!
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    sounds awesome! i am in love with veggie burgers :)
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    sounds awesome! i am in love with veggie burgers :)

I am too and was starting to get frustrated with many if not most of the prepackaged frozen ones (and all the chemical substances they put in them with names that are hard to pronounce), so I thought I would give it a shot. Happy to say they came out ok!