Heel Pain

Options
Hi Everyone!

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before... I have had this terrible pain in my heel (by looking online it sounds exactly like achilles tendonitis) but I've had it for a week now, I've tried heat and ice and it is just awful! If I sit for even an hour I'm limping when I get up. I usually go to the gym 3-4 times a week and this has kept me away from the gym for over a week now. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks so much!

Mandey

Replies

• slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you've been doing, if you think it's the achilles. It could be plantar fasciitis - gives heel pain as well.

Stretching on a step will help the pain, whether it's achilles or the PF I mention above. Stand on the step on the balls of your feet. Slowly lower your heel down below the step, then return to the level of the step.

Check your footwear. You might need better shoes or custom orthotics to deal with this. Also, I recommend you see a podiatrist instead of buying over the counter heel or arch supports. If you have insurance, it will pay for custom orthotics if the doctor thinks you need them.
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Have you been stretching after you workouts? I know when you don't stretch enough you can have pain in your achilles tendon. Try stretching and massaging your calves--but you may need to see a dr.
  • sweetbri07
    sweetbri07 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I recommend checking out massage therapy (no, not the relaxation kind) but the treatment kind. They can help out extremely with things like achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis.

But I'd get it checked out by your doctor first, to see what they say. Make sure you are stretching well, and no heat. Just ice.
  • krisw22
    krisw22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with this for almost a year. I have Plantar Fascitis. REST! It stinks when you want to be active but that has helped. I also purchased a night brace from CVS and that helps. I have had cortisone shots, x-rays, orthodics. It is finally getting better. I am now trying acupuncture. Wish I would have started there.

Also, put a water bottle in the freezer and massage your foot on it everynight.

Good luck!
  • Kelnurse
    Kelnurse Posts: 145
    Options
    Hi Mandey,

I have the same issues with my heel(s). Eventually I should go to a podiatrist, but I have been using the Dr. Scholls custom fit orthotics ($50) that u can find in the stores. They help me get through my 12 hrs shifts at work, although I still have slight pain when I work a few days in a row. My family doc said it sounds like plantar fascitis and gave me a prescription for pain meds but I know this problem will always be an issue for me :( I recommend doing yoga and stretching on a regular basis. Thats been helping me. I know exactly what u mean when u say u limp around after sitting for awhile. I feel like an old lady when I get out of bed and take those first few steps haha.