I'm afraid to weigh myself

Options
As the topic of this thread suggests, I have yet to actually take an initial weigh in. I put down around what I thought was my weight, but then though it might be less that that, so I changed it. Now my ticker says I lost 25 pounds, but I haven't. For all I know I am 25 pounds heavier than my initial weight.

I'm just afraid to know what I actually am. I know I'm overweight. According to the BMI, I'm obese. I know that. But to know that I am a number, a huge, ugly, fat number? I already have little to no self esteem, I don't want to crush it completely. According to my height, I should be around 165 pounds. So I guess that is my goal weight. But what if my actual weight is 265? That would be 100 pounds that I would have to lose. I'm scared. I'm terrified.

I don't want my weight to be daunting to me. I can see myself getting overwhelmed and giving up because I can't possibly see myself reaching that end goal.

Is anyone else having these feelings? Did anyone go through this? Should I just weigh myself and get it over with? Help and encouragement would be lovely.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I think I can understand, but wouldn't it be better to know the reality so you know if you are being successful in what you are doing? Not that the scale is a great way to measure your progress, but it is one of them. Measure yourself, weigh yourself and then you can rejoice in your progress be it less inches or less pounds. Fear is a very unhelpful thing to give into, especially fear of something that in and of itself can't hurt you physically, but could help as you lose weight.
  • emilex
    emilex Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't tell you what to do :) But for me, when I don't weigh myself....it's easier to convince my self that things are better than they really are. So in order for me to know what I am dealing with...and to be realistic...I need to weigh myself. But things might be different for you. Can I ask how you know your BMI if you don't know your weight? Honestly, I think if you just face your fear and weigh yourself...then you won't have that on your plate taunting you anymore. You will have done it and then all you can do is move forward. So I think you should just do it! Good luck!
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Then you know exactly what you weigh. You may even end up being happily surprised. Once you initially do it and get it over with then you can see exactly what you have to work with. This may help you set different goals too. Don't be afraid. It is what it is.
  • ksv123
    ksv123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Just take the plunge! You will then have a starting point and can rejoice in the great strides that you are making. Facing this fear will be the first step to conquering your weight issues......
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    To tell you the truth, it happened to me too. I was so afraid to find out how much I weighed. It might not have been to bad but I was still scared, it was just one of those fears I had to conquer! Because if you find out your current weight, you'll feel so much better when you can see it shedding off. You feel like your hard work is paying off!
    and MFP works a lot better if you have the accurate info(:
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Maybe just take your measurements and measure your successes that way? By inches lost.

Also, I know my friend lost weight by having her mom look at the scale (so the friend never knew her own weight) and her mom would just tell her how many pounds she had lost each week.
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was scared too, but the only way I could improve me was to see the first number - which incidentally was worse than I thought it was going to be! - and then go from there.

I've only made small losses so far, but its in the right direction, and I could be stricter on my self, but this is my journey. The best thing is, I measured myself too, and the difference there is the real boost.

You can do it!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You're here because you are unhappy with your current weight and looking to make a change. If you don't weigh yourself to start off with, you will have no baseline of where to start measuring yourself from. The people here come in all shapes and sizes. Some of us came here with only a few pounds to lose, others with hundreds. Whatever the number, it is doable. You will eventually get to your goal if you work hard and stay committed.

So the best thing for you to do is to clear the numbers that you originally put in, and then enter your new number fresh (so it doesn't effect your ticker). If it's higher than you thought, don't get discouraged. Just think about how awesome it will be to know you lost THAT much weight when you get to your goal. We are all here to support you and help you along the away. You are not alone.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I think we've all been there -- afraid to step on the scale for fear of what it might tell us.

The "o" word is tough to hear -- I have been there. I remember the day when I first heard my Wii Fit cheerfully say, "That's Obese!" ACK! I didn't feel obese.

Then I remember the victory when I could consider myself "simply fat." I actually cheered.

Think about it this way -- that number is ONLY the beginning, and you will probably NEVER see that number again! I have resolved NEVER to see 209 again (or be in the 200's for that matter!) Once you know where you're starting from, you will know what your progress is!

Keep up with MFP -- we are all in this together.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a scale when I start MFP and finally decided to get one. I was about 10 pounds heavier than i thought, but now I'm below that and know what I have accomplished. Its daunting, but maybe it can motivate rather than discourage you? Wishing you luck!
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I understand that confronting it is hard, I've felt the same way. What I've found for myself, is the only way I'll take ownership of my weight and my decisions is if I hold myself accountable. For me, that's weighing in daily. I am one of those people who weighs myself every day. If I don't, I don't feel the obligation to make the changes, and feel like I can avoid the reality of my consequences. I've been scared to step on before, but then I'll realize that my weight is a result of my decisions, and I can also make decisions to decrease that weight. Another thing I've found for myself, is that confronting it takes some of it's power away. I try to make myself more powerful than the scale.

I find it motivational to know my weight, so I can see the improvements. My suggestion would be, if you really aren't ready, then wait awhile. Once you are ready, set little goals for yourself so it isn't too overwhelming. Like for myself, I want to lose at least 50 pounds. That sounds so overwhelming and impossible to me. So I set little goals, like I want to be under 220, then my next goal is 212, then 199, etc.

Whatever your decisions, remember to stay positive. Giving up will not produce the results you desire for yourself. You get to choose the positive decisions for your life!
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you have 100 lbs to lose that is about 2 lbs a week for less then a year. It took a lot more than a year to put on that weight so in reality you don't have that far to go! After you lose the first few pounds you'll be so motivated it will keep you going. Use your loss as a motivator to keep going. You can do it! :)
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Look at it this way, you already know that you are overweight, so the number on the scale won't tell you anything that you don't know. Personally I haven't really set a goal weight, I put in a number that is about what I want to weigh, but I don't really worry about that number. I am changing my lifestyle to be healthier and more active I will be doing this for the rest of my life either way. Yes it's good to know your starting weight, but try not to focus on how much you need to lose, just focus on getting healthier. I weighed myself at the beginning and about a week in and haven't weighed myself in months. I've lost inches and am wearing a size smaller pants so, I know I am losing and I am getting more muscle tone, I just don't let myself focus on numbers.
  • sgiacherio
    Options
    I'm conflicted on what to tell you. My first instinct is to tell you that you are too worried about the numbers. Don't focus on them so much. Just take care of yourself and start watching calories and portion sizes, and squeeze in any activity you can. Soon you will see differences in the way your clothes fit, the energy you have, and the way you feel.

But then I think this program can really help you. By knowing your true weight, it can tell you accurately how many calories you need to be eating every day. You do NOT want to starve or deprive yourself. If you do you will set yourself up for failure.

You are the only one who can make these decisions but hopefully I am giving you some things to think about. Be strong and know that you have the power to change your life. MFP is a GREAT support system. Take a look around and make friends with people. They will cheer you on and encourage you every day.

Also, try talking to your doctor. Maybe he or she can give you an idea on how many calories to eat every day right now.
    Best of luck!!! You CAN do this!!
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! This is where I was with taking my measurements. But I can tell you, I really wish I had taking my initial measurements so I could see how much I have improved and I'm mad at myself for not taking them! I think you should weigh yourself so you can start to measure how awesome you are doing!
  • rklein88
    rklein88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would say weigh yourself, but do not allow that number to hurt you...just think about how big the number you lost will be when you reach your goal. Just by starting this journey, you are a stronger person. and for me, watching that number just keep falling makes me SO happy.

If you choose not to weigh, just choose a few sites (waist, hips, arms, thighs, calf, neck) and measure them every few weeks or once a month. These numbers can also be very motivating, and i wish i would've taken initial measurements!
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    I feel scared to get on the scale too, scared I'll have gained weight, didn't lose any or that I've already failed. Eventually you just need to step on the scale, numbers can't rule your life.
  • ehlertmartha
    Options
    I have been in your situation before scared to look at the number for fear what it might be. The number on the scale is just a number. I get scared a little when i get on now but the way i look at it now is at least i am looking at that number and taking control i am not going to let that number get to me i am going to get to it first
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    YES - you should weigh yourself and get it over with. HAVING SAID THAT....I totally understand what you are going through. I used to be totally phobic of the scales. Still don't like the scales at all. But I know that in order to take control of my weight, I HAVE to have a measure. That measure for me is weight, not inches.

Maybe it will make you feel better if you think of it this way...This is YOUR body. Whether you are 165 or 265, ONLY YOU are accountable for that. just because you know what you weigh, it doesn't mean you have to share that weight with anyone until you are ready. ALSO, if you weigh 165, 265, or 365, you are still wearing the same jeans at the end of the day. If you want to fit in a smaller pair of jeans, you are going to have to get a handle on your fear of knowledge. Knowledge is power. You have ALL the power. Take that power and make yourself whoever you want to be. Hugs and greatest of luck to you!
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    i started out at 256.... YIKES...

I'm now at 186.

You can do it. I have faith in you.