Cauliflower

Options
ladybg81
ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
I tried making skinny taste's cauliflower puree. It turned out OK. DH ate it. I just felt like it needed to be creamier. I used frozen cauliflower. Would fresh make a difference. Part of my problem I know is that I H-A-T-E cauliflower. Is there anything I can do to hide the flavor? I made them like garlic mashed potatoes but they certainly did NOT taste like garlic mashed potatoes. Should I just give up?

Replies

• crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You could mix them half and half with mashed potatoes. That will hide the taste quite a lot. There's a restaurant near me that has the most delicious wisconsin cauliflower soup and I found a recipe for it. It's SO DELICIOUS! I crave it on a regular basis. Here's the link. http://peachtreecooking.blogspot.com/2010/01/zupas-wisconsin-cauliflower-soup.html
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Good idea on the potato thing. Did not think of that. I have not bought potatoes in ages!! I'll have to get some and try it.
  • Aintplayin
    Aintplayin Posts: 102
    Options
    Don't give up. It may just be an acquired taste. I know there have been foods I hated but I kept trying them and now I love green beans. Keep experimenting and you'll find something that works.

I think like someone else mentioned, mixing them with potatoes at first and then just wean yourself off the potatoes by reducing the amount you put in with your cauliflower.
  • Aintplayin
    Aintplayin Posts: 102
    Options
    You could mix them half and half with mashed potatoes. That will hide the taste quite a lot. There's a restaurant near me that has the most delicious wisconsin cauliflower soup and I found a recipe for it. It's SO DELICIOUS! I crave it on a regular basis. Here's the link. http://peachtreecooking.blogspot.com/2010/01/zupas-wisconsin-cauliflower-soup.html

I saved this recipe. Sounds great. Gonna try it soon.
  • loro1971
    loro1971 Posts: 135
    Options
    i hate cauliflower but the husband likes it.... today i made cucumber(chopped up),cherry tomatoes(cut in half) cut up fresh cauliflower and broccoli,diced red onion,diced celery and fat free sweet vinegar and olive oil salad dressing...and made a biiiig container of it.... we had grilled salmon burgers on wheat and the salad on the side... tomorrow we both will have that salad for lunch. its great to have on hand if you are hungry.. its already ready for you.i also saute cauliflower in olive oil and garlic and toss with wheat pasta(sometimes hot turkey sausage too)...... hope this helps!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    i hate cauliflower but the husband likes it.... today i made cucumber(chopped up),cherry tomatoes(cut in half) cut up fresh cauliflower and broccoli,diced red onion,diced celery and fat free sweet vinegar and olive oil salad dressing...and made a biiiig container of it.... we had grilled salmon burgers on wheat and the salad on the side... tomorrow we both will have that salad for lunch. its great to have on hand if you are hungry.. its already ready for you.i also saute cauliflower in olive oil and garlic and toss with wheat pasta(sometimes hot turkey sausage too)...... hope this helps!

This sounds really good!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    How did you make the "mashed potatoes"? When I tried them the first time, I thought they tasted like mashed cauliflower, which I didn't mind.

The second time I tried the recipe, I added 2 tablespoons of Philadelphia light cream cheese (I saved some fat calories for that!) It made them taste so much better -- like a baked potato with sour cream! I have heard that others combine cottage cheese with them, too.

If you're still trying to sneak cauliflower in, you might want to check out the Cauliflower pizza crust. It really doesn't taste like cauliflower at all!
  • traceyann1214
    traceyann1214 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been making mashed cauliflower for awhile and just started putting potatoes in with it recently.

2 idaho potatoes
    1 head of cauliflower
    1/4 cup milk
    3 T light sour cream
    1 T light butter

I boiled the potatoes and cauliflower together. Drained and then mashed. Added milk, butter, sour cream and continued mashing. Sometimes I put 1/4 cup of cheese in (mozz, cheddar, provel, whatever I have in the fridge). I got 4 or 5 decent sized servings out of this, with cheese for around 140 calories and it was so much better with the potatoes in it!!