Easter Egg PSA from the Easter Bunny

Options
labgirl3
labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
Don't forget - if you're planning on dying eggs for the E.B. to hide on Easter morning, you might want to get them now! The white ones sell out as you get close to Easter (at least at my local store), and older eggs much easier than the ones fresh from the store (or chicken).

If you are hard-boiled challenged, try these tips:

1) Use a safety pin or a thumbtack (clean of course!) to poke a hole in the fat end of the egg. This allows room for expansion, so you don't wind up with cracked shells. Especially important for Easter eggs!

2) Put eggs in large pot, cover with cold water, and heat to a boil. Once the water reaches a full boil, take the pot off the heat, cover with a lid, and set the timer for 10 minutes.

3) After 10 minutes are up, take all the eggs out of the pot and place them into a bowl filled with ice water. This will stop the cooking, so you don't wind up with the stinky green ring around the yolks.

(Optional: if you've never used this method and are skeptical, take out one egg, run under cold water a few seconds (just so you can peel it), peel and makes sure the yolk is the way that you like it. The other eggs will be cooking for an extra minute or so, but that's ok. If the yolks aren't completely done (and you want them that way), leave them in the hot water an extra 2 minutes.)

Oh - and eat those yolks! They are full of Vitamins A & E, calcium, iron, folate, choline (which reduces inflammation) and B6. An entire egg only has around 70 calories - so eat up!

Replies

• Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Cute. Thanks for sharing.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this. Many times I have wanted a hard boiled egg and tried an internet search only to find instructions as, "boil the egg". I had no idea what more to do than that. Not sure about how to poke a hole though, they have tough shells!
  • springstorm
    Options
    If you're even more challenged like me, they sell these nifty little egg timers that you stick in the pot with the eggs. It's just a piece of rubber shaped like an egg that turns purple when the egg is fully cooked. :)
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    it's the peeling that really irks me... the inner skin sometimes sticks and then you end up peeling away too much egg white... arg, so frustrating.:explode:
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    it's the peeling that really irks me... the inner skin sometimes sticks and then you end up peeling away too much egg white... arg, so frustrating.:explode:

Fresh eggs are harder to peel than older eggs. If you boil your eggs close to the expiration date (which, incidentally, is WAY sooner than they'll actually expire if you refrigerate them - the exp. date is for eggs that are not refrigerated) they will peel very easily.
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I've found that adding salt to the water helps it not stick later.
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I love hard boiled eggs and usually have one every day.
    My kids STILL like to dye Easter eggs !!!

It's FUN

Thanks for the post!
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Your eggs are too fresh! Buy eggs, stick in the fridge for 2-3 weeks, then try it. It works every time. I usually buy one carton for scrambled or fried eggs, and another for hard boiling later on.

I'm not sure if salt works or not - older eggs always works for me, 100% of the time, so I've never tried any other trick.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    You can also have fun dying cracked eggs- after they are boiled and cooled, crack the shell and then dye (natural veggi or food coloring dyes, please). (The kids love to dye but we usually get more than will be eaten). Then open them up and some of the dye will have seeped in and made a marbled look on the whites. They are really pretty for deviled eggs! and add a splash of color to salads, etc.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

I saw a great trick on TV for peeling eggs.
    Crack them, then slide a teaspoon under the cracked shell. Move the teaspoon around and it takes off the shell.
    Hard to describe, easy to do!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I've added the salt, done the baking soda, and the spoon. cracked the top, cracked the bottom....Never occured that the eggs are too fresh :huh: