Zig Zagging Calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I do this... not as part of any type of program, just in general. It works fine for me and is a lot easier, actually, than making sure I'm at a particular calorie count every day of the week. I just make sure that my weekly average equals out to my "daily calorie goal." So some days I'm a couple hundred over, some days I'm a couple hundred under. Doesn't really matter which days are which, as long as that weekly average comes out right.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tlaker
    tlaker Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump
  • morningmom
    morningmom Posts: 100
    Options
    bump
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I usually eat more on the weekends - does that count as zigzagging? lol. Because last week when I drastically ate more on the weekend by my mid-week weigh-in I lost 2 lbs!

I do the same thing and I think it counts as zigzagging. Sometimes I don't show any loss the entire week, but after eating more on Saturday and Sunday, I show a loss by Monday. Very interesting but I love that I can relax a bit over the weekend.

Edited to correct spelling
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    This site seems to set calories extremely high. It's telling me for fat loss I need 2480 calories a day whereas the diary on mfp is telling me I only need 1800. What gives??

I've been eating about 1400-1600 a day and I'm on a plateau :(

Did it say that for your highest calories during one day in the week? Or was that your highest? MFP gives you your minimum, I believe. Mine was set at 1200 but I hated being in the red so I manually changed it to 1300 so I knew I was eating my minimum and not going "over" into the red. I think freedieting.com gives you your max calories/day.

No, that was my minimum according to freedieting. I usually am under in calories and over in protein. :\ I need to stop liking meat so much!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything magical about this zig-zagging concept. At the end of the day, if you want to lose weight you need to consume less than you expend. (by diet alone or through diet and exercise, and I clearly recommend the latter) If "zig-zagging" is what you need to psychologically reach your calorie deficit then it will work for you.

I don't "zig-zag" but used nutritional timing i.e. if I have a big workout that day, I will make sure I eat the majority of my cals post workout to refuel. If I have a lighter day then no need to eat as much. (the majority of my zig zagging is done with carb-cycling really as the carbs are required for energy for workouts)